Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, sorry to make my first post a "help" post but I'm having a real problem and need help.
I recently purchased a 2010 Commander limited that is lifted 4" (suspension) with 33,000 miles. I drove it to see my daughter and grand kids in Malibu from San Diego (about 160 miles) drove perfect the whole way down. Then the next morning my son in law and I got in in to go for a ride and after about 2 miles we Heard a pop and then a grinding noise started coming from the front end (drive train) the tranny shifts fine, the motor runs fine but there is a grinding noise when the truck is moving. We have inspected everything visually and it all seems fine, drive shafts, suspension, nothing rubbing. It seems like maybe transfer case or differential? The noise does not increase with speed but it is rotational. Any idease would be so welcome and appreciated!!! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Rock caught in the brake rotor dust shield?This frequently happens when off roading my XK? Failing bearing in the front axle? Does it happen at slow speeds? Can you hear it from outside the XK?

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you don't find anything obvious, pull the diff covers and inspect the spider gears. You may have stripped the teeth off of one while turning/accelerating hard with good traction. I've seen this happen to one GC 8.25

1 - 4 of 4 Posts