Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm an admitted newb at all things relating to lifts. So we took our son's 2006 Commander to a local 4WD shop to ask some questions about a lift. It's a reputable shop in the community, and they specialize in lifts. But I'm surprised at what they told us.

First off, we told the guy we were considering the 2.25" Rocky Road lift kit, including new shocks, with the intent to ask about the need for also possibly replacing the struts and control arms. Right off the bat, the guy said that he won't install a lift kit on an AWD Jeep Commander. He said it's too dangerous and runs high risk of breaking. He's never done a lift on a Jeep Commander, and says the only Jeeps he will lift are Wranglers. Says he's turned down other Commander owners looking for the same thing. He did recommend we get a second opinion from some other shops, which we are doing.

So what gives? Am I missing something? Is this just an overly-cautious mechanic, or is there more to the story that I need to be aware of? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Probably just an overly cautious mechanic. If he'll only lift Wranglers, he may just be uncomfortable with IFS front ends.

A 2" lift on an XK isn't abnormal, and while it'll cause a little extra wear on some front end components it's nothing to be concerned about. Plenty of us have run 2" lifts with no problems at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably just an overly cautious mechanic. If he'll only lift Wranglers, he may just be uncomfortable with IFS front ends.

A 2" lift on an XK isn't abnormal, and while it'll cause a little extra wear on some front end components it's nothing to be concerned about. Plenty of us have run 2" lifts with no problems at all.
Thank you, that's what I figured. I know these 2" lift kits are in wide usage, so I'm not overly concerned about it. I'm going to have another discussion with this chap and see where it goes. I think he's just generally unfamiliar with these types of kits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts