Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys/gals,

Just bought my wife a 2008 commander(traded in her 2009 Lincoln mkx due to the pos transmission issues).

This is our first jeep and she will be the one driving it so far she loves the power and overall ride of the commander. (rides 10x better than her Lincoln). Plus its loaded with DVD leather etc

I am not new to the hemi engine as I owned a business called Michigan hemi performance for a number of years while in college. But my career takes up to much of my time so now I just get business by word of mouth here by local guys who I have already done work for in the past. I stopped keeping track of cam and engine installs after around 150 hemi engines. Working on 3 this weekend 5.7 hemi car cam install, jeep srt 440 install and a srt mag head/cam package install.

So now that the wife has a hemi I figured why not! This jeep will never see 5000 rpm plus due to the wife driving it.

So far ordered is.

sidewinder camshaft(best camshaft from my past cam installs to help with MPG and tq output). Plus mds kicks in longer

Ported PWR heads(best on market if you are interested pm me I can get them)

Diablo sport programmer. Being custom tuned via the cmr software for 87 octane for best MPG. (working with Johan at Diablo sport direct as well as my ability to tune)

180 t stat- # Stant-14148(get this at Napa its 1 mm to big so just trim it down and put it in works great)

6.1 hemi pushrods- due to the base circle of the camshaft these work great and they are only like 20 dollars.

Summit racing under drive pulley- I have had great results with this true dyno tested power was 12hp and 10 ft/lbs peak. I have a dyno sheet to prove if interested.

Stock Jeep SRT headers- cleaned up with a die grinder where the welds are on the inside to improve airflow.

I also have 2 complete 6.1 engines at my shop that might find a new home but for now this will do.

I will be working on a conversion to convert the transmission to a NAG-1

the stock transmission is the weakest link, so if I did do this I would throw the 6.1 in it and we would have ourselves a srt commander.

Again this is the wife's car.. :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Dead? Theres new posts daily. Stick around, this is a really helpful forum/community with regular activity. You posted first about 2 hrs ago amd theres been over 23views just to your post alone.

If you have a smart phone, I reccommend the free autoguide app. Puts all the recent activity right up front, easy to check, read, post and reply. The webpage looks dead, I think its just the outdated setup.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dead? Theres new posts daily. Stick around, this is a really helpful forum/community with regular activity. You posted first about 2 hrs ago amd theres been over 23views just to your post alone.

If you have a smart phone, I reccommend the free autoguide app. Puts all the recent activity right up front, easy to check, read, post and reply. The webpage looks dead, I think its just the outdated setup.
There is a lot of very helpful information, which is why I'm here. But, most of the members who wrote the useful information have left and moved on. I've come across a lot of older threads that have broken links/images and dated 2006/2007

I'd love to see a resurgence of this forum to the way it was in 2006/2007! I'm new to the Commander community and trying to gain knowledge about the Jeep. It's really a great vehicle.

I did not know there was an app for the forum. You'd think that would be published somewhere easily visible...

/rant

Back on topic. Op, lets see some pictures of the beast!

·
Registered
471 Posts
All true. There are still some extremely helpful and quick replying folk on here. Many are old school and don't like repeating themselves and it's become custom to refer to old posts to those seeking help. You obviously know how to use the search function, many newcomers ad passerby's don't even try. It's helped keep from having too many separate threads on the same subjects.

App is called Autoguide.com, forum is jeep commander.

There's 5-30 new posts on average and many more readers than that. New pics, mods, sales and updates regularly. Im gonna stop now cause I don't get paid to promote this, im just looking stuff up myself.

Welcome.

And ditto, I'm really stoked for this guys upgrades.

App is on apple and android/google phones.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to your post since you seem to have quite a base knowledge of all things HEMI. Cheers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with the "goat". This forum makes owning this vehicle a pleasure. I have never encountered this kind of thing with any other vehicles I have owned. Jeep owners really do stick together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good to hear guys looks like i was wrong!

Once the build starts i will update with pictures..

If i know anything its the hemi engines also quiet a bit about the ls2-ls7 engines as well but thats a diffrent forum!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
There is a lot of very helpful information, which is why I'm here. But, most of the members who wrote the useful information have left and moved on. I've come across a lot of older threads that have broken links/images and dated 2006/2007

I'd love to see a resurgence of this forum to the way it was in 2006/2007! I'm new to the Commander community and trying to gain knowledge about the Jeep. It's really a great vehicle.

I did not know there was an app for the forum. You'd think that would be published somewhere easily visible...

/rant

Back on topic. Op, lets see some pictures of the beast!

They just found their way to a different commander forum. www.theultimatejeep.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

Heads are at my shop

Heads havea 5 angle valve job with the best port job you can get along with the exhaust ports made to a D port so they will match up to the jeep srt headers i am putting in. Plus they flow better with the D port

$1500 with exchange of your cores. Contact me if interested.

These alone are worth there weight in gold.

Installed the diablo with the MPG tune. haven't got around to drive it alot to see if changed anything but i have been custom tuning it with johan at diablo.

If anyone wants a custom tune from him pm me and i can get his contact info.

Ported TB is being sent monday

REst of the parts should be showing up soon

Also i just picked up a jeep v-6 tranmission and wire harness for the trans. going to work on converting this hemi jeep to a true srt commander i want to use the srt jeep pcm and tcm harness. Have to do more research..

surprise alot of sports cars around here thats for sure, At least i have 20% tint on the front windows so they can't see a hot blonde driving that just smoked them!

·
Registered
471 Posts
If I had the money on hand I would in a sec. I'll break out the swear jar lol

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the heads,gaskets , udp, pushrods, exhaust manifolds which I ported.

I'm using the jeep Srt pulley since it was free.. :) from an install I just did. It's good for around 8% under drive.

Ported throttle body is on already. AlOng with a Johan tune via diablo sport. Mds is off as well as the egr. Also installed a 180* t stat.. Those alone helped with 2 mpg on the same trip 178 miles cruse at 74-75 gps.

Waiting on the camshaft still to be ground... Only thing I'm waiting on

·
Registered
14 Posts
It seems to be like this board is dead too, boss. I'm curious on what you stumbeled upon with those mods. If this forum wasn't dead, you'd be the main guru. Im interested in the Diablo tune for MPG reasons, thats about it. I'm an old school Toyota guy by trade, with my TE31 '79 toyota running 11.86 @ 118 mpg myself. I pretty much converted to a Dodge person after my new Ram. I traded in my 2011 Ram Laramie 5.7 yesterday. I bought a house and got married, etc etc. I'll miss it, I don't intended to own this vehicle too long, I might pass it over to my wife here after I pay it off.
Which other forum have you run into that's more active than this? This is my second post and it's easy to change it up this early in the game.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts