Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took a 350 mile day trip on my 15th day of Commander ownership. We went all over the place, and even ended up at a very snowed in Dry Falls State Park.

Starting out, we played around slogging thru some mud.

Then went to the top of the hills above town where the ''whirlygigs'' are making their power.

Then things got a bit serious as we headed north. We tend to avoid the normal roads and highways. e.g. the ''sheep route'' that everyone esle takes. What's the fun in THAT?!?

My buddy had an idea for a gag photo for his website, so here it is all set up... a 1950's wicker picnic basket on a snowy table. This was at Dry Falls.

All my life I've had race Jeeps, or other hotrods. I'm doing good to drive something that gets anything over 10 MPG. So, I'm REALLY liking the Commander's 4.7L V-8!!

Here's a link to Mike's website, with our trip photos: http://users.bentonrea.com/~tinear/newyear2009.htm

·
Registered
391 Posts
Very nice pics...tnx for sharing! I like the pics and quotation your friend made in his website..

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
nice pics. thanks for sharing and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
953 Posts
bumper lights

Starting out, we played around slogging thru some mud.
I love the pics, but this one especially caught my eye. It looks like you have an extra set of lights on the bumper. I was wondering how you have them mounted. Did you bolt them directly to the bumper? Do you have any close-up shots of the install?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bumper HID lights

The bumper lights are HID's with a Euro pattern. (Wide with a 'hot' center) I've posted a lot about those and my other set of HID's in this thread: http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7338

I did drill the plastic bumper to mount them. I used two pieces of 1 inch aluminum angle, bolted together back to back to form a Z. With four 1/4 x 20 bolts and fender washers, that spreads the load out a bit on the not-that-solid bumper facia. I also added a piece of aluminum in the form of an L that reaches into the lower grill mount tab. The other end is pop-rivited to the bracket, and that reduces the fore and aft wobbling of the light set.

They're pretty solid, and the lights aren't very heavy despite the size. The ballasts are integral, so that's why the large housing.

From the top:

And from the side:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Great pix! Thanks for sharing them. Looks like you had a nice adventure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts