Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally pulled the trigger on some new tires last night for the Commander. I ended up going with the Goodyear Duratracs. We have a new Discount Tire shop open in town so I decided to give them a shot. Going in there Saturday, I had convinced myself on the new BFG KM2's. By the time I left I had changed my mind and was thinking seriously about the BFG AT's.

I thought about it some more over the weekend and yesterday when I went to the shop I ordered the Goodyear Duratracs...seemed to be a good compromise between a full out MT and an AT. My Commander is my travel rig so it see's lots of highway miles when we road trip but it's also my deer hunting rig and my buddy's go down to LBL a couple times a year so it'll see action down there as well.

Pictures to come when they get mounted - should be Thursday morning!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Congrats on the new shoes! Do you have a lift on your XK?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Good choice. I think the KM2's are garbage. Just my .02

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looking forward to some pics, those are the size and make I am looking at getting. Where in Illinois you located? DO you hunting in state? I go down to Mcdonough,Schuyler County for deer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LuvMyCommander - I do have a lift, I'm running the 2" Daystar on mine and I'm loving it. I also have 1.5" Fred Goeske spacers that I picked up here on the forum.

07JeepXK - I was torn on the KM2's...I had never seen a pair in person and really when I thought about it, a full blown MT just wasn't a good fit with as many road trips as we take...dang I sound like I'm growing up a bit!

8ball3290 - I'm currently in the Bloomington/Normal area but grew up just south of Springfield. I hunt over in Pike County (outside of Pittsfield) 99% of the time, last year I did hunt a couple days with my brother-in-law down in Salem, IL. and was able to put a couple does in the freezer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Alright, i drive past bloom/normal when heading to my place out west. I gotta place just north of rushville on 67. I'm sure you've been thru there driving to pike county, if you take rt 24.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am looking forward to your pictures and a review... the Duratracs are my number one choice for my (to be purchased) winter tire / wheel setup.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep I know where you are at over in Rushville, been through there a few times.

Chuck - no problems. I'll report back and let you guys know how they do. The 1st task will be a little over a 300 mile run down to St. Louis this weekend and back so I'll get a feel for how they handle on the road, noise, etc. The guys are planning a "play day" too sometime soon so I'll be able to try them out offroad. I'm not sure where but it might be over to the Badlands in Indiana or someplace like that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guys as you can see...no pictures yet. My Commander sat at the new Discount Tire shop for 5 hours yesterday without any work being done. When I went to pick it up shortly after lunch, they said they couldn't mount the tires because I had wheel spacers on it.

So last night a buddy and I jacked the Commander up, put it on jack stands and pulled off all 4 tires. I am going 1st thing this morning back to Discount Tire so they can mount up the tires. They must have a corporate policy to not touch vehicles with spacers...I guess that is understandable but I still think there is a waiver or something you could sign to say you won't sue them if something where to happen.

I should get some pictures tonight after work and get them posted up...I guess if any good comes out of all this, I'll have piece of mind that the wheels were mounted correctly since I'll be doing the work myself!

We'll keep you posted...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the new tires on this morning. I'll get some pictures posted this evening!

First impressions are they are awesome. They give the Commander some attitude. The ride didn't seem to suffer at all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As promised, here's a few shots of the new tires.

I've put about 100 miles on them so far, took a little road trip down to my parent's place and plan to continue on to St. Louis tomorrow before heading back up north.

Tire noise isn't too bad. You definitely know you have a much more aggressive tire on than stock but they don't scream like a full blown mud tire either. I am looking forward to trying them out in the soft stuff here soon. :woot:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sweet!!! I know what tires are going on my winter rims.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wasn't sure if I should go raised white letters out or not but I'm glad I did, I think it looks pretty decent.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I want this exact setup.. Actually have the exac jeep as well lol.. Any issues you have experienced? 2 inch lift only I want it with 255 duratracs.. Would I experience any rubbing with 255's? I read the other page and I think it was saying that I should be OK, whats your guy thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
With a 2 inch lift and 255/70's you should be fine. Worse case senerio you might need wheel spacers. I ran my 255/70 REVO's without wheel spacers or trimming and I had no rubbing. Each tire is different though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
awesome.. where is the cheapest place to pick them up?
Also, I jut looked on dscounttire.com an I dont see a duratrac tire in a 255.. is it even possible to get them in that size?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It doesn't look like you can get the Duratracs in 255. You'll either have to go with 245's like I did or jump up to 265's (but then you'll have to do some trimming and work on the pinch weld).

I did have a very minor rub with the 245 75's I put on but I was able to cure the issue with minimal work on the inner fender. I used a heat gun to heat up the inner fender and get it semi-flexible and then I drilled a hole, and zipped tied it back to the frame. I'm running 1.25" spacers, others have noted running 245 75's with no spacers with no rubbing.

So far I've put about 300 miles on them, mostly interstate and around town but hopefully I'll be able to get it out on some trails to try the new tires out. I have been in a couple nasty thunderstorms with heavy rain and the tires behaved very well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well with the 2 inch lift that I ordered yesterday and no spacers it sounds like I will be forced to go with the 245's to avoid a lot of work with 265's and no spacers. Thanks for the info Westy

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nice shoes

that is the tire i went with and can i say i am so glad i did . i went with a C load and i ride them at 45psi and that at times seems to be a bit stiff but it works on the Hwy... offroad i drop to 20 and they work nice i still get some slip but thats only couse i have a 3.7 and no 4 Low so i have to gun it sometimes haha!

i have the 256x70/17 and they LOOK GOOD!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I'm new to this website and finally had to give in... Love it here. Great info..

Now here is my question..

will the DuraTrack 245/70/17 run ok on my Commander with no rubing? I see everyone here has spacers and lifts.. I don't. I just ordered these today, I was going to get the Silent Armor 245/70/17 since I read good reviews here with stock Commanders..but the DuraTrack look much sweeter!

Thanks in advance for the help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts