Jeep Commander Forum banner
2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  sporty92 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
I currently own a 99 cherokee sport with a 3 inch lift sitting on 31s. She has 167k and I love her. Im looking to get a commander because I love the way they look but Im not sure what to get. I want the 09 Limited with the Hemi, I know those push out about an extra 30 horse compared to the previous years. I want black leather and I know that was a hard option to come by but one of my biggest concerns is the 4 wheel drive systems in them. I have done some research and I think what people look for is quadra drive II because of the limited slip differentials. I also heard good things about the other 4 wheel drive system but I don't really know the difference. So my questions are...
What are the differences in the 4x4 systems?
What mods do you need to lift Commanders 2,3,4 inches, etc. and what tire size for each.
I am used to a solid front axel so Im not sure what I would be getting into by lifting a commander. I hear 2 inch is safe and you can fit a decent size tire under there.
Should I save money buy going with an older model with less horse?
What kind of HP do you get with air filters and exhaust vs stock?
Last question is what axels do they have? Ive heard they're Chrysler made but stronger than a Dana 44 and usually have 3.73 gears.
Thanks for having me guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
Look at a Commander this way really... It is the newer version of the Cherokee that Jeep would not admit to.

30Hp is nothing to worry over and should not be part of your decision really, find a working vehicle with all the hard stuff to mod already installed.
Limited packages have most of everything you want (nav, dvd, power seats, heated seats, etc...). 2009 and up have high speed CAN bus systems, this comes into play when changing the factory radio with a newer factory radio.

QDII is found on many limited models and it works just fine for me, I have not had a reason to know the differences between the models so never cared to know. QDII has electronic slip differentials for sure.... Well I think... Someone will key in on this and answer for sure.

The gears can be swapped out, Nitro gear makes a set for the WK/XK if you want 4.10.

Almost anything from a Grand Cherokee works on the Commander.

2" is super easy to accomplish and will hold a 31" tire just fine. I stuffed a 33" into mine when I was still at 2(ish) inches. You do need spacers to make it perfect though.

Big Blue has a link page with tons of links for getting stuff for your rig when you want to shop around.

You are not going to get any major improvements by air filters/exhaust, slight stuff that will adjust things in a minor way.

Programmers make the most bang for buck.

Big tires equals low power at the end of the day. I went from stock Hemi HP to something in the 200's when I put on my 33's. I had that on a dyno for the power coming out of the tires. I have 35s now and I am less concerned I have power versus having lots of usable torque.

Dave

#3 ·
QTI is the most basic system that you'll find with most V6s, basically a simple AWD system with no low range.
QTII is the next level system, active transfer case with low range but no ELSDs. Basically a 4WD system with open diffs front and rear, but also the best platform if you want to install your own lockers.
QDII is the top level system, active transfer case, low range, ELSDs that act as automatic lockers in most situations. It's hard to do any major upgrades to this system, but it works very well out of the factory. It'll probably go anywhere your XJ would.

What mods do you need to lift Commanders 2,3,4 inches, etc. and what tire size for each.
A 2 inch lift is easy enough, you have a few different options:
You can do a spacer lift. Daystar makes one version, but it's not recommended for longevity. The other version is the Rough Country version, also cross-listed as a Crown Automotive kit. It works well for lift, but you don't get any extra travel.
The higher end 2 inch option is the OME kit, which is basically new springs. You get the lift and the extra travel, definitely recommended if you can afford it.
Under a 2 inch lift, a 265/70R17 is what most people run.
A 4 inch lift is the next step most people go for, with the Superlift being the main option. It's expensive, and will require welding to install.
Under a 4 inch lift, you can clear up to a 285/70R17 with some modification.
Look at the stickies on the Wheels/Tires section for more info on what options you have.

Any year Hemi has plenty of HP to get a stock XK moving. The extra 30 HP probably isn't worth it if you're gonna pay a major premium.

You won't get any real power out of CAIs and exhaust, but it'll sound way better.

Last question is what axels do they have? Ive heard they're Chrysler made but stronger than a Dana 44 and usually have 3.73 gears.
Any Hemi is gonna have 3.73 gears. There's been some debate on what the rear axle really is, but it's closest to a Chrysler 8.25. Very similar to a Dana 44 as far as strength.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm not as knowledgable on this stuff as these other 2 guys, but I can chime in on some things I guess, lol.

You clearly like the power of a Hemi, so I would not recommend settling on the 3.7L if that ever crosses your mind. I hear they just don't have the necessary power for the Commander, and some people are unhappy with it.

'06 - '07s are the first 2 years of the Commander, and are Chrysler's learning years for the Commander, IMO, go higher.
'08 The commander's are pretty solid, the engines got a revision. Hemi's went up from 330ish HP (can't remember) to 357HP, and the 4.7 went from 285HP to 305HP. I have an '08 with 4.7, The power was very nice despite not being a Hemi
'09 - '10 the Hemi at the very least got another revision, VVT was added.

Yes, soooo many of the parts sold for the Grand Cherokee are %100 compatible with the Commander, and the Grand Cherokee is popular, luckily for us. As far as I know, The engine options are the same (minus the SRT), the suspension is the same, drive train, even wiring is the same. I bought this vehicle on a whim back in 2011 because I didn't have the credit to get a wrangler, and I couldn't be happier, I plan on keeping it until the wrath of God tells me otherwise and I wholeheartedly recommend it, it's a fantastic vehicle with loads of untapped character. plus no one seems to know what a Commander is due to its lack of popularity so better chance of not being a cookie cutter driving down the road.

Edit: I almost forgot, but I'm fairly certain only the Hemi and the 4.7 had 3.73 gears, the 3.7 had 3.07 or something

#5 ·
Horsepower

At least in my opinion is that depending on what you are using your horsepower for then it can almost work backwards for you too much horsepower can mean tire slip, and if you are off roading then that can be bad lead foot, tire slip, stuck. For pulling down the road horsepower is good, but an even load is easier to haul then an uneven load.We have a 2010 with the 5.7 and are happy with it in the stock mode but will most likely change it in the future.

Swanny

#6 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,
I currently own a 99 cherokee sport with a 3 inch lift sitting on 31s. She has 167k and I love her. Im looking to get a commander because I love the way they look but Im not sure what to get. I want the 09 Limited with the Hemi, I know those push out about an extra 30 horse compared to the previous years. I want black leather and I know that was a hard option to come by but one of my biggest concerns is the 4 wheel drive systems in them. I have done some research and I think what people look for is quadra drive II because of the limited slip differentials. I also heard good things about the other 4 wheel drive system but I don't really know the difference. So my questions are...
I am used to a solid front axel so Im not sure what I would be getting into by lifting a commander. I hear 2 inch is safe and you can fit a decent size tire under there.
Thanks for having me guys!
The majority of your questions are answered in this thread - take your time and read it in it's entirety.

Start with the 2nd post in the thread below:

Looking to Buy

Also check the sub-forums pertaining to the specific questions you are asking like the different 4WD systems Commanders have to offer - they are all addressed in this forum - several times over, just take your time and read.

By and large the 4WD systems in Commanders are the same ones offered in the corresponding years of the Grand Cherokees 2006-2010, so, if you are familiar with the Grand Cherokee's drive trains and 4 WD systems, they are identical in the Commanders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.