Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I am the proud owner of new/used 2008 Jeep Commander. :cheers:

I pick it up Saturday and cant wait!!!!

I was looking for another vehicle and was leaning towards a truck (explorer sport trac). After test driving and looking at the options and room and actually test driving and explorer same year (which by the way was like driving a corregated cardboard box imo.) I happen to see the commander and thought theres no way I would like driving this well....BOY WAS I WRONG!!! :slap: I was amazed at how awesome these drove. So I then test drove 3 more at other dealers and settled on this one. Granted not a 4.7 or 5.7 hemi but still had alot of zip and drove like a dream. I am so glad I gave it a try. Now hopefully I'll catch the modification bug and get to customizing it. :bouncy: For now thou will do some very basic stuff...mud flaps and maybe a air deflector as I know the front of cars and vehicles take a beating here in upstate NY

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congratulations

I had hired a brand new Wrangler for a week in Cape Town and when I returned home to my 08 Commander I was reassured that it is the most spacious and smooth Jeep made in recent years.

Show us some pictures :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not even close the difference between the other SUVs I test drove. I am sure that will be happy with my purchase. Most of the commanders I test drove were the 3.7l but I did test drive the hemi 5.7 and loved it but for the price and mileage this was better buy. One of them I drove had a lift kit in it I assume because it was higher...don't know by how much but tires were pretty much same size. I wonder how much those cost to do and if it affects the gas mileage?

And one more thing.....is there anything I should check on it before I leave the lot? Like any know issues with that model?

·
Registered
147 Posts
3.7 isn't going to have 4low

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
XK Lover..........how do you like your 3.7L? And do you take it off roading at all?
I was on fence with the hemi one I test drove only cause it was older model and I didn't care for all the extras....although nice.....just not my taste. I know when I test drove the 3.7 I noticed the right passenger mirror vibrated .....mentioned it to. Dealer and they said not much they could do.....I researched forum and found the article on how to fix so that will be first thing I do.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
It's not even close the difference between the other SUVs I test drove. I am sure that will be happy with my purchase. Most of the commanders I test drove were the 3.7l but I did test drive the hemi 5.7 and loved it but for the price and mileage this was better buy. One of them I drove had a lift kit in it I assume because it was higher...don't know by how much but tires were pretty much same size. I wonder how much those cost to do and if it affects the gas mileage?

And one more thing.....is there anything I should check on it before I leave the lot? Like any know issues with that model?
Welcome.

Most budget lifts dont effect the MPG in any huge noticable way, however bigger/heavier/more aggressive tires certainly do.

I have a 3.7L XK with 1.5" lift and 32" tires, new plugs/fluids/filter, and a hypertech tune. The tune up stuff and tune have more than offset whatever losses in MPG that the lift and tires have caused.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any particular brand recommended? I'm not looking for heavy duty and would likely only be in the 1.5-2.5 lift range....more for looks and more clearance than factory......and do most of you XKers install them yourself ? I would probably have professional do them cause I've herd that if not done right it can cause tire wear.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Any particular brand recommended? I'm not looking for heavy duty and would likely only be in the 1.5-2.5 lift range....more for looks and more clearance than factory......and do most of you XKers install them yourself ? I would probably have professional do them cause I've herd that if not done right it can cause tire wear.
There are several options available.

New Here? Read this Thread for FAQ's on Tires, Lifts and Spacers!

OME makes a nice lift spring set for around 3"

Rocky Road, Crown Automotive and Rough Country have similar a product (strut extension spacers) for 2-2.25" lift

Daystar has a (spring preload style spacer+strut extension lift), that is not quite as popular as above.

Bilstein makes their adjustable 5100 series strut that lifts the front .75-1.5-2"

This will explain some of the differences between them:
http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/Bil_LevShks_WebArticle.pdf

That ought to get you started.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Lucky.....I forgot to check that link out before i got to asking so many questions lol. I know what the lifter do and I am assuming the spacers are for spreading the tire track width out for stability? As you go up in height of vehicle? Sorry this is all new to me. Just excited to have a reliable vehicle and looking forward to customizing it. Just want to to make wise investments without affecting performance and or possible damage to commander. I watched a few videos on lift kits and I know its something I would not be able to do ...so will have to find a place to handle it. Thanks for all the suggestions. Some of the mods might as well be foreign language to me lol but in time I will learn them.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Thanks Lucky.....I forgot to check that link out before i got to asking so many questions lol. I know what the lifter do and I am assuming the spacers are for spreading the tire track width out for stability? As you go up in height of vehicle? Sorry this is all new to me. Just excited to have a reliable vehicle and looking forward to customizing it. Just want to to make wise investments without affecting performance and or possible damage to commander. I watched a few videos on lift kits and I know its something I would not be able to do ...so will have to find a place to handle it. Thanks for all the suggestions. Some of the mods might as well be foreign language to me lol but in time I will learn them.
No problem!

Wheel spacers provide additional room to add wider tires as well as a wider track width, which can provide a feeling of stability, as well as a more aggressive look.

Custom wheels can be ordered with reduced backspacing and that provides the same thing. IMHO this is much superior to running spacers, as it provides one less potential failure point.

Anyone with a decent tool set (socket set and lift + jacks) can accomplish any of those lifts.

I installed my 5100 struts myself. Cost was $210 for front struts, $20 for some rear spring isolators which provided around .7" lift in the rear, and I found a set of 5 custom 18" wheels with the factory tires off of a JK Safari for $600. JK's, WK's, and XK's all share the same 5x5 bolt pattern. Huge difference in stance and look, and improvement in stability and performance. My wheels have 5.39" backspacing (vs stock 6.5") which is the same as running 1.11" spacers; additionally they are 9" wide (vs stock 7.5") so the wheel lips stick out another 1.5" further from stock. The lip of my wheels are 2.61" further out than they were with the factory setup. I am also running a 10mm wider tire. It is a very mild setup compared to several members running superlifts with 4 or more inches lift and much larger tires, but for a DD type vehicle on a budget that carries kids around it works perfectly IMHO.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL DD run! Love it. Yeah Ive seen some serious set ups and love them but am on the same type of budget. Really not a huge thing for me coming from a ford fusion but I liked the feel and look of being up a little higher than what it will be. One of the Commanders I test drove had a 2-2.25 lift in it and had nerf bars...but it drove the same as the one I bought. I just like the look of it. So for now would like something long the lines of your set up but also maybe if I had to go 4x4 ing or down back feild road I could with ease....Not looking to do all that rock climbing/traversing ...as fun as that looks...but just having the extra clearance /look and feel of it is what I am looking forward to. Again thanks for the input as I am very inexperienced at this.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would get after all the old rubber bushings really. I recently did all mine and it drives like brand new now!
New lower control arms are 134 each on amazon (2 hour install if you are handy)
have a tranny shop get/install new bushings for the front differential (huge difference!)
change the fluid in the differentials, transfer case, and a full fluid drop of the tranny. I doubt the place you bought it from did a full divine service on it ever.

Look at your interior door handles, check for small cracks in the cup around the handle itself. These break apart fairly easy from a knee strike. A kit is now available to replace the cup kit instead of having to use epoxy like an artist for repair.

NEVER get the N23 update!!!!!!

You can buy an RER (low speed) NAV/SAT/DVD head unit from eBay for 350 to 400. this will plug right in and keep a nice stock look if you want.

Buy a programmer, it will pay you back in fuel savings when you set it to 87 gas and MPG saver mode. I get close to 17 in town milage with my 33" tires.

Your A/C evap coil may be leaking (very common in commanders). It is behind the dash and a very massive pain to replace with a newer unit. $14-1800 for an A/C shop to fix or a very long weekend to do yourself with $300 in parts. Google it.

Buy a Hummer Recovery Team sticker... they hate those :)

Dave

·
Registered
139 Posts
What's the N23 update?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The AC ecoil .......would that show leak inside engine compartment or underneath? I guess I am asking what I should be looking for? Maybe turn on the AC and look for leak? Just want to take care of any issues or bring to attention of dealer before I drive off lol. Handles looked good but trust me I will give another good once over lol. Sometimes a second look you catch more.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
What's the N23 update?
It was a safety recall to fix the possibility of your XK from shifting from park to neutral on its own. It was a flash that caused the 4WD system to not allow you to shift into 4WD lo and gave a Service 4WD System message. It has supposedly been fixed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What's the N23 update?
It was a safety recall to fix the possibility of your XK from shifting from park to neutral on its own. It was a flash that caused the 4WD system to not allow you to shift into 4WD lo and gave a Service 4WD System message. It has supposedly been fixed.
Oh OK. Yeah I was going to take mine into the jeep dealer and see if it needed any of the recalls fixed, as it seems that were quite a few when I was researching the commander. I bought it used, and it seems in great condition, but I don't know it's history. Are there any recalls we should be more worried about than others?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts