Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but not new to jeeps.just purchased LT khaki 4.7 for my wife .she wanted 7 pass.so the deal had to be that the vehicle had to tow.(of course my LJ).a little noise issue ,but thanks to the forum that should be solved.
my next question is has anyone bought jeep class 4 hitch and harness and installed it.i perfer the jeep brand,hope its a plug in harness.
thanks steve

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey Steve,

Check out the thread below...

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799

Or just go the the section here titled Interior / Exterior Modifications

Page down to the thread on adding a class 4 hitch.

Hope this helps. Too bad your Commander didn't come from the factory with the hitch. I'm not sure, but there may be issues about a transmission cooler if towing a moderate to heavy load.

Good Luck

PS I have a 4.7L Commander and so far, I love it. Picked it up last March. Absolutely no trouble so far.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
My 06 JC came with the tow package, does it have a transmission cooler. When I look at the raidiator, there is a small set of cooling fins in front of it, which I always though was a transmission cooler.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks guys next ?what is the heavy duty cooling package thats listed on the sticker? as well as theelectric fan at the radiator? please don,t take this reply as to be curt.i really didn,t reseach as this purchase was spur of the moment.....thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Whether or not the Commander has a transmission cooler that is either standard or comes with the Trailer Tow Group (Class IV Hitch Receiver) is the question. I don't know the answer although from reading the Commander brochure, as far as I can tell, there is NO option for a transmission cooler only. The Trailer Tow Group has a list price of $255 and @ this price, it seems maybe a little low to include a cooler. On the other hand, the vehicle is rated to tow more than 7,000 pounds so one would think there would be a cooler.

·
Registered
473 Posts
maybe the JC came with the trans cooler stock. i don't have the tow package so i'll look to see if i have one on mine.
a trans cooler is a good idea whether towing or not. the cooler you keep your trans fluis the longer it will last.

·
Registered
48 Posts
From the Jeep website there are two towing options:
Trailer Tow Group includes a class II hitch and wiring harness
Trailer Tow Group IV includes a class IV hitch and 7 and 4 pin harnesses.

Also on the website if you have a 4.7L it apparently comes with Heavy Duty engine cooling as part of the V8 package. The V6 list standard engine cooling.

Creek, I think the small radiator you are looking at is a power steering cooler. When I traced the lines they return to the power steering pump. Many of the older trucks with transmission cooling systems ran the tranny fluid through the radiator which was essentially a tranny cooler inside of the radiator.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
again guys thanks.before it got dark poked around under the hood.the small cooler is the power steering and it seems that the tranny cooler is intergral with the a/c condenser.(top 4"s slightly thicker than the rest).I will grill the stealership today with more ?s to confirm info.also may buy the classIV hitch .thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.