Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to get a leak repaired...turned out it was in the sidewall. All four tires were close to needing replacement anyway. I didn't want to do just one with the QDII. So, I decided to NOT get the Fortera's again. I went with Toyo Open Country. It juuust doesn' look right. I'm pretty sure they are the same size (haven't double checked), but the width doesn't look as wide. There isn't as much rubber/tread on the side wall or outside corners whereas the Fortrra's have more. Maybe that's it?

ugh.

my XK almost looks silly I think. But, not much I can do about it now.

If I was PLANNING on replacing them all, I would have done research ahead of time. Damn

·
Registered
444 Posts
Pictures would be nice... no one knows what u r talking about if we can't see for ourselves. Sorry to hear about your disappointment though.:cowfrown:

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Pictures please :)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Every tire is different. Just because it says 245/65R17 on the side wall doesn't mean its the exaxt same specs as every other 245/65R17. I have notice that our stock tires appear to be slightly wider then other 245's i have had in the past. Who knows?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to make sure I take a closer look...have different ones side by side to check out.

These Toyos just seem narrower. I'll get some pics soon...having trouble getting my computer to talk to the camera lately.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I only manage to find three of them 'Open Country' tires via here:

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires.asp?category=lgt-suv-truck

What tire size do you have currently installed. I've always been fine w/ the Goodyear Fortera HL's (although treadwear life should last longer than its rating; I'm nearing 28K miles, and the treadwear markers are about even w/ the rest of the tread).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
245/65R17 is what is on the sidewall.

I did some post research and found that the ones I have on are crap for off road and snow. I live in GA...snow not much of an issue, but sometimes we'll get enough to plow. Plus, I want to move north eventually...New Hampshire. Plus, NOT having much offroad capability...for a jeep...just aint right.

I got them at Kauffman tire...called them today saying I wasn't happy with them. I can swap them out for another tire...just pay the diff. of the new rubber. I was thinking of the Wrangler SilentArmor.

Anyone running standard size of those? Anyone running the Fortera Tripple tread SilentArmor? The tipples don't have as much offroad rating, but better then the Toyos.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AH...screw it.

Pulling the trigger on the Wrangler SilentArmor. Tire track has a pretty good review on it. NOTHING on Toyos. I almost chose the Tripple Tread...but I want the ability for off road more than the Tripple tread

·
Registered
953 Posts
AH...screw it.

Pulling the trigger on the Wrangler SilentArmor. Tire track has a pretty good review on it. NOTHING on Toyos. I almost chose the Tripple Tread...but I want the ability for off road more than the Tripple tread
Good choice! You'll like the Silent Armors. The Triple Treads are great street tires. I had them on an old Subaru and was very happy with them.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Our local police department just installed them on their SUVs this year and from what I can tell they are quite happy with the purchase. And my company put some on our work truck since we primarly drive on unimproved surfaces a week ago and the guys are pretty happy. So I have decided to plan for these on my next tire purchase. Let us know what you think when you get them installed and rollin.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll let you guys know...I'll be getting them tomorrow (Friday 12th) at around 10am when they come in. The Kauffman Tire there doesn't have my size locally.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
can I go slightly bigger with NO mods...lift or spacers?

I just want a slightly wider tread contact with the same diameter.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used to sell Toyo's and the A/T's are a great tire. They are what is going on mine after the Goodyears breath their last breath. The H/T's came out later, so I have no experience with them at all.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just put on Wrangler SilentArmor 245s...stock size.

Looks great. Next time I'll do the 255s or add spacers and go a bit bigger.

·
Registered
319 Posts
No Pics?? I'm curious bout' these....

·
Registered
807 Posts
Just came back from playn in the snow with my wrangler silent armors.they are awesome.I'm not completely sure but I think they may be just as good if not better in snow than M/TS.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts