Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all let me say that I love my 2008 Commander XK 5.7. It is the fanciest vehicle I have ever owned. I have had it just over a year now. But I am scared to take it on any more road trips. Any time I drive it more than 2 hours it will just shut off. This has happened to me 3 times at freeway speeds on the freeway. Has any one else had this problem? It has had the ignition recall done and has still died on me.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I have a 2008 with the 4.7L and I've never had that problem and have had it on numerous 10 & 11 hour road trips.

Are you receiving any DTC's?

How many miles are on it?

EDIT: Could possibly be a short circuit in the alternator - just saw something on the news this morning about FCA having a new recall about this issue for 2007-2014 Dodge RAMS saying a short circuit in the alternator causes them to stall - it didn't say anything about Commanders, but, it might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
First of all let me say that I love my 2008 Commander XK 5.7. It is the fanciest vehicle I have ever owned. I have had it just over a year now. But I am scared to take it on any more road trips. Any time I drive it more than 2 hours it will just shut off. This has happened to me 3 times at freeway speeds on the freeway. Has any one else had this problem? It has had the ignition recall done and has still died on me.
I had this issue.

Go to the dealership and have them apply all software recalls (basically refresh your system)

Here is the fun part!!!!!!!!

Every single connector... EVERY connector. open and close every connection... ALL of them. You will be so familiar of the engine bay you will feel like it is your next lover.

After I did those two steps, I never had the stalling issue again... never.

Seriously, this is good advice. The connectors get loose and or corroded over time and will effect the computer system. Also if a wire has been rubbing just right, it may have grounded out over time... I had this also, and only found out after I was getting at all the plugs.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts