Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a company that makes heavy duty struts for the XK? Looking to replace the stock struts on my front end with something a bit more beefy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
the only replacements I've been able to find online are the Monroe (sensa-trac?) - I put Monroe shocks on my Cherokee and they are a bit stiffer than stock...don't know about their struts.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Bilstein has them out, go to www.allshocks.com. I have them in my garage waiting for my Terraflex lift install.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmmm......it would appears the front bilsteins went up in price. They were originally the same price as the rears when I first check them out at shockwarehouse.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just ordered Bilsteins all around for mine as well. Shock Warehouse has them on sale and had an additional 5% off last week when ordered. Question for those that have them-I am on the fence about Rusty/related lift with the shocks. I put the bilsteins on my toyota truck and it lifted it about an inch, just enough to take some of the dork out of it. WOndering whether I need the lift with the use of Bilsteins, just to clean up the look and essentially "level" the Commander.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Go longer springs instead of spacers - the Bilsteins are longer travel than stock and you'll improve your articulation as well as your ride. Mine are Dobinsons and they are a great match for the Bilsteins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recommendations Needed for Replacing Struts

Hello,

I am "brand new" (today) to Jeepcommander.com but have found helpful info in the past when working on Jeep. I am not a mechanic but have always been able to fix any problems I run into (thanks to jeepcommander.com users).

I have a strut leaking fluid that I need to replace. I have noticed that I do not have the smoothest ride (Chicago potholes are killer!) and want to replace all 4 struts to give my Commander a much smoother ride. Does anyone have recommendations on what I can do or get for a smoother ride???

Thanks so much, and forgive my newbiness! :)

IncubusJunkie

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
On my two previuos Jeeps (1999 GC Limited and 2003 Liberty Renegade) I replaced stock struts/shocks with Monroe Sense-a-Tracks. These improved the ride 100%, and stopped the head wobble on the GC (straight front axle):eyemouth:. On my Commander, I replaced all four with Bilstien for a more controlled ride. I feel they improved my ride/control/rebound and sway 200%. There is a 25% off sale going on now. Let us know what you chose and what results you achieve.:eek:rangehat:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Definately go with the Bilstien Struts.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Threads merged.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I am a novice on this part of the jeep as most parts but what about the Rancho struts...around $100 each from a certain website and are available in different sizes (such as different collapsed lengths) that come up when the commander is typed in for part look up?

Can also find Billsteins all four (fronts and back sets) for total of 276.13

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have Bilsteins all round but the L/H front Bilstein failed and started to leak after 15 months. (out of warranty now) The preferred replacemnt in Australia seems to be the Dobinson and some say the Old Man Emu. I've been real happy with the ride and haldling of the Bilstein and the front one still works well except for the minor leak.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
My Bilstiens arrive tomorrow and will be installed right away. Im sure ill take pictures during the install and post them when finished.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts