Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 06 Commander (2 wd 5.7 hemi) from carmax. I checked out the history and test drove it - it seemed clean and I love the way it looked ind felt, so I bought it. Carmax has a five day buy back period and magically on the sixth day, the first of many electrical issues started to occur.

- airbag sensor
- front passenger window out of sync
- brights coming on by themselves in auto mode
- ESP BAS/Traction Control sensor

on top of that there was
- squeal in the a/c unit
- loose front passenger door mirror
- squeals in the steering column

I took it in to get fixed and they've had it for two weeks juggling the car back and forth between carmax and the dealership! They said they had to replace the steering column! And, when I came to pick up my car yesterday, the front power locks and windows stopped working!! So they had to take it back to the dealership! CRAP!:icon_confused:

Please y'all, what should I do? Should I force carmax to take the vehicle back or can all this stuff be fixed and it's worth keeping? DAMN!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Check out the Lemon Laws where you live. Let Carmax know that you way to work with them, but if they don't help you sort this out you'll be in touch with state officials. Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well a little more to help--

The brights come on automatic is a feature --there's a camera behind your rear-view mirror that should auto-dim them when there is on coming traffic.

If you don't like it when you have it on auto there is a setting in the menu you can disable it.

What do you mean front passenger window out of sync?

The Loose front passenger door mirror is a known minor fix. If you search for it here on the forum, it has 4 small tabs that holds the mirror on the gimbal. Just put a drop of glue on it and it's all fixed...don't bother bringing it to a dealership (just a waste of $$).

The airbag sensor and ESP / Traction control sensor might have had an issue if they just conducted the most recent recall --- see if Jeep can determine if the recalls been applied, they may just need to reapply the recall programming (at no cost) to resolve.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Smells like a Lemon to me...I went through the same thing with one of their competitors Auction Direct on my wife's car she bought...Get in touch with a actual jeep dealer and let them check it out. See what they say because that will give you some leverage (Hopefully).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys y'all. The front passenger window rolls up and then back down again by itself. That's what I meant by out of sync. Also, I called jeep corporate and they told me there were no recalls for my "series of vin numbers". Carmax took the vehicle to a jeep dealership to be better diagnosed and fixed, and when the car got back to carmax, all of a sudden the front power windows and locks didn't work at all. That happened on the day that I was supposed to finally pick my car up. Sheesh. It's just one thing after another. I only drove the jeep for 2 weeks and it's been in the shop for over 2 weeks now! The jeep dealership told me that all the problems I'm having can be fixed guaranteed. But I'm not sure I believe them. I'm pretty frustrated. Is this thing a Lemon?? Carmax better come correct on this if so.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
The reason why I say it smells like a lemon is all the issues if correct...These places buff them out and get them to run and a month or so down the road they start breaking....since yours has so may issues so soon, I would assume it could be backed up as a lemon, some things may be simple other not so much....

On another note, Did they really make a 2wd Drive Hemi? Never looked that deep into it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The front passenger window rolls up and then back down again by itself. That's what I meant by out of sync.
Do you have wind deflectors in the window channels? The windows have a safety feature to keep anyone from getting anything caught in the windows when they roll up, so when the glass meets a certain resistance, it goes back down. On warm days, my passenger window will occasionally do that ever since I put in the wind deflector.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts