Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a comment or thread stated AWD, did this mean all time all wheels turning under power, or does this mean it has regular 4 wheel drive? I need clarification to help shop for the one I want. I do not want a full time 4 wheel drive system. We don't get that much snow in the north central Idaho valleys. Just need 4x4 when truly needed ?thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
When a comment or thread stated AWD, did this mean all time all wheels turning under power, or does this mean it has regular 4 wheel drive? I need clarification to help shop for the one I want. I do not want a full time 4 wheel drive system. We don't get that much snow in the north central Idaho valleys. Just need 4x4 when truly needed ?thank you!
First off, ALL 4x4 Commanders are in 4-HIGH, full time 4WD all the time - which you would probably consider all wheel drive, that's one of the reasons why they typically get such crappy gas mileage.

There is no way around that - unless you buy a 2WD Commander and if you buy a 2WD Commander, you won't have any 4WD capability whatsoever.

I would strongly suggest you read this thread; pretty much anything you need to know about Commanders when you are looking to buy one, is in there:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/56546-looking-buy.html

Quadra-Trac I is probably the closest to what you would call AWD - but it's actually Full-Time 4WD and has the single speed (NV140) transfer case.

Quadra-Trac II - Full time 4WD - 4-LOW capable - has the 2 speed (NV245) transfer case.

Quadra-Drive II - Full time 4WD - 4-LOW capable - has the same 2 speed (NV245) transfer case with the addition of ELSD (Electronic Limited Slip Differential).

All three 4WD systems also come with Traction Control & Electronic Stability Control.

So based on your comments and assuming you do want a 4x4, I'd say you want either a Quadra-Trac II or Quadra-Drive II which both give you the capability of a true 4WD vehicle with a 2 speed transfer case, meaning that you can drop down into 4-LOW when conditions get dicey in Idaho.

·
Registered
484 Posts

All three 4WD options are similar to AWD under normal driving conditions, with varying methods of delivering power to wheels under different conditions.

QTI and QTII systems have an active locking transfer case with a 48/52 front/rear split under normal conditions. As conditions dictate, the transfer case can lock into a true 4WD or unlock to send power most efficiently, and with QTII the transfer case is fully locked while in low range. The front and rear differentials in QTI and QTII systems are open, and use the brakes to force power across the differential in low traction situations.

QDII also has an active locking 2 speed transfer case identical to QTII, but adds limited slip differentials to the front and rear, with the ability to fully lock each differential instead of using brakes to force load across.

·
Registered
84 Posts
In laymans terms, all the 4wd systems offered in the commander are AWD or full time 4wd. You might want to seek out a 2wd model if you dont want awd.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts