Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noobest Newb

Greetings fellow Commandantes-

Been stalking around here for a long while now so I figured it was about time to get in for real and give back to the community. You guys have definitely helped me out with more than a few things so fair is only fair. So in that light, I come bearing a gift:

I am going to war. Right now.

Ammo in the arsenal consists of:

Engine-

Ebay no name $58 long tube intake- will Design Engineering gold tape for heat insulation and if the filter sucks (literally, like dirt) will swap out for K&N cone.

Denso 12582704 injector upgrade - 12 holes always beats 1, will report on MPG/hp/driveability situ once I know it.

Autolite Iridium plugs

Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets as I HAVE THE FRIGGIN TICKIN LIFTERS

Evergreen cams and new lifter kit $236 or so from your good pals at Amazon. IN .443/244 EX .429/254 so about the same lift as the stockers but with a few degrees more duration. We shall see. They claim performance idle and a bit more power.

Melling roller rockers as it would be stupid at this point not to with 174K on the current ones. I want every micron of lift I can get out of this setup and I figured it would be like putting on new sprockets on a bike and using the old chain... Just stupid.

New Serpentine belt

New upper/lower rad hoses and thermo, and yes I got a lake of HOAT to go in there after a brutal flushing regimen.

Considering a chip/tuner of some form, an Airram power wire, plus anything else that I find and hate in there that needs doing.

Will be fabricating the cam holder tool per Martinbuilt on YouTube, plus the bent 2.5mm thick 10mm open ended wrench to remove the rockers. Both tools will save you nearly $100 vs buying the real McCoy's.

Will also most definitely be doing a compression and leakdown test to make sure this is even worth doing. Or buying another new/old Commander instead... And doing most all of this anyway, minus the cammies and such.

Suspension-

Rocky Road UCA's

2" lift Heavy Metal strut spacers over Gabriel struts

2" Rusty's lift springs for the rear with OME shocks

Ball joints, tie rods, etc, etc, etc, as its all crap after 174K and rabid abuse.

Will be doing Spidertrax 1.5" spacers along with the usual 265/70/17 General Grabber AT's when I get the dime.

Completing the Powerstop rear rotor and caliper/ceramic pad install for the rear. I have already done the fronts from the kit and have had them on for about a year and a half. Major upgrade, don't fade, better feel and power, and all with low dust too. A real magic trick.

I know JohnC and UP4XK have some questions on another thread but because I am a dirty nooby I can't post over there. I do have the old calipers and another set of Powerstop fronts that I could photo for them to show the differences if someone can show me where I can post it. They are in fact just reman OEM Chrysler/Jeep calipers that Powerstop goes through and powder coats red. They are the same for Chrysler 300's, Dodge Rams, and others for anyone interested. The Jeep ones just have Jeep cast into the front calipers, got one of each in one batch hence the extra set...

Anyway, I can post whatever anyone is interested in seeing as I go along but I just wanted to say "Hey" and throw that out there if any of it will help someone.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hello all,

Tried to do a post the other day and it apparently failed (i know- NOOB!) so I'll give it another shot, w/ less detail.

I've been stalking around here for a couple of years taking 411 when I needed it, so I figured it was about time to put some back in for a change and pay down my Karmic debt a bit.

My Commandante has about 174K abusive miles, mostly high performance street abuse, and so is in need of a total love-over as everything is basically day 1 stock other than the K&N panel filter and the front half of the powerstop Z36 big brake setup.

Plans over this weekend (and let's get serious, most probably into the next) will include:

New cams, lifters, and rocker arms. The damn TICKING...

Will also be fabricating the cam holder tool and rocker arm 10mm wrench a la Martinbuilt from YouTube. Saves over $100 clams vs buying the real McCoy's.

V-Belt and new Iridium plugs

Denso 12582704 16 hole fuel injectors- will report on performance/mileage/drivability after this hellish mess is over.

Ebay special long tube cold air tube and cone filter. Will replace filter with real K&N if it sucks any of the Mojave in but wanted to see if its workable first. Will also insulate length of the aluminum tube with Design Engineering gold heat insulation tape.

Radiator to be savagely flushed and new thermostat and both hoses installed, fresh dose of HOAT too.

Rear Diff drained, cleaned, refilled with Royal Purps diff oil and LubeLocker diff gasket.

Suspension wise:

Going to install the 3" HeavyMetal spacer kit over new Gabriel front struts.

Rocky Road UCA's for said front lift.

OME long travel MD shocks on rear with Rusty's 2" lift springs.

All worn ball joints, tie rods, etc as needed.

Complete Z36 Powerstop kit install for the rear axle, drilled and slotted discs, RED calipers, and ceramic pads. - I know there's another thread I can't post in yet asking about these so I can say after 1.5 years on the fronts, they are awesome in all respects. Improved power, feel, fade resistance, less noise, and less dust even. A real modern magic trick.

Considering a chip or tune of some sort plus the Power Wire and the '08+ manifold swap, but having a hard time justifying the Ca$hi$h for the aluminum adapter plate for the cable throttle on my '06, plus other required ancillaries.

Need tires to so looking to go the usual 265/70/17 with 1.5" Spidertrax spacers. Tire wise, leaning towards General Grabber AT's but also considering the BFG KO2s, Khumo AT51's and Toyo AT's. The Toyos have a 50K warranty and have talked to a few happy owners, any thoughts out there?

That's about it for now, just wanted to say "hey" and if anyone wants to see any part of this fiasco just ask and I'll try to snap some pics of what you need.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,695 Posts
Hello all,

Tried to do a post the other day and it apparently failed (i know- NOOB!) so I'll give it another shot, w/ less detail.

I've been stalking around here for a couple of years taking 411 when I needed it, so I figured it was about time to put some back in for a change and pay down my Karmic debt a bit.

That's about it for now, just wanted to say "hey" and if anyone wants to see any part of this fiasco just ask and I'll try to snap some pics of what you need.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum @Necron9de9;

Post some pics of your Commander when you can;

Your 1st new NOOB post didn't fail, it just needed to be moderated & validated; Yesterday was one of those rare days where I was not on the forum, but typically, I'm here at least once a day and usually more often then that; I merged your original post into this thread. You will only be able to post in the new member section until you reach 5 posts - then you can post anywhere;

Here are some links if you want to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.com/store/account/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwiYG9BRCkgK-G45S323oSJABnykKAhh8eDfktvKOcXIbZZtyM9MiasWVk-Mba45s2yxNrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

JeepSteel Custom Bumpers - https://www.jeepsteel.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2006?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+/en/catalog/jeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already in the last 4 years - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Big Blue, it figures I picked the day out of 4+ years you weren't watching. Sneaky huh? I wasn't sure it got through because of all the "fouls" I was making and it was late so I just figured it vaporized, no worries. And yep, I did manage to read through the newbie requirements a few times over the years!

Thanks for the welcome and the 411 links as well, I've been all over the place collecting parts for this job for a while now but more sources are always great.

I'll get some pics for a now n later comparison, but the now is pretty sad...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone out there recognize this natural selector/cow catcher on the front of this rig? I've emailed the guy about it on Craigslist but never got an answer back about it. I haven't been able to modify the image well enough to read the make imprinted on the front of it. Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,695 Posts
Does anyone out there recognize this natural selector/cow catcher on the front of this rig? I've emailed the guy about it on Craigslist but never got an answer back about it. I haven't been able to modify the image well enough to read the make imprinted on the front of it. Any help much appreciated.
Most of the Brush guards I've seen on XK's are made by Blackhorse, I had a Blackhorse Brush Guard on my XK once upon a time - but yours is clearly made by a different company; I've not seen that wrap-around style of brush guard on an XK before - but I have seen them on a couple of Grand Cherokees in the past; I'm not sure what company makes that particular style though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I've never seen one quite like this before either. The thing looks police interceptor serious, with the push bar type design and the extra top bracing for the light extensions in the center. I can see "W" followed by something something when you zoom in but its illegible. Can you move this part of the post over to the brush guard section or is it easier just for me to repost there as this is the noob section (SEE! I read the rules...).

I'd just love for someone to be able to solve the mystery. It is definitely an uncommon piece.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hello all,

My Commandante has about 174K abusive miles, mostly high performance street abuse, and so is in need of a total love-over as everything is basically day 1 stock other than the K&N panel filter and the front half of the powerstop Z36 big brake setup.

Plans over this weekend (and let's get serious, most probably into the next) will include:

New cams, lifters, and rocker arms. The damn TICKING...

Will also be fabricating the cam holder tool and rocker arm 10mm wrench a la Martinbuilt from YouTube. Saves over $100 clams vs buying the real McCoy's.

V-Belt and new Iridium plugs

Denso 12582704 16 hole fuel injectors- will report on performance/mileage/drivability after this hellish mess is over.

Ebay special long tube cold air tube and cone filter. Will replace filter with real K&N if it sucks any of the Mojave in but wanted to see if its workable first. Will also insulate length of the aluminum tube with Design Engineering gold heat insulation tape.

Radiator to be savagely flushed and new thermostat and both hoses installed, fresh dose of HOAT too.

Rear Diff drained, cleaned, refilled with Royal Purps diff oil and LubeLocker diff gasket.
Awesome stuff! Keep us posted with lots of pics of the engine work! Not a lot of that around here, especially on the 4.7!
I just did about all the same work and then some on my 5.7 and I really need to make a full thread of the process with all my pics, but I just haven't had the time when I'm back at the house where the pics are :grin2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks but that's a pretty old pic; I just wanted you to see the difference between the 2 Grille Guards;

This is what she looks like currently;

That's sick Blue. The last thing the Incurably Stupid will see before you promote them to the afterlife... Gotta weigh at least 2-300 lbs! But I still need to find out what the hell the other PIT bumper was from the other pic. May have to feign as a buyer to go see the damn thing physically as I just HAVE to have that one...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome stuff! Keep us posted with lots of pics of the engine work! Not a lot of that around here, especially on the 4.7!
I just did about all the same work and then some on my 5.7 and I really need to make a full thread of the process with all my pics, but I just haven't had the time when I'm back at the house where the pics are :grin2:
OK, gonna do a new post in the normal kid- AKA non-short bus noob section- so this can roll on for a year or so... **** has already smacked the rotary ariscrew... pic to follow!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts