Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Administrator
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have removed the spammers that you listed and a few others I found. Thanks for reporting those.

I have also upgraded the security features with a more robust system. The change may not be instant, as we will still need to continue to ban the spammers so their IP addresses get added to the listing (and checked vs. new signups) but this should start knocking out a large portion of them.

The plugin Richard added is working, as it will break their script, and force them to have the same title and post in the same reply. I saw a few of these today.

If you see spam, please continue to report it with the Report Post icon, or let us know here.

We have a few other options we can look at, but it will require changing the signup system / first post, or manual moderation.

I would like to give these new changes some time to get established before we go ahead with anything else.

Thanks,
- JB

·
Registered
359 Posts
User: "mreitonioa" has figured out the tricks admin, they posted 5 times, changing lettering slightly, then posted a new thread with a link. I recommend, deleting the posts where you said what your anti-spam measures are, change the link posting to either a different number (and don't tell us what it is) or a time frame after signup (also don't tell us what that is). I know you guys are working hard on this for us, and we are grateful, just giving you a heads up and some ideas.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
User: "mreitonioa" has figured out the tricks admin, they posted 5 times, changing lettering slightly, then posted a new thread with a link. I recommend, deleting the posts where you said what your anti-spam measures are, change the link posting to either a different number (and don't tell us what it is) or a time frame after signup (also don't tell us what that is). I know you guys are working hard on this for us, and we are grateful, just giving you a heads up and some ideas.
There is an easy way to report these to the administrators - which I have been staying on top of;

In the bottom left hand corner of every post there is a gray triangle with an explanation point inside of it, click on that and just type in whatever text you want - I usually just type "New spam thread" and hit send and it's flagged and goes directly to the administrators.

I've already reported his 2 recent threads.

·
Registered
359 Posts
no I'm aware, except I report every single post in his threads, But he's figured out the requirement to be able to post links, which he's made obvious. so what else is he learning from admin's post? I just think the anti-spam measures should be a little more secretive is all.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
no I'm aware, except I report every single post in his threads, But he's figured out the requirement to be able to post links, which he's made obvious. so what else is he learning from admin's post? I just think the anti-spam measures should be a little more secretive is all.
Gotcha and I agree.

·
Administrator
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The issue is that if you are a new account attempting to post a link / image, ect. The system will generate an error message noting how many posts your account requires for that action. This is to serve as a reminder to new members so they do not feel that they are being blocked or their accounts are not fully activated. This error message cannot be removed.

Spammers are constantly looking for loopholes or ways around our systems, so the human mind is something we have to combat at the same time.

We could look at upping the limit, so that mods/admins can catch their posts, but this would also affect new members looking to post as well.

As for the user themselves, I cannot find mreitonioa in the back end. Can you direct me to where their posts were? They look to be already handled but I want to see the differences in their postings.

Thanks.
- JB

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
The issue is that if you are a new account attempting to post a link / image, ect. The system will generate an error message noting how many posts your account requires for that action. This is to serve as a reminder to new members so they do not feel that they are being blocked or their accounts are not fully activated. This error message cannot be removed.

Spammers are constantly looking for loopholes or ways around our systems, so the human mind is something we have to combat at the same time.

We could look at upping the limit, so that mods/admins can catch their posts, but this would also affect new members looking to post as well.

As for the user themselves, I cannot find mreitonioa in the back end. Can you direct me to where their posts were? They look to be already handled but I want to see the differences in their postings.

Thanks.
- JB
JB,

A lot of the spam threads seem to get posted in the Wheels / Tires sub-forum.

But, mretinioa's last thread is located here:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/7-performance-modifications/60498-excavations-most.html

There are also still a bunch of spam threads in the Wheel / Tires sub-forum, but, they were posted on NOV 19th and 20th - they just haven't been removed yet, just look at all the threads on the first page that have zero replies.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/26-wheels-tires/

If you go back another page or two in this same forum, you'll probably see a lot more of them that haven't been deleted yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for addressing the spammers. Agree with Big Blue it's really annoying. Latest is by a user StephaNina and I've reported it.

One problem I've been having is with posting photos. I use Google drive (and don't want a photo bucket account) and I post the URL to my photo on the site using the "Insert Image" link but they don't show. I've even tried to resize those photos to under 1000 pixels in width and still no luck. So instead I end up uploading the photos to the site (which takes up storage on the site) and I'd prefer to post the links. Any advice? I may be missing something. If not could you address the links to photos hosted by google?

Following is an example. Why wont this photo show?

·
Administrator
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Testing

Alright got it to work. If you just use the url of the image, I was getting the same result as you. I right clicked, opened the image in a new tab, and used THAT url to post and we got a winner.

Kevin

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got it, thanks Kevin!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Kevin, I notice my images from google drive are no longer showing. Seems when you right click and open the image in a new tab, the URL generated is temporary or something.

If you figure out a way to post images hosted on google drive pls let me know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Test using photobucket instead...

21 - 40 of 86 Posts