Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I scanned through most of the threads here dealing with load index but I have a question. I currently have the standard P245/65-17 HANKOOK DYNAPRO ATM RF10's with a load index of 105 and I love 'em. I found a deal on the same tire with a load index of 111. Is there any reason I would have an issue with them? Would it greatly affect gas mileage? Opinions welcome! Thanks...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a similar question. I'm looking at Goodyear Duratracs and considering 245/75/17 instead of 265/70/17. The 245s have a load/speed index of 121 while the 265s are 115. 245s also have a lower speed rating of Q vs S. Would there be any noticeable difference?

·
Registered
359 Posts
from what I remember about load/speed indexes... no you wouldn't notice a difference. it's the rating at which the tire can withstand ripping apart for a given tire RPM, and I believe standard passenger tires are good up to 170 - 190mph or something like that. If they were rated higher than that, you'd noticeably be paying much more for your tires.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What I understand about load index is capacity rating of tires and doesn't directly affect mpg. For mileage, look into size and tire compound with the respective road resistance, observe the better tire pressure as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts