Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

First & foremost, I would like to introduce myself. Im Sidart, currently residing in Dubai, UAE. Been a member since a while, have not been that active.

Cutting a long story short, I always intended to drive in the desert. Motivated by Ahmed's post, I joined a local club and went for a trip.

Some pictures along with my review:

The club deflating our tires to 12 PSI.

Entered the bowl when another jeep was already there.

At the Apex of a dune - Notice the clearance.

3rd Stuck of the day

Pajero stuck - Low clearance is the reason for the stuck

Overall, the commander went extremely heavy. Also, as the experts said, the desert was getting hotter making the sand even more fine. The commander sank into the sand like an anchor in the sea. Maintaining momentum was KEY in not getting stuck.

But, what was a challenge was that the commander had less clearance for which I had to drive fast. But driving fast led to a possiblity of bumper damage.

Action Plan: Going to get a lift kit, bigger wheels, stock bumper. This will be done to increase depature and approach angles. Internally, startin off with an air filter to boost some engine power.

Please do feel free to give in your suggestion and comments.

Sidart

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I don't know what international shipping costs, but a "Get Lost 4x4" winch bumper also increase front end clearance by a bit. =)

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I don't see a 4X4 badge on your Commander. Is it 4WD ? Which engine does it have ?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Nice pics Sidart,,

I was exactly in the same location when I visited UAE last January, I drove around the big dune which appears in the background of your first picture. It was in that week when it rained heavily, here is a pic

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
In regards to your review:

When I start sand dunes driving by the Commander, I felt exactly the same (heavy), and I got stuck many times. ,,, in fact I was doubt about the Commander capability in sand, and I thought about selling it.

Now I can assure you that it is all about how to drive it and get more skilled in sand dunes driving, and now I drive the Commander in the sand with a lot of confidence and rarely get stuck.,,,,, still the ground clearance is not very good especially in the front ,,, but not very bad.

In the last trip the Toyota Prado didn't manage to get over some places and dunes where the Commander managed,,, it is simply the driver although the Prado has a very good ground clearance, even more that the famous Land Cruiser.

As you said,,,,, It is all about MOUMENTOM.

I don't agree with you about increasing the approach angle,,, it is pretty good (34 degrees,,, same as the FJ), but I agree about the departure angle but it is not very important, especially that you have very good protection bars below the rear section.

I don't suggest lifting the Commander if you are not a serious off-roader and goes off-road often.... keep an Air-Jack with you.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
jeep5253 said:
I don't see a 4X4 badge on your Commander. Is it 4WD ? Which engine does it have ?
He has QT-II, 4x4 badge doesn't come in the international model (XH), I ordered it separately and added as 07JeepXK added the 4.7L

and I most probably he has 4.7L engine, as 3.7L option is not available in UAE and Saudi Arabia.. am I correct Sidart?

·
Registered
398 Posts
These are GREAT pics. Thanks to our friends from the middle east for sharing.. So many of these places remind me of Baja Mexico except there seems to be more sand whereas Baja has a lot of rocks with spots of beautiful sand.

Sidart, what is the configuration of your Commander? engine, trans etc?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Great pics!!! And the camels in the background watching just complete the scene!

By the way Ahmed, you should sell your avatar pic to Jeep - it looks like it belongs in a brochure...

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Haags said:
Great pics!!! And the camels in the background watching just complete the scene!

By the way Ahmed, you should sell your avatar pic to Jeep - it looks like it belongs in a brochure...
I think he means the pic in your signature -- not your avatar. Not sure Jeep would want the Arabian flag.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
jeep5253 said:
I think he means the pic in your signature -- not your avatar. Not sure Jeep would want the Arabian flag.
Yea,,, you solved it... I was wondering why Jeep would get a flag!

well at least JeepFreak magazine selected it to post it in the next issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ahmed255 said:
In regards to your review:

When I start sand dunes driving by the Commander, I felt exactly the same (heavy), and I got stuck many times. ,,, in fact I was doubt about the Commander capability in sand, and I thought about selling it.

Now I can assure you that it is all about how to drive it and get more skilled in sand dunes driving, and now I drive the Commander in the sand with a lot of confidence and rarely get stuck.,,,,, still the ground clearance is not very good especially in the front ,,, but not very bad.

In the last trip the Toyota Prado didn't manage to get over some places and dunes where the Commander managed,,, it is simply the driver although the Prado has a very good ground clearance, even more that the famous Land Cruiser.

As you said,,,,, It is all about MOUMENTOM.

I don't agree with you about increasing the approach angle,,, it is pretty good (34 degrees,,, same as the FJ), but I agree about the departure angle but it is not very important, especially that you have very good protection bars below the rear section.

I don't suggest lifting the Commander if you are not a serious off-roader and goes off-road often.... keep an Air-Jack with you.
Well Ahmed,

I Totally agree with the fact that it depends on the driver more than the vehicle. The trip leader had also test driven my commander to decide to use 4WD Low Or 4WD High. Finally, we came to a conclusion to use 4WD Low, limited to the third gear.

Lift kit is not the priority as the local authorities might make a fuss due to the modifications. The protection bars that you spoke about were seriously good in protecting the vehicle.

I will definitely take more trips in future to improve my driving skills and will hopefully post pics as good as yours :).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jeep5253 said:
Sorry, haven't mentioned the engine's specifications before.

Stock condition.
Quadra-Drive II
4.7 Litre, V8

I'm not sure if it has the skid plates, will click a photo soon. During my off-roading trip i constantly stayed with my ESP 'off' and at times used my 4WD low in demanding situations.

We do not get the badge here, those vehicles that have it, are US imports.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
ahmed255 said:
well at least JeepFreak magazine selected it to post it in the next issue.
Congratulations !

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Sidart said:
Well Ahmed,

I Totally agree with the fact that it depends on the driver more than the vehicle. The trip leader had also test driven my commander to decide to use 4WD Low Or 4WD High. Finally, we came to a conclusion to use 4WD Low, limited to the third gear.

Lift kit is not the priority as the local authorities might make a fuss due to the modifications. The protection bars that you spoke about were seriously good in protecting the vehicle.

I will definitely take more trips in future to improve my driving skills and will hopefully post pics as good as yours :).
!!!!

I never used 4WD Low all the time,, it is too heavy and you need momentum rather than power. I use the 4Low only in stuck situation or close to be. when I lose momentum in very soft sand I immediately take off the accelerator and leave the car stop, then I engage 4low and stating moving slowly trying to drift from that spot.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Sidart said:

Stock condition.
Quadra-Drive II
4.7 Litre, V8

I'm not sure if it has the skid plates, will click a photo soon. During my off-roading trip i constantly stayed with my ESP 'off' and at times used my 4WD low in demanding situations.

Sidart, Are you sure it is Quadra-Drive II , not Quadra-Trac II ?

Do you have the Quadra-Drive II badge on the transmission shifter frame?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Sidart said:

Stock condition.
Quadra-Drive II
4.7 Litre, V8

These are the skid plates:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ahmed255 said:
Sidart, Are you sure it is Quadra-Drive II , not Quadra-Trac II ?

Do you have the Quadra-Drive II badge on the transmission shifter frame?

Yes Ahmed, it is Quadra-Drive II. I remember you asking on another post if it would make a difference to have QDII, not sure it does because we turn off the ESP. Im guessin

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
great pics sidart and welcome to the site....can't wait to see more pics....

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Sidart said:
Yes Ahmed, it is Quadra-Drive II. I remember you asking on another post if it would make a difference to have QDII, not sure it does because we turn off the ESP. Im guessin
Then the options are different from UAE to Saudi Arabia, I thought they have same managment.

turning off the ESP has no effect on the 4WD system perfomance. ESP is about applying breaks on wheels to correct the truck direction on normal driving.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts