Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

I have never owned a Jeep product before, but just purchased a 2006 Commander with 55K for $13800 this afternoon. The (Nissan) dealer I bought it from let me take an extended test drive by myself, so I stopped in a nearby Jeep dealer and had a 23 point inspection done. It came out extraordinary, so I went ahead and purchased. I didn't even realize until I got home that this vehicle is "Full Time" 4 wheel drive.

Don't judge me too hard for not doing my due diligence. My engine blew on my old SUV and we needed something NOW. It will be the wife's car primarily, (and she loves it after driving it for a few hours).

My Questions/Concerns are, is there anything in particular to look out for with this Year/Model/Mileage? It's a 1 owner vehicle with immaculate service records and the mechanic that did the inspection said it was superb. The only 2 things he found were: 1) key fob didn't work - fixed with a battery from Walgreens for $4; 2) Boots on front stabilizers are loose - they quoted less than $300 to replace.

Help me out, give me congratulations, or tell me to run away.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It would be ideal that you work with your Jeep service adviser to go over your vehicle's service history. You can find useful information on TSBs/recalls/etc on http://www.xkjeeps.com/xk_tsb.htm . We have an 06 model as well, and did have a few issues were fairly common, such as:
1. Sunroof/Drain tube leak (leaked water into the front floor boards/carpet).
2. Window regulators replaced due to 'odd behavior' when trying to close'em (it'll go halfway, stop, and then go back down itself).
3. Be on the lookout on the interior door handles. These handles are prone to major stress pressure and create cracks (or breaks) the plastic door trims.

Nothing too major. We're @ 107K miles thus far, and it's still trucking along...majority of the original parts/belts are still in good shape. Good luck. Also, join us @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/397037013710452/ ... see you around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice XKJeep06 -

I live in Akron OH, and purchased the car in NW Cleveland OH. I obviously won't be driving 45 minutes each way for maintenance, so my first order of business will be to find a reputable Jeep/Chrysler dealer closer to home. The dealer I took it to in Cleveland found nothing wrong other than the "sway bar boots" were worn, causing a clunky noise whenever you hit a bump at a certain speed/angle. They also checked the VIN and found no outstanding recalls/ TSBs (whatever that means)/ and gave me the complete service history of the vehicle (Luckily for me it was purchased in Cleveland, only had one owner, and was always serviced at the dealer that sold it, so service records are solid and believable!)

Once I find my Jeep service guy, I will have him/her check the sunroof drain plug, although there is no evidence of water damage/rust on the seat upholstery, the floor, or the undersides of the seats/mounting brackets, so maybe the original owner took care of that for me.

I'll also be on the lookout on eBay and at Pull A Part for extra interior door handles. Ours seem to be fine (and quite sturdy), but with 2 young kids I guess they could go any time!

This is gonna be my wife's daily commute (about 10 miles, 1/2 city - 1/2 Hwy), and she loves it so far (2 days). She's a smoker and her old car, which I inherited, is filled with ash and cig butts. I made her a deal that if she kept the inside clean, has it detailed every other week, I will go above and beyond for maintenance. Other than this site, and a dealer, are there other good places to learn about this vehicle? The Jeep website doesn't appear to have an archive section, and I can't find out anything about it from there.

Thanks again for the previous suggestions, and keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Search "fix door" to read about the door handle problems. I have had to fix 2 on my 06 in the past year. The first one was a challenge the second relative easy. I have had some problems over the years which have cost more than I like to pay, but still plan to keep it for 3-5 more years. TSB means technical service bulletin.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Which engine does it have? 3.7, 4.7 or 5.7 Liter?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have an 06 V8 purchased about 6 months ago with 80,000 on it. I love it. The only thing I have noticed that you might want to look out for is a lot of misc electric problems. Seems to be common. The fixes usually seem to be really simple and cheap once you actually narrow down what the issue is. Never seems to be anything major. A lot of DIY stuff like fuses and wiring harness stuff.

Although it seems like you made an impulse buy on the jeep, I think you will be extremely happy with it. I did a ton of research once I made my mind up that a Commander was the only vehicle I wanted (unlike you), but wouldnt do a thing differently. There is no other vehicle out there right now that I have any interest in. My jeep is a beast and I love it!

Sounds like a pretty good deal you got too considering the mileage, condition and price. Smart move imo.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have an 06 with a 160,000 miles on it. I haven't had any major issues with it so far including those mentioned. Jeep is still going strong.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies -

@Creek - Thanks for links, I'll check them out.

@07JeepXK - It has the 3.7L

@Dirty_Walker - Yea, it was all done rather quickly and with only some internet reviewing and word of mouth from some friends who own Jeep products. Unfortunately, we have already started experiencing the Low Oil Pressure light problem I have read about in other threads. It comes on when first started, then turn ignition off and back on and it's gone, then doesn't come back on until car is stopped and then restarted again. From what I've read it's probably a bad sensor/switch that shouldn't be too hard or expensive to replace DIY, or I'll check with the dealer to see how much more they would charge to do it when I have the Sway Bar Boots replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts