Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
What is the size of the wheel and the wheel backspacing?

·
Registered
176 Posts
how'd you get free tires for life from jeep?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The stock tire shouldn't be mounted on an 8.5 inch wide wheel. The tire isnt wide enough. I wouldnt recommend running anything less then a 265mm wide tire on a 8.5 inch wheel.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I just calculated the backspacing of those wheels for you. The first wheel with +25 offset will have approx 5.73 inches of backspacing and the second wheel with 0 offset will have approx 4.75 inches of backspacing. With that being said the first wheel will sit out about 1.77 inches further then the stock wheel and the second wheel will sit out about 2.75 inches further then the stock wheel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks 07jeepxk,

I emailed V-TEC in reference to fitting the stock tire on this wheel. The stock wheel is 17x7.5 at discount tire center they matched the stock tires with this wheel.

I have not received a response yet; this is new to me and I want to get it right. So the stock tire 245/65R17 is not wide enough for this wheel. Time to look for a new wheels!

I also need to know if the (TPMS) stems will work with aftermarket wheels?

BRC

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Wow, thanks 07jeepxk,

I emailed V-TEC in reference to fitting the stock tire on this wheel. The stock wheel is 17x7.5 at discount tire center they matched the stock tires with this wheel.

I have not received a response yet; this is new to me and I want to get it right. So the stock tire 245/65R17 is not wide enough for this wheel. Time to look for a new wheels!

BRC
The stock tires in theory will fit on an 8.5 inch wheel but you will be stretching the tire over a wide wheel. I really wouldnt recommend doing this for safety purposes. An 8.5 inch wheel is meant for a tire in the range of 11.5 - 12.5 inches, not 9.5 inches wide.

Also as far as I know the TPMS stems work with most aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info 07jeepxk,

I am looking for another wheel that will fit the stock tire. I really liked those V-TEC's and the price was right too!

BRC

The stock tires in theory will fit on an 8.5 inch wheel but you will be stretching the tire over a wide wheel. I really wouldnt recommend doing this for safety purposes. An 8.5 inch wheel is meant for a tire in the range of 11.5 - 12.5 inches, not 9.5 inches wide.

Also as far as I know the TPMS stems work with most aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

BRC
The TPMS will work on aftermarket wheels. Myself and many other members are running aftermarket rims with the TPMS and they work fine.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Are you looking for a wheel that will stick out further and give you a wider stance or something similar to the stock wheel?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The approved wheel width for the Goodyear Fortera's is 6-8 inches according to tirerack.com

Remember that its only my opinion that you shouldnt use the stock tire size for those wheels. Doesnt mean that they wont work or that you couldn't do it. I just would never do it since that size tire is meant for a smaller wheel. I think safety first, especially since I have a 18 month old son thats always in the commander.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Just to reinforce 07's observation.

The tire width vs wheel width specification is to reduce/eliminate the potental of the tire debeading from the rim during high, side load moments.
This could be anything from a high speed turn to a off road sidewall load from the edge of a gully.

Also, the real possibility of scoring the edge of the rim from a curb or rock is increased.

Just adding my $.02,
Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
07jeep/robby,

Thanks for your info and I do agree safety first; I will start looking this weekend for another hot wheel package for the Commander!

BRC

Just to reinforce 07's observation.

The tire width vs wheel width specification is to reduce/eliminate the potental of the tire debeading from the rim during high, side load moments.
This could be anything from a high speed turn to a off road sidewall load from the edge of a gully.

Also, the real possibility of scoring the edge of the rim from a curb or rock is increased.

Just adding my $.02,
Rob

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
07jeep,

1" wider will be ok that's what I want, as for the stock wheel it looks nice but I want something different now!

BRC
Im not sure if you like the JK Rubicon 17x7.5 wheels but you can pick them up cheap all over the place and use a 1" wheel spacer to give you the stance you are looking for. I was going to go that route but decided not to since I plan on running a 12.5 inch wide tire. Ill mostlikely be getting the AEV JK pintler wheels since they are the backspacing im looking for and are an 8.5 inch wide wheel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts