Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone im picking up my commander 06 on saturday. It has the basic radio single disc. what is the best nav/ cd system to get? i'm not an ipod guy but i have an iphone so i could become one.

here is a pic of my stereo.if the pic loads

Attachments

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The Factory Radios are incredibly expensive new from the Dealer, and even if you install it yourself, you very likely will have to still bring it to the dealer and pay them to use the proprietary starscan tool on your Proprietary Chrysler vehicle, to enable the radio you bought.

You can often find factory radios for sale on e-bay for a great price, from people that upgraded to aftermarket. Since the radios now work on the CAN data Bus, likely NOT all Chrysler vehicles will work with the Commander, make sure you do your research and find the right one before buying.

Used accessories and radios seem to work without having to take the vehicle to the dealer, NOT positive, that was the case for the Hands Free UConnect Kit. Once they've been enabled, they work in another vehicle is you switch them, its only the new ones that seem to be disabled and require a trip to the dealer to make them work. Which is even more outrageous, cause its means the new accessories come intentionally disabled for no other reason than to force you into the Dealership to pay for something you shouldn't have to.

Might want to look to aftermarket radios, but that gets pricey, because you need an aftermarket radio designed to work on CAN bus and NOT just any aftermarket radio. I'm sure you can rig up any aftermarket radio that is NON-CAN Bus to work, but it will require a lot of extra labor and running wires for speakers and power, etc.

Be careful of the iPod accessories from Chrysler, the Mopar Catalogue advertises it works with just about all iPods and iPhones. I installed it and it doesn't work with any of the half dozen different iPods I have tried. Come to find out, iPod firmware versions for quite a while won't work with Chrysler accessories, so unless you have an iPod that hasn't had the firmware updated in a couple of years, likely it won't work. I think several, but NOT all, of the iPhones still work.

So the iPod integration harness into the factory radio was nothing but a big fat waste of money and time for me, since I don't have any iPhones, but lots of iPods. Do NOT trust what the Chrysler Accessory Catalogue says about thier iPod products, try to find some internet reviews and forums posts through google search to see if there are people complaining that they bought and it doesn't work with their iPod/iPhone version. If you call Chrysler, they will tell you they are working on a fix, you'll see posts that span more than a year with people getting that answer.

An aftermarket radio that supports iPod may be a better answer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just did mine tonight. Over a year ago I purchased the Double DIN dash, the PAC CanBus adapter, the metra kit and the antenna adapter.

I spent a lot of time looking, re-looking and looking again but never wanted to pony up for the radio in my wife's truck. Well, on Monday I got her a new 2011 Ford Escape, traded in my F150 and got the Jeep all to myself. That also meant since I'd be driving I would have to finally do this upgrade.

Ordered the Clarion NX501. Good reviews, built in NAV and all those goodies. It was $800 ( not bad considering some are more ). The only con was it has no VSS sensor, so the GPS vs. Dash MPH is just a hair off.

I wired up the adapter in 30 minutes ( solder joints, not caps ), taped them, tied them, removed the old dash and radio and had it installed in another 40 minutes.

I did in fact look at going the factory route but the wiring and the work required to do this just isn't worth it unless you plan to be doing the project for a few weeks and hunting down all the parts. Short answer, going factory isn't easy or cheap.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I did in fact look at going the factory route but the wiring and the work required to do this just isn't worth it unless you plan to be doing the project for a few weeks and hunting down all the parts. Short answer, going factory isn't easy or cheap.
? I'm confused?
The Factory Radios should use the same connectors and be self-contained in the same box, it should plug and play. I could see there being the need to go to the Dealer and pay the Chrysler mandated tribute for the priveldge of having them turn it on for you, but NOT lots of extra parts.

As well, since it works all off a data bus now, I can see how some Chrysler radios will NOT work with the Commander, even though it fits and plugs in and you take it to the dealer for them to enable it.

Are you talking about the Factory Nav system? I can see how those have additional modules and satellite antenna's, etc.

Like I said before, e-bay, you can find $500 radios from the Dealer for sale for $90 from someone that replaced theirs with an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
142 Posts
factory equipment will ALWAYS be the easiest. its plug and play. the sat antenna gets mounted under the dash behind the radio. its super easy. i bought a used RB1 for my WJ a while back. it was as simple as pulling the old one out, and putting the new one in its place. super simple. aftermarket equipment will always be more complicated because you will have to use adapters and trace out leads

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Used accessories and radios seem to work without having to take the vehicle to the dealer, NOT positive, that was the case for the Hands Free UConnect Kit.
Once installed, the uconnect kit needs to be activated by the dealer - StarScan. My dealer charges $100.00 to hook the vehicle to a lap top, to upgrade the VIN to let the vehicle know what has been installed, which allows the accesssory to work! I got mine done for free because I had lots of dealer dollars left from my Jeep fiasco!

factory equipment will ALWAYS be the easiest. its plug and play.
This used to be the case, but times have changed. With Mopar, first you have to know if you have a high speed or low speed CAN-bus. Then, once you find a factory radio to your liking, you will need the Mopar part number to see if it is compatible with your vehicle. All of the radios seem to look alike, but once you start a search, you will be surprised. A single disc radio may have a 1/2 dozen part numbers or so, but they will all look alike! Same with the 6 disc and various NAV radios. Buyer beware with ebay, as some sellers do not allow returns. I have been researching this since April, and once I think I have finally figured it out, something changes! Good luck.

:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Given the opportunity, I would go aftermarket. There are a few here who put in aftermarket Nav/DVD systems in, and they only needed the right harness to plug in to the CANBUS. Aftermarket also gives you more accessory options, is less expensive (buy something refurbished - I did and have no problems), and Navs are easier and less expensive to update.

If I didn't already have the fully integrated REC system with VES, I would have tossed it out and put in a Kenwood or Pioneer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts