Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my wife an 09 Commander Limited with the 5.7 and what i understand is Quadradrive (?? full time with low range ??) - it has 54K on it and is in great shape (appearance wise) - we even got the window sticker which says 13-19 for MPG. My question is what is typical for these in the real world? We are hard pressed to get more than 13 out of it with about 60% highway and 40% city - i know it's not a Prius but thought it would be at least in the middle of the stated range. I searched and didn't find specific threads readily on this, if there are, a link would be greatly appreciated. I am assuming it may be time for plugs - just through i would get some real world input on what everyone else is getting as i feel my way around this vehicle.......... thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep, same here. I took a 1500 mile road trip a few months ago and got around 15mpg, but that's the best I've seen out of it. Mine has 53K and I just changed my plugs because it had a rough idle. Now it runs much better, hoping it will help mpg too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've never seen better than 16 average for a tank.
it's a little disappointing, actually. My Mercedes ML weighs 5100lbs, and has a 300hp V8. And even with my oversized / off-road tires, I can average well over 20mpg on a tank.
But the Commander tilts at around the same 5000lbs, and with a 330hp V8 averages 14mpg.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10-4 - that's what i needed - sounds like it's about average - still planning a plug/ belt and hose change this spring when it's warmer, maybe that will help just a little anyway. Appreciate the confirmation!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never seen better than 16 average for a tank.
it's a little disappointing, actually. My Mercedes ML weighs 5100lbs, and has a 300hp V8. And even with my oversized / off-road tires, I can average well over 20mpg on a tank.
But the Commander tilts at around the same 5000lbs, and with a 330hp V8 averages 14mpg.
Agreed, i drive an Ecoboost F-150 - get's about 16 combined and easily over 20 when all highway - and the durned thing is quick/ powerful - amazing what technology can do for MPG sometimes.................

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The safety standards for the vehicles have really upped their weight and the pollution standards for the engines have really decreased their efficiency. Not to mention, mandated ethanol and other "oxygenating" additives to the fuel decreases the mileage they can provide. In winter, most areas have mandated blends for the weather conditions that increases the ethanol and other additives even more and thus the mileage goes down even more.

Newer technology, because of Mileage mandates are increasing their mileage even more, as well as the price of the vehicles.

I think the current year F-150 (maybe next years) have an Aluminum Body to combat the growth in weight of the vehicles from safety standards, and it barely any savings in weight at a great increase in cost, but the bar is set so high by all the different mandates, that is what they forced into with every little bit that helps being needed. As well, its arguable that the car manufacturer's learning the expertise to build aluminum bodies will benefit them and all in the future.

But for your Commander, the EPA has changed its test for MPG ratings to be more reflective of actual driving conditions, so your mileage may vary disclaimer of the past, varies even less today. BUT, you still have to drive like a little old lady to get the same as the EPA rated MPG. As well, if you're stuck in heavy traffic (doesn't has to be a traffic jam) there is no helping the mileage being lower than advertised.

Things to improve mileage, other than driving like a little old lady:
*You've already mentioned fresh spark plugs.
*Don't forget a clean Air Filter.
*Don't forget your ignition cables (some years Commander had them on their engines, some do NOT, having all coil over plug.) But, ignition cables, if you have them, do NOT last the life the vehicle, they degrade internally over time and with use and cut down on ignition energy. (there is a test for them in the FSM).
*Clean Fuel Injectors (a little fuel injector cleaner can't hurt once in a while) Chevron *Techron is considered a good one, there are more than a few that are worthless and nothing more than some alcohol in a bottle.
*Tires inflated to the proper pressure (higher gives better mileage). TPMS only tells you your pressure is getting low enough to be dangerous. You still have to check it and fill it to the proper pressure.
*Checking for stored fault codes and correcting any codes you find.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The safety standards for the vehicles have really upped their weight and the pollution standards for the engines have really decreased their efficiency. Not to mention, mandated ethanol and other "oxygenating" additives to the fuel decreases the mileage they can provide. In winter, most areas have mandated blends for the weather conditions that increases the ethanol and other additives even more and thus the mileage goes down even more.

Newer technology, because of Mileage mandates are increasing their mileage even more, as well as the price of the vehicles.

I think the current year F-150 (maybe next years) have an Aluminum Body to combat the growth in weight of the vehicles from safety standards, and it barely any savings in weight at a great increase in cost, but the bar is set so high by all the different mandates, that is what they forced into with every little bit that helps being needed. As well, its arguable that the car manufacturer's learning the expertise to build aluminum bodies will benefit them and all in the future.

But for your Commander, the EPA has changed its test for MPG ratings to be more reflective of actual driving conditions, so your mileage may vary disclaimer of the past, varies even less today. BUT, you still have to drive like a little old lady to get the same as the EPA rated MPG. As well, if you're stuck in heavy traffic (doesn't has to be a traffic jam) there is no helping the mileage being lower than advertised.

Things to improve mileage, other than driving like a little old lady:
*You've already mentioned fresh spark plugs.
*Don't forget a clean Air Filter.
*Don't forget your ignition cables (some years Commander had them on their engines, some do NOT, having all coil over plug.) But, ignition cables, if you have them, do NOT last the life the vehicle, they degrade internally over time and with use and cut down on ignition energy. (there is a test for them in the FSM).
*Clean Fuel Injectors (a little fuel injector cleaner can't hurt once in a while) Chevron *Techron is considered a good one, there are more than a few that are worthless and nothing more than some alcohol in a bottle.
*Tires inflated to the proper pressure (higher gives better mileage). TPMS only tells you your pressure is getting low enough to be dangerous. You still have to check it and fill it to the proper pressure.
*Checking for stored fault codes and correcting any codes you find.
Well you nailed everything that I came here to say and then some. :bigthumb:

Plugs are only good for 30k. Change those first. Use factory recommended coppers with the correct gap.

new Diff and trans fluid may help.

New plugs, fluids and tune increased my average MPG noticeably.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well you nailed everything that I came here to say and then some. :bigthumb:

Plugs are only good for 30k. Change those first. Use factory recommended coppers with the correct gap.

new Diff and trans fluid may help.

New plugs, fluids and tune increased my average MPG noticeably.
Aftermarket tune or verification of factory tune? - already has a K&N filter (clean), was thinking a tune might help (it has on all the others i have put it on) - thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Aftermarket tune or verification of factory tune? - already has a K&N filter (clean), was thinking a tune might help (it has on all the others i have put it on) - thanks for the input!
I am running a hypertech max energy tune on my 3.7L, there are other better options for the Hemi.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
On the Hemi it has MDS, multi displacement system, which lets the engine run on 4 cylinders under light load. Think possibly your 09 has an ECO light on the dash to indicate when it is running on 4. Also be sure to use the right oil, my 06 uses 5W20. The wrong weight can stop the MDS from kicking in. If no light some can hear the difference in exhaust tone when it is on 4. Another way is to reset the MPG display in the EVAC when you think it is on 4 - should read like 25 or 30 or more MPG, just keep hitting the reset so it shows current MPG. On mine I have had 21MPG for 100 miles when I had a tail wind - going 70MPH. I average 18 highway and 14 city. But the biggest reason for low MPG is the Commander is a flying brick as far as wind resistance.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Open up the Owners Manual (OM), if you don't have one, you can download it at the Jeep Website. Read what is recommended and do that, the spark plug change interval might NOT be the same for all engines.

Like recommended, make sure you have the correct oil viscosity in the motor, the MDS has solenoid valves that control oil to the hydraulic lifters. The wrong viscosity oil will mess that all up.

Ok, what do you mean by "tune"?

The PCM tunes the motor 20 times a second. The tuning part of Tune-Ups are a thing of the past. But you still need to periodically check and replace the consumable items that effect engine performance as they degrade. That part of the tune-up still exists, its NOT tuning the motor, but people still call it a tune-up.

The PCM is adaptive and will store corrections values for changes, so something like a K&N air filter make might the tiniest bit of difference in performance and the PCM should adjust to that. I don't know if I would call that an aftermarket "tune".

Someone mentioned a HyperTech, that would be loading the PCM with no fuel and spark tables, and actually changing the baseline tune of the vehicle, that would be an aftermarket "tune". Folks also do dyno work, with things like the hypertech, adjusting the fuel/spark maps, that would also be "tuning" the motor for better performance.

One note on the HyperTech and getting 25% more power with a press of a button. I'm NOT busting on the Hypertech, just keep in mind though, there is NO such thing as a free lunch. The more aggressive tunes will make more power, it will also create additional stress, temps and spikes in the parts of the motors. Why do you think race cars have motors blow up? There are plenty of reports of folks using Hypertech's or similar items suffering engine damage 50k miles down the road. No, I'm NOT saying never touch a HyperTech, just keep that in mind. Personally I wouldn't use the most aggressive tunes available, or only use them for a short while and go back to more mild tunes inbetween, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Open up the Owners Manual (OM), if you don't have one, you can download it at the Jeep Website. Read what is recommended and do that, the spark plug change interval might NOT be the same for all engines.

Like recommended, make sure you have the correct oil viscosity in the motor, the MDS has solenoid valves that control oil to the hydraulic lifters. The wrong viscosity oil will mess that all up.

Ok, what do you mean by "tune"?

The PCM tunes the motor 20 times a second. The tuning part of Tune-Ups are a thing of the past. But you still need to periodically check and replace the consumable items that effect engine performance as they degrade. That part of the tune-up still exists, its NOT tuning the motor, but people still call it a tune-up.

The PCM is adaptive and will store corrections values for changes, so something like a K&N air filter make might the tiniest bit of difference in performance and the PCM should adjust to that. I don't know if I would call that an aftermarket "tune".

Someone mentioned a HyperTech, that would be loading the PCM with no fuel and spark tables, and actually changing the baseline tune of the vehicle, that would be an aftermarket "tune". Folks also do dyno work, with things like the hypertech, adjusting the fuel/spark maps, that would also be "tuning" the motor for better performance.

One note on the HyperTech and getting 25% more power with a press of a button. I'm NOT busting on the Hypertech, just keep in mind though, there is NO such thing as a free lunch. The more aggressive tunes will make more power, it will also create additional stress, temps and spikes in the parts of the motors. Why do you think race cars have motors blow up? There are plenty of reports of folks using Hypertech's or similar items suffering engine damage 50k miles down the road. No, I'm NOT saying never touch a HyperTech, just keep that in mind. Personally I wouldn't use the most aggressive tunes available, or only use them for a short while and go back to more mild tunes inbetween, etc.
Referring to tune as in aftermarket plug and play or actual dyno tune. I have done both on both our cars/ trucks and all of our motorcycles. I know the dyno tune is the best, still like the plug and play since i can do it myself. Understand this potentially changes parameters for more stress - my overall finding is though most everything manufactured today to current government guidelines is so restricted there is a ton of room for improvement. The last one i did was our 2012 Mustang GT - i went with the Ford Racing option (admittedly a very conservative tune) that maintained all warranties. What i got was much better throttle response, feel in the seat of your pants and if played nice with the go peddle i actually saw 30 mpg on the highway a few times and could easily get 26. Appreciate all the feedback! - sounds like my plan of attack should be plugs and all new fluids to make sure it has the recommended in it, then possibly look into a tune. I know it's a brick - just think there is some room for improvement............

·
1,993 Posts
Obviously up to date maintenance like mentioned above will help a lot. The biggest factor is of course the driver. Now considering everything is good and clean and tire pressures are all good and driver isn't racing, the best reported MPG's come from guys running the 93 octane power boost program from superchips. Some of the worst MPG's are from people running the eco program from superchips LOL Your not lifted so getting a super chips programmer and running the power program might help get that MPG up.

The XK is a fun capable vehicle to drive especially the Hemi. Leaving people at the light is fun but comes at a price. I drive a lot of single lane country roads and passing is a dream in the XK. It's worth the extra $50 in gas a month to own it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love my 06 5.7L Hemi Commander....BUT I really need advice here...I bought it in 2013. I owe the bank around $14K. It's worth on KBB is Max $11K. Edmunds site bottoms out the value of my Jeep at $7K. It has 120K miles on it. Recently had radiator fan and radiator needing to be replaced.
Not sure if something else will break at this mileage. I have kept up with maintenance since I've had it. My after market warranty expires soon....advice? Sadly, I'm going through divorce and bankruptcy, so I have the opportunity to give it back to the bank. If I listened to my emotions I'd just keep it....however, I realize I need to think logically here...so I'm reaching out to other Commander lovers here....please advise....Should I sell it or keep it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Love my 06 5.7L Hemi Commander....BUT I really need advice here...I bought it in 2013. I owe the bank around $14K. It's worth on KBB is Max $11K. Edmunds site bottoms out the value of my Jeep at $7K. It has 120K miles on it. Recently had radiator fan and radiator needing to be replaced.
Not sure if something else will break at this mileage. I have kept up with maintenance since I've had it. My after market warranty expires soon....advice? Sadly, I'm going through divorce and bankruptcy, so I have the opportunity to give it back to the bank. If I listened to my emotions I'd just keep it....however, I realize I need to think logically here...so I'm reaching out to other Commander lovers here....please advise....Should I sell it or keep it?
Big question is what will you drive without the Commander? will you go into debt replacing it? will you buy something else that depreciates? If you can afford to keep it it might make better financial sense, if you have extra vehicles than get rid of it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Our 06 XK HEMI has near 140K miles now. Still running strong w/ 95% original parts (hoses, electronics, mechanical, etc.). MPGs are between 15 to 20mpg. Change w/ OEM/stock champion plugs every 30k as required. Remember on HEMI, there are 16 SPs... good luck when you do it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The other thing to consider, especially when on highway...use cruise. You have drive by wire in your hemi and the cruise will help minimize fuel consumption. I've averaged around 19mpg on highway (I did add a K&N cold air induction for the Hemi).

Plus your hemi also shuts 4 cylinders down when cruising to conserve fuel. Unfortunately, our commanders have about zero aerodynamics...so above 65mph it really never goes down to 4 cylinders. If you can keep the cruise set right at 65 ...you'll do better on the mileage.

Around the city...forget it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts