Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I am new to the forum. I have read alot here before I decided to post a question. I just bought The Rough Country 2" lift. They say on their website that I can put 265/70/17 on. I went on live chat with customer service and he said yes 265/70/17 would fit with no rubbing. Now on a post here it says

Jeep Commanders ranging from the 2" spacer lifts to the 3.5 Rock Krawler kit can fit the following tires WITHOUT wheel spacers and no rubbing:

245/65R17 (Stock Tire Size)
245/70R17
245/75R17
255/65R17
255/70R17

And then
Jeep Commanders ranging from the 2" spacer lifts to the 3.5 inch Rock Krawler kit can fit the following tires WITH wheel spacers but will cause minor rubbing: (MINOR TRIMMING OF THE REAR PLASTIC FENDER WELL AND BENDING OVER OF THE PINCH WELD REQUIRED)

255/75R17
265/65R17
265/70R17

So He is wrong. Right? I need spacers if I want to run 265/70?
Im looking at getting the goodyear wrangler silent armor
2006 Jeep Commander,5.7,Nav,Dvd And Bad tires.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
07JeepXK will know the answer, hang tight I am sure he will see your question.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have seen your album. Very nice Commander!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lift kit just came in. I will be installing it this week sometime. Still not sure what tire to go with. Is anybody runing 265/70 or 255/70 goodyear wrangler silent armor with 2" lift no spacers & stock rims? Any rubbing? Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
A 265/70 will be a tight fit to the upper a arm without a wheel spacer. A 255/70 will be the safest bet. If you would like the 265/70's you should go to a 1.375 wheel spacer.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Adamag25! Thats all I need to know. Im going to order the 255/70 tires tonight. My Dad is coming over on wenesday to help me with the lift. Going to try to get the tires put on also. Let you know how it goes. I just dont understand why Rough Country would say 265/70 would fit. reading all the posts here they would know that you would get some rubbing. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Happy to help. The tire issue is a complicated thing. A 265/70 on a stock rim will not hit the fender lines but it is very VERY close to the ball joint bolt. It is way too close an can actually contact it in certain situations. That means you need a wheel spacer. The wheel spacer pushes the tire and wheel out away from the ball joint bolt but it also pushes it out toward the fender lines when turned at full lock. I had some rubbing issues with the 1.5" wheel spacers and 265/70's on the fender well. It was not bad but it nearly wore through the fender liner in the pinch weld area. The 1.375" spacer is probably the best combination with a 265/70 but rubbing may still be an issue. The 255/70's are the best of both worlds, they should clear the ball joint bolt and leave extra room. They should also stay clear of the fender lines when turned at full lock and you probably will not have to alter the pinch weld. Please keep us posted and take plenty of pics.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will take pics and post them. thanks again. I got the quote from town fair tire. They price matched onlinetires.com
Your request:
Tire...
Size: 255/70R17T Make: Goodyear Model: Wrangler SilentArmor

About competition...
Name: online tires.com-ordered from tr
Price: 150.55 Quantity: 4 Shipping: 128.10 Your Total Price: 730.3

Town fair
Item Ordered: 255/70R17T Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
Quantity Ordered: 4 Price Each: $179.00
Installation Package Each: $25.95 Total Price: $819.80

Note: Sales tax will be added at time of purchase, if applicable. No other discounts apply.

Town fair charged extra for install package. Seems like a good price.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Most stores will try to match on-line vendors, take your quote to teh local dealer and see if they can get you a better price. Discount tire did that for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm running 255/75/17 bfg mud terrain km on mine w/ the rough country leveling kit. it rubs occasionally, but not enough to cause concern. In regards to 265/70 17s, the bolt that runs through the control arm is too long and would, at least in my opinion, strike the tire 100% of the time and be disastrous. I MAY have 1/2" clearance from the bolt to the big, knobby tread of my BFGs. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a49erFan. Thats a good idea ill take that quote and try a few places to see if they will beat it. barryG that does help thanks. Knowing that the 255/75 's rub a little the 255/70 shouldnt rub at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My RC 2" lift will be in tomorrow. Going to put it on Saturday. Need to decide quick on which wheels to go with the 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler AT. Wanting to go with a black and machined looking wheel. Anyone know the stock rear shock sizes, looking to upgrade those while I have it apart too. I know there are a thousand pics on here of lifted XK's, but I want to show mine off too. Pics soon. Are there any members on here from MO?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Hello to all,

I am new to the forum. I have read alot here before I decided to post a question. I just bought The Rough Country 2" lift. They say on their website that I can put 265/70/17 on. I went on live chat with customer service and he said yes 265/70/17 would fit with no rubbing. Now on a post here it says

Jeep Commanders ranging from the 2" spacer lifts to the 3.5 Rock Krawler kit can fit the following tires WITHOUT wheel spacers and no rubbing:

245/65R17 (Stock Tire Size)
245/70R17
245/75R17
255/65R17
255/70R17

And then
Jeep Commanders ranging from the 2" spacer lifts to the 3.5 inch Rock Krawler kit can fit the following tires WITH wheel spacers but will cause minor rubbing: (MINOR TRIMMING OF THE REAR PLASTIC FENDER WELL AND BENDING OVER OF THE PINCH WELD REQUIRED)

255/75R17
265/65R17
265/70R17

So He is wrong. Right? I need spacers if I want to run 265/70?
Im looking at getting the goodyear wrangler silent armor
2006 Jeep Commander,5.7,Nav,Dvd And Bad tires.

Sorry for the late response and I realize that you already pulled the trigger on some 255/70's. But to answer your original question, it all depends on the particular tire as no tire is the exact same size. There has been a small handfull of members that were able to get 265/70's to fit on the Commander without wheel spacers. However the tire was very close to the ball joint bolt. My 265/70 MT/R's would have never cleared the ball joint bolt without spacers. They almost measure a true 32 inches when new. Also I had to bend over the pinch weld completely and re mold the inner plastic fender well to fit my 265/70's. They would have rubbed like crazy if I hadnt done that. So I dont think the live chat with the customer service is exactly accurate in what they told you.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for your response 07jeepXK. Yes I have orderd the Goodyear wrangler silent armor 255/70's. They will be going on thursday after I put the RC lift in on Wed. I wanted a tire that was a bit bigger with no chance of rubbing and it seems that 255/70's are the way to go. If I knew exactly what brand/size tire would fit I might have went larger. It seems that a lot of people would like to raise their Commander a few inches with stock rims and not mod it in any other way (spacers,hammering,cutting). Maybe there should be a sticky post that members have tried with different brand tire/size that will fit a 2" lift without any issues. I will post pics of the 255/70 goodyear wrangler's. Sorry for the long post. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
244 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks I was just looking at that. It looks like some people are useing wheel spacers with 255/70 and are getting rubbing. Do wheel spacers or offset rims cause rubbing?

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Ok it's all done! Here are some pics. I am open for any questions. And THANK YOU ALL for your help! You guys are great. http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll188/Dgibby12/Rough%20Country/
Looks good D,

Regarding the stud grinding.
While developing my leveling kit, I found different length studs on various XK's and WK's.
Pressed my parts connection and best he could find out was there are two different vendors for this upper mount and the specification for stud lenth is rather loose. It must be no shorter than X but no longer than Y.
I believe R/C was unaware of the varience and likely had a short stud plate they used for development.

However, if you read the on line pdf install instructions I believe they did mention some applications may require grinding.

Nice job,

Rob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts