Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2008 Commander

So, I have a 2008 jeep Commander. Bad part is it Over heated which blew the water bump. I have replaced the water pump however over heating resulted in a blown head gasket. Jeep is in very good condition with no rust. Two brand new back tires. Good fronts. 166,500 miles. Looks and drove very well. Not sure if it’s worth fixing or selling. It has the 3.7L V-6 engine. I’m not sure I want to put the money back in to it or not. If I decide to can I put the small V-8 in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,188 Posts
So, I have a 2008 jeep Commander. Bad part is it Over heated which blew the water bump. I have replaced the water pump however over heating resulted in a blown head gasket. Jeep is in very good condition with no rust. Two brand new back tires. Good fronts. 166,500 miles. Looks and drove very well. Not sure if it’s worth fixing or selling. It has the 3.7L V-6 engine. I’m not sure I want to put the money back in to it or not. If I decide to can I put the small V-8 in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
@Margasix;

Welcome to the forum.

If you have a blown head gasket as the result of the engine overheating, if you like your Commander and think it's in good enough shape, I'd replace the engine with a rebuilt engine.

I think you'll be much happier in the long run.

If it was me, I'd find a rebuilt 2008 4.7L engine - the only problem is - you'd have to replace the transmission too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s what I was unsure about....transmission! I haven’t started to look yet but any guesses as to what a rebuilt engine and tranny would run me?

Happy Thanksgiving ?? to all!!

·
Super Moderator
6,188 Posts
That’s what I was unsure about....transmission! I haven’t started to look yet but any guesses as to what a rebuilt engine and tranny would run me?

Happy Thanksgiving ���� to all!!
If I had to guess, I'd say around $4,500 for both the engine & transmission - if you can find a package deal on both somewhere but that does not include the labor charges for installation - unless you are doing the work yourself.

I couldn't even speculate what the labor would cost - and again, if you have the installation done at the same place you buy the engine & tranny - they will probably give you some kind of discount on the labor.

Your best bet would be finding an engine & tranny shop that specializes in this kind of work specifically and getting a quote from them, for the entire job, before you make any final decision - most shops like this will give you an estimate free of charge.

·
Super Moderator
6,188 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts