Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Well, I am replacing my stock wheels in the next few weeks and was wondering what I should do in regards to the TPMS sensors? Should I take the old ones out of my current wheels or buy a new set? Is it difficult to take the old ones out? Also, around how much does a set of these cost (I have seen prices for aftermarket ones, but don't know if I can trust them)? Would really appreciate input from anyone thats done this, since this is an important feature to me that I do not want to lose. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got all 4 rebuilt when I put on new rubber last month it was $15 each tire @ Americas Tire.. hope that helps

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
According to the manufacturer, you are supposed to rebuild them. They sell rebuild kits. When I bought new wheels, I bought new sensors also, that way I can leave my stock wheels and tires ready to go if I ever need one. The dealer lists them for like $38 each. Discount tire sold me mine for about $28 each when I bought the whole package, wheels, tires, sensors, mount and balance.......

·
Registered
248 Posts
First off your new rims need to be able to have the TPMS in the first place. I don't think those are universal and can go in any rim. Once you have compatible rims it's much easier and cheaper, like everyone said, to move the old ones into the new rims. There is no reason to buy new ones. Just make sure you inform them at your stock rims have the TPMS because I have heard of shops breaking them not knowing they were in there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
All aftermarket wheels made after 08 have to be made TPMS safe or they have to include an adapter kit. You use the rebuild kits because the rubber grommet gets smashed down. You can reuse them but sometimes they tend to leak because they were over tightened at the factory

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discount just installed new ones for me and programmed them into the ECU. Was pretty simple swap. Suggest the rebuilt as previously stated. Cost me nothing, so can't help there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts