Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I was looking around before posting and found some valuable info but still needed to ask. I'm looking to buy new rims and tires for the commander. Wheels are 18x9 with an offset of +25. what's the biggest tire size (Baja MTZ) I can go without a lift and rubbing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Are you willing to put on a very affordable 2" lift (i use the term "lift" lightly.. its just spacers that are easy to install).

Doing so will not only improve the looks of your jeep, but will also greatly increase the potential tire sizes you can run with those wheels.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I'm open to it. What lift kit is it?

Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
The smallest size MTZ for an 18inch wheel seems to be a 275/70... You will not be able to fit that size tire with out a lift, and with a lift it may still rub. I think with the offset you plan to run, this size will probably do the job with light or no rubbing. I cant tell you from experience, but Im sure someone around the forum is running something similar. IMO the 2 inch "lift" is a must have for all Commanders, and like Matt said, it's "very affordable".

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info!

Im currently running Nitto Terra Graplers on the stock wheels. Looking for something new and wanted to give the car a more off road/aggressive look. I think the 18's will look good but a little hesitant because of fitment. I'm going to call RC today and probably order the 2" lift.

Any other suggestions would be greatly apprecaited.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just go with 17's so you have more options. Thats what I did and still wish I didnt go by 9". You need to go at least 265's on that width rim. A lot of guys here really like 255/75's and I can never run them. 17x8 or 17x8.5 I think is way better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wheel I'm looking at is offered in a 17x8.5 with a 0 and +25 offset. Obviously my main concern is rubbing. If I can run those wheels with a 265/75 size tire then I think it's a plus. Looking for a more aggressive look so I believe the +25 offset is the way to go.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The size would actually be a 265/70.. Anyone running these? How's the ride/noise?

THank you!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes I am running 265/70s as are a bunch of other people. Ride noise depends on tread obviously which also effects gas mileage and traction. I love my tires but dont do enough off roading to make them worth it I dont think but the compliments I get everywhere, all the time, make it worth it. I am running the MTR w/ Kevlar so cannot comment specifically on BAJA MTZ but mud terrains are mud terrains. They are going to be loud, annoying on the freeway, but worth it off road and worth it to look at.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Already ordered the wheels! Hopefully they'll get in within the next week or so.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Which offset did you end up going with? Also did you get the 18's? A lot of us are running 265/70R17s which is basically the biggest size you can go with when running a 2 inch lift. Depending on what tire size you go with you'll have to do the pinch weld mod.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went with a 17" wheel and an offset of O. The +25 would have tucked them in to much for my taste. I think having them stick out a bit will make the car look more aggressive and that's what I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
A 17x8.5 with 0 offset will sit out approx. 1/2 inch more then my current set up. Im running 265/70R17 MT/R's with Kevlar on stock wheels with 1.25 inch spacers. I had to do the pinch weld modification and remold the inner fender well plastic up front and still have slight rubbing issues with my 2 inch lift. Your definately going to have to do the pinch weld mod and hopefully that will do the trick with the rubbing issues.

·
1,993 Posts
A 17x8.5 with 0 offset will sit out approx. 1/2 inch more then my current set up. Im running 265/70R17 MT/R's with Kevlar on stock wheels with 1.25 inch spacers. I had to do the pinch weld modification and remold the inner fender well plastic up front and still have slight rubbing issues with my 2 inch lift. Your definately going to have to do the pinch weld mod and hopefully that will do the trick with the rubbing issues.
Do you get more rubbing the farther you get your tires to stick out?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Do you get more rubbing the farther you get your tires to stick out?
Bumping this back to the top in hopes that someone has an answer to Sal's question.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well I got the rims in yesterday and picked up the tires today. Did a quick test fit and will be ordering the 2" RC kit hopefully by tomorrow. Really excited!! But the rubbing is definitely something I need to take care of.

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Its a V Tec wheel with Baja MTZ's.. I'll be taking a picture of the whole set up once its on the car. She needs to be washed but slowly but surely she is being transformed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts