Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006, Jeep, Commander, Limited, 5.7, 4WD, QD-II
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up 2, 2006 5.7L Limited Commanders from copart in Dec 2020 and Jan 2021. One salvage, one clean title. Salvage one (white, in profile picture) didn’t need too much, ( I say that, but my father-in-law did most of the work, so he might disagree a little ;-), a couple new wheels from Facebook marketplace, (rims were bent in accident , I guess), new tires from Costco, one new TPMS (Amazon), a new passenger seatbelt lower harness (dealer), a couple of rear seat grab handles (Facebook marketplace) and it now has a rebuilt title. I’m really enjoying driving it. It didn’t have a radio, had already had an aftermarket install that was gone. Added a $30 Dual BT Double din head unit and a can/bus adaptor and now have radio in two I/P and front door speakers with acc power and cutoff with door open. Am slowly putting cut wires back together to use factory amp that was bypassed with new speaker wire spliced into the speakers at the amp, installer must have missed the rear door speakers?, or mixed them up, I hope. Sound should be better when front door and I/P have correct amp driven inputs. Rear driver side inner door panel off for new aftermarket inner door handle (EBay)
install and original BA 6.5 speaker still there and seems to be in good shape. Maybe will put a used 07 REC h/u with rear camera input if I find one reasonable on eBay. Also has factory rear VES. Bought a $20 pair of earphones on Amazon and it works good. Kids can watch DVDs and listen to CDs. Thought this Commander would be for parts, but.....nope. The clean title one needed new driver door, ( Facebook marketplace) and was misfiring on 4 cylinders. Father in law figured out it needed one new coil ( not sure where father in law purchased, prob advance, or rockauto) and other cylinder connectors just needed DeOxIt. Now runs good. Paperwork in dash says new long block only 20k miles ago, but leaking oil from head gasket, I think, smokes a bit. Won’t pass emissions yet though, due to catalytic converters. Guess I might have to bite the bullet on those if I want to get a tag for it in my name. Jury still out on engine condition as smokes from tail pipes as well. Curious , given only 20k miles.... Hope to be enjoying my Commanders for a long time. Love the power, ride, towing capacity and 4WD ability. Especially on weekend treks out of the city to the family farm. Daily driver is/was a 2017 Pacifica Limited, bought new in 2016. Except for gas mileage and adaptive cruise control and surround cameras on Pacifica, the Commanders are comparably comfy, handle well, and all around just enjoyable to drive. Not complaining about gas mileage, 5000 lbs and a hemi. Love the hemi so far. Already picked up lots of pointers during repairs from this site. Great resource. Happy Commandering, y’all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts