Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a new Uconnect system available. I just installed the kitmyself. I am a mechanic at a Jeep Dealer in MD. The new kit comes with a smaller 2 button pad that you mount on the dash. A small mic I mounted by the homelink buttons. You get a telematics module that is identical to the factory original and you can mount it in the same location in the right kick panel. A wiring harness that you connect the pad, mic, and module to the factory radio. They book states it is only for 2007 model Commanders but I have an 06 with the REC Nav radio. It works just like factory. Caller Id and everything comes up on the screen as if it was factory original. Only difference is you dont need a mirror. I paid 237.00 for the kit. Thats my employee cost. So if you want factory uconnect get the kit. I dont have the part # handy but I will post it asap. Again, its not like the old kit. This is the same as factory with all the options!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Send us the part number, pics and availability when you can. I'd like to know if this could be integrated into the factory UConnect mirror so that you don't have to use the dash pod.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wiring harness is made for the pod and mic. I really doubt you can integrate the factory uconnect mirror. The pod is only about 2" square and very clean looking.I will try to post pics of my install tomorrow. I also have a 10.2 inch mirror monitor so the factory mirror would have been useless to me.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
It lists all 2007 Jeep products.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This kit will not work in a wrangler. As far as I know there will not be a kit made for the wrangler. I do all of the installs at work for these. The u connect button on the wrangler radios are not setup to work. My brother owns a wrangler and I have called to see if they are going to develope the kit and they responded with a no.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
neongts said:
This kit will not work in a wrangler. As far as I know there will not be a kit made for the wrangler. I do all of the installs at work for these. The u connect button on the wrangler radios are not setup to work. My brother owns a wrangler and I have called to see if they are going to develope the kit and they responded with a no.
Not sure why it work, just because Uconnect isn't a factory option on the Wrangler???

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a Wrangler and have test-drove the Commander; there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in the amount of in-vehicle noise in these two vehicles. The new Liberty is quite a bit more quiet than the Wrangler, and the Commander significantly more. How well would you expect the UConnecnt system/blue tooth to perform in the Wrangler? I have a difficult time talking on the phone and the volume level on my radio is pretty high when my Wrangler's on the highway.

Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
PHK said:
I've got a Wrangler and have test-drove the Commander; there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in the amount of in-vehicle noise in these two vehicles. The new Liberty is quite a bit more quiet than the Wrangler, and the Commander significantly more. How well would you expect the UConnecnt system/blue tooth to perform in the Wrangler? I have a difficult time talking on the phone and the volume level on my radio is pretty high when my Wrangler's on the highway.

Just a few thoughts.
Didn't mean it would be a good idea :D , just was wondering why it wouldn't be technically possible. The Uconnect probably would work fine on a JK hardtop with the top on.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I don't know about that... I hated my Wrangler with the top on....soft or hard... The only way to enjoy that baby was cruising around with the top and doors off!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Wrangler certainly shines with the top off, but in long central New York winters, the hardtop with rear window defrost sure made driving somewhat more bearable ;) Actually, it was quite fun when there was nary a vehicle on the roads and you could tear it up in a parking lot with other 4x4's when the blizzards came through - good times :)

The Wrangler (YJ) is now in Southern California and its easy to have no top - the way the YJ likes it! :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wanted to let you all know if you didnt already.

I am getting ready to get my UConnect and it DOES have to be star scanned.

Per the dealer. It has to be turned on.

Jim

·
Registered
251 Posts
Milkman, If you are installing the one in this post (newer version) it may not need to be turned on but may work just fine. I have read where it will just recognise it. Are you installing the newer version posted here or the one that is full factory like offered from moparsupercenter? Just wondering.

·
Registered
154 Posts
sorry for the delayed reply. I am getting the accessory one from the stealer. The one that works like factory with the little pad. NO MIRROR. I am getting it in a few weeks when I get back from Vacation in 2 weeks.

The dealer said it needs scanned but what do they know :)

Jim

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
milkman said:
The dealer said it needs scanned but what do they know :)

Jim
The dealer told me my VES needed to be scanned too but when I installed it it started right up without a trip to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts