Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I'm mainly just looking for tips on some repairs for my Jeep. I recently bought a 2007 Jeep Commander 4.7L limited Trail Rated. I'm having issues with the front brakes on Ice. It seems the drivers side is shuddering when I press the brakes. It only happens on Ice. A little more about the Jeep. I won't go into full details but rather a general history since I bought it. It was bought as a local insurance auction sale. It was sold as running and driving. Anyhow the motor was bad due to cylinder 7. The motor was replaced with a used one to get it up and running. Upon getting it put back together we diagnosed it as having a bad clockspring. We replaced it with one from the yards and it worked with no dash lights showing errors. The Jeep passed Colorado emissions perfectly. The evening before I was to get the emissions someone rearended the Jeep. There was substantial damage to the bumper, blown tire and such. The video of the accident showed the Jeep and how it was pushed forward. Anyhow the tire pressure system is out of whack on the opposite side of the Jeep. I had the Jeep codes checked and supposedly there are no codes for the ABS or anything. The OBD2 shows no codes, no it wasn't an in depth reader, just a basic autozone one.
We also replaced the front end struts and springs. Thanks for reading.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I'm mainly just looking for tips on some repairs for my Jeep. I recently bought a 2007 Jeep Commander 4.7L limited Trail Rated. I'm having issues with the front brakes on Ice. It seems the drivers side is shuddering when I press the brakes. It only happens on Ice. A little more about the Jeep. I won't go into full details but rather a general history since I bought it. It was bought as a local insurance auction sale. It was sold as running and driving. Anyhow the motor was bad due to cylinder 7. The motor was replaced with a used one to get it up and running. Upon getting it put back together we diagnosed it as having a bad clockspring. We replaced it with one from the yards and it worked with no dash lights showing errors. The Jeep passed Colorado emissions perfectly. The evening before I was to get the emissions someone rearended the Jeep. There was substantial damage to the bumper, blown tire and such. The video of the accident showed the Jeep and how it was pushed forward. Anyhow the tire pressure system is out of whack on the opposite side of the Jeep. I had the Jeep codes checked and supposedly there are no codes for the ABS or anything. The OBD2 shows no codes, no it wasn't an in depth reader, just a basic autozone one.
@Jerry Dean Thomas II; I just wanted to officially welcome you to the forum; Here are some links if you want to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.c...unt/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAj...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read the new member required reading below if you haven't done so already; lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
@Jerry Dean Thomas II; If you know you're going to be driving in icy conditions, you may consider trying to shut your ESP/Electronic Stability control off and see if you notice any improvement with the braking problem you're describing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Jerry Dean Thomas II; If you know you're going to be driving in icy conditions, you may consider trying to shut your ESP/Electronic Stability control off and see if you notice any improvement with the braking problem your describing.
I did try that out and I had the same response. I was reading and saw some member talking about two ways to turn it off. The obvious way is the button and then others mentioned holding the button down for 3 seconds to shut it off:smile2:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You need to put it in neutral and hold the button 5 sec until it dings that and shows that it is off. The clicking you hear is from the ABS system trying to control wheel spin by applying the brake to the wheel that has loss traction.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to put it in neutral and hold the button 5 sec until it dings that and shows that it is off. The clicking you hear is from the ABS system trying to control wheel spin by applying the brake to the wheel that has loss traction.
Thank you. I had been doing some reading and came up with that as well. I'll check it out the next chance I can get.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
OBD2 or not

@Jerry Dean Thomas II; If you know you're going to be driving in icy conditions, you may consider trying to shut your ESP/Electronic Stability control off and see if you notice any improvement with the braking problem your describing.
@Big Blue; hello and good morning. I was up late reading the forum. Do you think it's worth it to buy the OBD2 USB cable and the software or buy a multi car OBD2 sensor that is an all in one for multiple vehicles? I live at my sisters and I'm the only one with a Jeep. The other cars would be Toyota and Chevrolet here at the house. I'm not asking you to make the decision I just wanted to read your thoughts. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
@Big Blue; hello and good morning. I was up late reading the forum. Do you think it's worth it to buy the OBD2 USB cable and the software or buy a multi car OBD2 sensor that is an all in one for multiple vehicles? I live at my sisters and I'm the only one with a Jeep. The other cars would be Toyota and Chevrolet here at the house. I'm not asking you to make the decision I just wanted to read your thoughts. Thanks in advance
Which OBD-II software are you referring to? It's hard for me to say yes or no without knowing which software you are looking at.

Obviously it would have to be OBD-II software that would be good for numerous different makes of vehicles.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which OBD-II software are you referring to? It's hard for me to say yes or no without knowing which software you are looking at.

Obviously it would have to be OBD-II software that would be good for numerous different makes of vehicles.
I am referencing the software and USB cable you had posted about the TPS system. I apologize about not being more specific. I only have time to read and comment on the page late at night after working a long day. I was just trying to ask your opinion about the software in relation to an all in one device for the system codes and such. Just asking if you thought the one you posted was any better. I'm thinking I will just save up a little more and get the device I've been contemplating. Thank you and not trying to be a bother. specially if you think it's a dumb question. No need to add more to your plate. Thanks again for commenting.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
I am referencing the software and USB cable you had posted about the TPS system. I apologize about not being more specific. I only have time to read and comment on the page late at night after working a long day. I was just trying to ask your opinion about the software in relation to an all in one device for the system codes and such. Just asking if you thought the one you posted was any better. I'm thinking I will just save up a little more and get the device I've been contemplating. Thank you and not trying to be a bother. specially if you think it's a dumb question. No need to add more to your plate. Thanks again for commenting.
Jerry;

No bother at all, I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were referring to.

For anything Chrysler, Jeep or Commander related, I'd highly recommend the Appcar DiagFCA OBD-II software as it's a professional Windows PC diagnostics software program, specifically designed for Chrysler, Dodge & Jeep Vehicles. Personally, I don't think there is anything better on the market for Chrysler vehicles.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/26-wheels-tires/74613-want-disable-your-tpm-sensors-you-need-appcar-diagfca-obd-ii-software%3B.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts