Jeep Commander Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
FYI: This site may've been the most helpful for me to figure out exactly what size wheels/tires to pick when I was shopping. It gives you a visual reference with exact measurements to show how much further out/in a set of wheels will be compared to your current setup. For instance, I knew that I started w/stock wheels at 6" BS. I reduced that by 1.25" w/the wheel spacers I had on there, giving me a 4.75" BS.This calculator puts that at roughly +12 on the offset. The wheels I was looking at were 8" wide 4.5" BS (0 offset).

After punching all those numbers into the calculator in the first link, it spits out these stats:

Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 5.7mm (.25") further away from the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 18.4mm (.75") more than before.

And you get this helpful diagram to illustrate

Anyway, just wanted to pass this along b/c I know I was really effing confused trying to figure this out on my own until I came across this site.

Hope you all have a merry Christmas!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's a dumb, possibly simple question. I have an '09 Commander with RC 2" lift with 1.5" spidertrax spacers on stock 17" rims with BFG 245/75/17 all terrains. All the clearances are good, just some minor, minor rub that I'll fix with pulling back the wheel housing that should fix this. The tire shop completely scratched all, yes all the outer surfaces of my rims. They owe me 4 new rims. Question is, are there any off the shelf aftermarket rims that have the proper backspacing that would let me eliminate the spacers? I just now found this out and have to look for some new rims that this shop will pay for. I'd like to compromise with them, obviously aftermarket rims will be less expensive for them and possibly an upgrade for me. I've got the advanced TPMS on the truck as well.

Thanks,
Probably too late to ask this because this was posted 8 years ago, but I don't understand why 1.5" spacers were needed?

On Tire Size.com the tire comparison from stock to the taller tire just changed the height, not the width?

Tire Size Comparison Calculator

Size 1 245/65R17 Size 2 245/75R17

Compare

Size 1 Size 2
Diameter
29.5" 31.5" +6.8%

Width
9.6" 9.6" 0%

Sidewall
6.3" 7.2" +14.3%

Circum.
92.8" 98.8" +6.8%

Revs/Mile
683 641 -42

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

I`m considering the exact same lift and size tire upgrade or 265/70R17 tires, but I don`t want wheel spacers. I know they would be needed for the 265's(or different offset rims like the AEV JK Pintler) because the width from stock is 9.6" to 10.6".

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Has anyone ran 33" tires on their commander after lifting? I have a 2019 Wrangler Rubicon and want to swap them out... What makes more sense than put them on the Commander?!
I'm running 33's right now; LT285/70/17 Good Year Wrangler DuraTracs.

You need to be running the 4 inch Superlift for them to fit and you still need to complete the pinch-weld mod and some trimming of the wheel tubs and door sills.

You will not fit 33 inch tires with a 2 or 3 inch lift.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm running 33's right now; LT285/70/17 Good Year Wrangler DuraTracs.

You need to be running the 4 inch Superlift for them to fit and you still need to complete the pinch-weld mod and some trimming of the wheel tubs and door sills.

You will not fit 33 inch tires with a 2 or 3 inch lift.
What is your center wheel to top fender lip measurment? Front and rear?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts