Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total NEWB I know :icon_confused:
Ok so I have looked through the FAQ's and all that and tried calling some places but no one seems all that familiar with Commander locally and it seems like there are alot of things to consider.

I want to upgrade to 17x9 wheels with some bigger A/T tires. I am planning on a 2'' lift or Rock Krawler kit.....so how big of tires can I get without any other modifications?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
With a 2 inch lift the biggest tire you will be able to fit is a 265/70R17. To fit that tire you will need to do the pinch weld modification though or else you will have rubbing at the back portion of the front fender well. Especially if you plan on running a 17x9. Make sure if you get a 17x9 that it has no less then +18 mm offset or you will regret buying them because they will stick out to far and you will have rubbing everywhere.

BTW...The Rock Krawler will only give you about 2 inches of lift. They advertise it as being 3.5 inches or something like that but members who have installed it say it doesnt give you that much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With a 2 inch lift the biggest tire you will be able to fit is a 265/70R17. To fit that tire you will need to do the pinch weld modification though or else you will have rubbing at the back portion of the front fender well. Especially if you plan on running a 17x9. Make sure if you get a 17x9 that it has no less then +18 mm offset or you will regret buying them because they will stick out to far and you will have rubbing everywhere.

BTW...The Rock Krawler will only give you about 2 inches of lift. They advertise it as being 3.5 inches or something like that but members who have installed it say it doesnt give you that much.
Would I be better off with a 17x8.5 then? I really don't want to have to mod anything to fit other than a 2" lift.

Also do you recommend a different lift kit to meet my needs?

Thanks for the response!

·
1,993 Posts
The cheapest way to get a 2" lift is the Rough Country or same type of spacer lift and there is a lot of choices. The polls we've had on here the Rough Country has been the most popular one. The super lift being the most popular 4" lift. You can check this post out for a list of links for buying Commander stuff. Click here

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Would I be better off with a 17x8.5 then? I really don't want to have to mod anything to fit other than a 2" lift.

Also do you recommend a different lift kit to meet my needs?

Thanks for the response!
You probablly would be better off with a 17x8.5 as long as you got the right back spacing/offset. Do you have a specific wheel in mind that you like? If so I can tell you if they have something in our bolt pattern that will work for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You probablly would be better off with a 17x8.5 as long as you got the right back spacing/offset. Do you have a specific wheel in mind that you like? If so I can tell you if they have something in our bolt pattern that will work for you.
Here are a few I am looking at

V-tech raptor 17x9
Xd spy
Xd hoss

I was looking at a 265/70/17 tire but at this point as long as it is aggressive looking I am open to whatever.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cheapest way to get a 2" lift is the Rough Country or same type of spacer lift and there is a lot of choices. The polls we've had on here the Rough Country has been the most popular one. The super lift being the most popular 4" lift. You can check this post out for a list of links for buying Commander stuff. Click here

Thanks Sal! I just ordered my RC 2" Kit.....seems like a good deal.

·
Registered
696 Posts
XD HOSS and XD SPY are already taken, sorry! Just kidding, as long as you do not paint your commander Black!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
XD HOSS and XD SPY are already taken, sorry! Just kidding, as long as you do not paint your commander Black!

LOL damn...back to square one!

No gonna leave it silver but add some black accents to compliment whatever wheel I go with. Your wheels are tight though...definitely one of my favorites.

I am big on having as much of a unique look as possible....that is why i am sick of seeing other stock jeeps that look identical to mine. I have modded every other car i owned so i am surprised I went this long stock...but i have the bug now so I am in trouble :)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The XD Spy wheels are amazing. I helped my friend install a 4 inch BDS lift on his WK and set him up with a wheel/tire combo that would work with the amount of lift he has and what not. Here's how it turned out. I'd say I did a good job hooking him up with the proper specs for the wheels/tires!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The XD Spy wheels are amazing. I helped my friend install a 4 inch BDS lift on his WK and set him up with a wheel/tire combo that would work with the amount of lift he has and what not. Here's how it turned out. I'd say I did a good job hooking him up with the proper specs for the wheels/tires!

NIcccceeeeeeeee...

Good work man, I am definitely appreciative of the help you have been providing. You seem to know your ish! its amazing that all these jokers out here selling wheels and tries don't have a freakin clue :dunno:

I must admit i am a little shy on the pinch weld and wheel well mod....

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yeah I was a little shy on the pinch weld modification too since my Commander was so new at the time. However, I knew that it need to be done in order to fit the tires I wanted. If you do it right, you cant even tell its been done. After the pinch weld is bent over spay it with rubberized undercoating or something of that nature so it doesnt rust. Then just remold the plastic inner fender well with a heat gun. If you can weld then just cut the pinch weld right off and run a bead of weld right down the seam.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I was a little shy on the pinch weld modification too since my Commander was so new at the time. However, I knew that it need to be done in order to fit the tires I wanted. If you do it right, you cant even tell its been done. After the pinch weld is bent over spay it with rubberized undercoating or something of that nature so it doesnt rust. Then just remold the plastic inner fender well with a heat gun. If you can weld then just cut the pinch weld right off and run a bead of weld right down the seam.
I have done some searching and saw some pics and threads about the pinch weld and I honestly am not going to do it....I really do not have the time or patience so I am going to bump down to the 255/70/17 that way I just don't even have to worry about it but still get a little bigger tire.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
That will work perfectly. I ran 255/70's for a few months after I lifted the XK and had absolutely no rubbing anywhere. No other modifications are needed with that tire size.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That will work perfectly. I ran 255/70's for a few months after I lifted the XK and had absolutely no rubbing anywhere. No other modifications are needed with that tire size.
Awesome that makes me feel much better..... thanks again for all of your help.
I am working with a guy local to hopefully get the wheels and tires....as long as his prices are decent.

I haven't found a place online yet that carries the Xd spy wheel in my size in stock and has a tire I like at a good price....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok so I pulled the trigger today!
The RC 2" lift is on the way and I ordered my wheel and tire package which should be in and installed by this time next week.

I went with the
XD SPY - Gloss Black/mach 17x8
General Grabber AT2 - 255/70/17

Not too shabby....I could have saved a few bucks going with online order but I will have better warranty and service should any issues arrive since I went through a retailer.

I can't wait and thanks again to everyone for the help!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Awsome. Make sure to post pictures when its finished!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lift went on yesterday and I am at tire shop now waiting for the wheels, tires, and allignment to get done. :)

can't wait

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What do you think.....got the lift done, wheel and tire package, removed rear stickers /badge, and tinted the rear 3 lights (still need to buff out)

I am very happy with the look personally! :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts