Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently replaced my 2000 Ford Excursion v10 with a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited. The Commander has the 5.7L Hemi, and I was expecting to get better gas mileage on the Commander than what I was getting on the Excursion but I am not. I am currently getting 11.7 MPG. I should have done more research before purchasing the Commander but didn't since it was an impulse buy. I have always loved the Commanders, but never been able to find one until recently that was still on the lot when I went to look at it. With that being said, what advise can you guys give me in terms of improving the fuel efficiency? I am not looking to get 20+ MPG as I know that is a far stretch! I would be over the moon happy to get 14-16 MPG! But even if there is really no way to get better than the 11.7 MPG I am getting I still love the Commander and perfectly happy with my purchase! I have looked into different things such as chips, and air intake kits but since I am not really mechanically inclined I don't even know what to purchase or what brands to consider. I have looked at the GForce chips and I must say the $70 price tag makes it tempting but not sure if I would just be wasting my money.

Anyways, Thanks in advance for any advice that is given!

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Abandon all hope. Use skinnier tires, remove your 3rd row seat.
Hyper extend your mileage by keeping your rpm's lower. Accelerate slower.
Use an octane booster.

·
Administrator
16,153 Posts
Try disconnecting the battery for 15-30 mins. and then reconnect. This will reset the computer and the vehicle will "relearn" your driving style. BTW I only get 10 mpg around town.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey. I feel the same way here a few things i did that seem to have helped. My last fill up i averaged 13.5mpg with about 60% being highway. I have installed AEM brute force cold air intake. Easily installed by yourself. Also I have a diablo intune tuner running the MPG tune. I also installed 245/75/17 tires and they really seem to be making an increase in MPG since I had them put on Friday. I was also able to reprogram my speedo with the intune....this is a place to start....the CAI sounds awesome at full throttle...but don't love the sound too much or it gets you NO MPG gains lol

·
Registered
451 Posts
I get 12-13 in town on 89 octane and dino oil. I got worse mileage on the syn. I also removed my third row seat and saw no difference in fuel mileage. I'm getting 11mpg towing my XJ(6500#) in the mountains.

How many miles and have you tuned it up yet? I changed my plugs out at 30k for some NGK's

I run Castrol GTX 5-20 and WIX filters. No performance upgrades

·
Registered
452 Posts
Just go bone stock on your 'new' XK HEMI. Here are a few things I would suggest:

Replace air filter, use either Mobil1/Castrol SynTec 5W20, replace PCV valve, tune-up (all 16 spark plugs w/ OEM/Champion Copper plugs), flush tranny and differential fluids, use unleaded plus (89 octane) gas. Make sure tires are OEM size, and make sure your alignment is set. Also clean out the throttle body as I'm sure that gets overlooked at times. I haven't tried myself, but also put in some Seafoam and run it through the fuel system.

Hopefully these answer your prayers for better MPGs. I get about 16-18MPGs mixed city/highway; when just straight highway, can get about 18-20MPGs.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Here is my 2 cents -

XKJeep06 - agreed except I went with Denso iridium plugs and saw noticeable improvement as well but the plugs will hopefully last 50% longer. I think that disconnecting the battery after a tune-up makes a huge difference.

Also, use 89 octane. The difference in mileage will more than make up for the price difference.

Stock size tires probably help. I have 255/70/17 and I get about 13.5-14 around town, 18-19.5 on the road (18.5 with yakama cartop carrier for 1200 miles).

I use mobile 1 synthetic.

Lastly - Go easy on the skinny pedal. Hard to do sometimes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Unfortunately removing the 3rd row seats is not an option for me since we use the 3rd row on a daily basis (We have 3 kids). I have been considering switching to 89 octane gas but just wasn't sure if it would be fore the few extra 20 cents per gallon. Next time I will up I will def go with the 89. I have ran a injector cleaner/octane booster through it but with no results. I have gotten 16 on the highway before, but unfortunately we are mainly driving in town and there are red lights at almost every corner... about ever 3-4 blocks. I try not to be to hard on the pedal since the gas mileage isn't great but I am sure you can all relate to just how tempting it is! We do have stock tires, and have to preformed an oil change yet, but it is due for one, we just hit the 3,000 mile mark and have owned it for 3 months.

Has anyone had any good experience with the cheaper chips? Such as the one being advertised in the ads on this page (GForce) They are only $70 plus shipping.

It does have a new air filter (i checked to be sure). And it is time for a tune up, Just rolled over to 99,000 miles. I will be scheduling the tune up in the next few weeks, so hopefully that helps also. Would you all recommend sticking with the Jeep dealer for repairs and maintenance, or is it safe to go to a normal repair franchise? The Jeep dealer quoted me a little over $1000 for the tune up! I almost fainted!

And last thing... Has anyone ever removed the center 2nd row seat thus making the 2nd row captain seats? Just wondering since we have a 1 years old, and a 3 year old and their car seats are latched into the 2nd row, our 5 year old has to either climb over the the 2nd row (if center of 2nd row was removed he could just walk through to the 3rd row) or we have to put him into the 3rd row through the back hatch and both methods are a pain... If anyone has removed the center of the 2nd row, what are the steps to do so and how does it look?

Thanks again for all the tips!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One other question... Jeep5253 mentioned disconnecting the batter for about 30 minutes to reset everything... Is it safe to do this or will it reset the stereo and need a code? I only ask because we had issues with the Sirius radio when we purchased it and the technical support representative for Sirius said it needed to be done but she would not recommend doing so because there is a chance it would reset the stereo and I would have to go to the dealer and pay them to put a code in to unlock it.

I never had to disconnect the battery for the Sirius problem since it was determined the the roof rack bar was locked in over the antenna, problem was resolved by moving the bar forward a notch.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I've had my battery disconnected for an entire weekend while workig on the Commander. Had no issues when I reconnected it.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Get a bigger gas tank, My two tanks hold 50 gallons. Close your eyes when you pay for a fill up and then you will feel like you go for a lot more miles between fillups.

The price we pay for our big toys. If it helps any, filling up the Diesel Pusher Coach cost about $500 in California and it gets about 5 to 6 MPG pulling a Stacker Trailer full of toys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts