Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
My cousin picked up a new Commander the other day, but it is more like the color of the Liberty in the pictures.

He parked it next to my 4Runner, and I was surprised that it was almost the same exact size in every dimension. I looked up the specs of both vehicles, and sure enough the length, width, height are nearly identicle.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
So many people immediately assumed that the Commander is a big bloated gas guzzler. It is actually a very manageble size.

I think it will be a hit...

A couple of things will scare some people away.

The rear seats are a bit tight for adults but most people looking for a seven-passenger vehicle have a couple of kids and aren't looking to haul seven adults.

The styling is not for everyone. As a Cherokee owner I love the boxy styling. It isn't the bland design of so many other vehicles.

There are a couple of things I think that could make it even better. I listed those in another post on this forum.

Regardless, the Commander will likely be joining my Cherokee in my garage in the next couple of months.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I like the blocky styling.... Sure, it reminds me of the Cherokee, but it also looks a lot like the Rover as well. Maybe even the square look of the Hummers also...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love mine so far.. 16.8 mpg so far after 300 miles, beats the 10 I was getting on my old jeep. I wish they had done something else with the headlights, they just look out of place to me..

Ronibigdogmom said:
Looks just like the one I bought Saturday. I LOVE it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello everyone,

Congratulations to all who have recently purchased a 2006 Jeep Commander! I'm glad to hear the positive feedback. As some of you may or may not already be aware of, there is a section within your owner's manual that states a procedure on how to go about handling vehicle's break in period. Here is the section from the 2006 Jeep Commander Owner's Manual (pgs. 68-69):

"ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine in
your new vehicle.

Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55
mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration, within the
limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in.
Wide open throttle acceleration in low gear can be
detrimental and should be avoided.

The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a
high quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil
changes should be consistent with anticipated climate
conditions under which vehicle operations will occur.
The recommended viscosity and quality grades are
shown in Section 7 of this manual. NON-DETERGENT
OR STRAIGHT MINERAL OILS MUST NEVER BE USED.

A new engine may consume some oil during its first few
thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be
considered as a normal part of the break-in and not
interpreted as an indication of difficulty."

In addition, as your engine approaches this period, you should notice an incremental improvement in your vehicle's fuel mileage.

If you guys happen to have any questions regarding the all-new 2006 Jeep Commander, feel free to post. I would be more than happy to help.

Take care,

Miguel M.
Marketing Representative
Jeep Information Center
1-800-925-JEEP(5337)
www.jeep.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Miguel, nice to have you around. I'm loving my Commander so far -- about 1800 miles in the first month I've had it. Break-in seems to have progressed smoothly. I'm not seeing much oil usage.

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
114 Posts
I didn't think to take some photos yesterday when I visited my dealer in Southfield, MI, but they have a couple of tarted up Commanders that are pretty cool -- one's painted a faded inferno red to silver two-tone, with blingy wheels and Toyo low-aspect-ratio tires, and the others are two Commanders onto which they've attached the classic 'woody' siding. Vinyl, I'm sure, but it looks pretty good. Very retro Jeep Wagoneer. One's white and the other's blue, IIRC. The white one, especially, looked great to my eye.

While it's probably not something I would have _bought_ , it is neat to see people playing around with the concepts.

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
34 Posts
Commo said:
Miguel, nice to have you around. I'm loving my Commander so far -- about 1800 miles in the first month I've had it. Break-in seems to have progressed smoothly. I'm not seeing much oil usage.

Commo
Dearborn, MI

I didn't think to take some photos yesterday when I visited my dealer in Southfield, MI, but they have a couple of tarted up Commanders that are pretty cool -- one's painted a faded inferno red to silver two-tone, with blingy wheels and Toyo low-aspect-ratio tires, and the others are two Commanders onto which they've attached the classic 'woody' siding. Vinyl, I'm sure, but it looks pretty good. Very retro Jeep Wagoneer. One's white and the other's blue, IIRC. The white one, especially, looked great to my eye.

While it's probably not something I would have _bought_ , it is neat to see people playing around with the concepts.

Commo
Dearborn, MI
Hello Commo and thank you for the communication.

I'm glad to hear that everything is working out very well with your new 2006 Jeep Commander. I would definitely like to see the Jeep Commander with low aspect ratio tires. That would undoubtedly be interesting to see. I have actually heard some of individuals modifying their exteriors with a woody kit. And you're right, that is very reminiscent of the Jeep Wagoneer. Being a newly released vehicle always promotes curiosity in terms of aesthetic mods. Well, if you have any other comments/questions, feel free to post.

I'll be around.

Miguel M.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The styling on the new Commander is very bold and classy. It builds on the classic look of the Cherokee design. I see the Commander as a new and improved Cherokee that keeps some of the great retro style of past Jeeps. I love its look inside and out! Definately, "a Jeep thing!"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Personally, getting the sticker mpg would be nice but I live in Colorado where there's not too many flat surfaces but I have recently pushed 19mpg on the straight. Still not bad for a V8 with the capabilities and comforts well known now for the Commander. I bought the completely tricked out version since I was saving during my time in Iraq and I'm impressed! Wish they could kill the road noise a bit better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts