Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy;
I just bought an '08 w/ the trail package, thinking I was getting an off road outfit. Being 6'6", had to find something I could fit into, this was on the lot, very nice outfit. Made the mistake of not researching before buying simply because I wasn't even thinking of a Jeep. But it fits me, and the imports didn't.

Problem is, can't find tires in the original 245/65R/17 in an eight ply rated, which have served me very well the past 18 years or so. I drive a lot in cactus, and don't like flats. One dealer has told me he can fix me up with 8 or 10 ply wranglers, another said that there's only one tire in that size that's not a 4 ply, and that's a 6 ply Firestone something or other.

I really hate being this ignorant. At 64, I don't want to fiddle around with lift this, spacer that, cut this, bend that, all I want is a dadgummed truck that won't get flat tires every time it looks crosseyed at a little cactus. Is that too much to ask? If it is, will someone please just say so? If not, what's a dummy to do?
Thanks in advance.

·
2,248 Posts
Hello Sir and welcome to the forum. I am sure someone in here will give you their input. We also have a sponsering vendor that might advise you, (Discount Tire). I am jumping in on this thread because I recognize this new member from a PM he sent me. He was a Marine in Vietnam in 67. Actually he still is a Marine (once a marine always a marine). What I wanted to recognize him for is that he lost a leg in the service of our country and I think that deserves to be acknowledged. Thank You Sir and Welcome.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the help...

And another question. I've spent most of the day looking over tire ads and talking to dealers. None of the ads list ply ratings. Is that a thing of the past or is my ignorance showing, and I'm just missing the numbers? Edited to add: Hey! I think I get it! Thank YOU a49erfan! That BFG table shows several in the original size, but requiring different air pressure. Thinking back, one of the dealers today said that the more plies, the higher air pressure required, and the more pressure required over the normal 35#, not only does the ride get worse, it gets downright dangerous. So, can we extrapolate from the air pressure figures, that perhaps something that requires 44# is a 6 ply, something requiring 60# is an 8 ply (none found, by the way) and one requiring 80# of air is a 10 ply? Sorry 'bout the long post.

It looks like something in 245/70R/17 will work... does anyone have any experience in serious cactus with anything that size? TIA!

And thank you again HueyPilotVN, for your service; it didn't take any skill to get my leg blown off, but guys like you saved my butt when it did. I never got to thank them, so I hope that you accept my heartfelt thanks in their stead.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Welcome, My suggestion is that you look into foam filling. If you drive alot in cactus then it may be worth the time, money, and effort. There are companies out there that will fill a standard air filled tire with foam to make it a "solid" tire. This is usually done on construction or off-highway equipments so not sure how it will affect the ride but I promise you will not get a flat with this way.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i can talk to my brother and father in law to give you a good idea of what to look for. as they are both high end tire guys. one is district manager in the southwest for major distributer's and the other run's a service company on big equipment and also custom apps. as far as the foam filled goes, they're very heavy and will kill your ride and mileage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
foam? googled that and...

it seems that they are for rims that are bolted together, wheelchairs and tractor tires. Must be a low pressure thing, right? Might come in handy if I get a wheelchair flat, but it's not happened in 40 years, to the odds are slim.:) Thanks for the idea though.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
it seems that they are for rims that are bolted together, wheelchairs and tractor tires. Must be a low pressure thing, right? Might come in handy if I get a wheelchair flat, but it's not happened in 40 years, to the odds are slim.:) Thanks for the idea though.
They will do it on a standard tire. I've seen it done. The problem is that when the time comes to change the tire you have to cut it off and get new foam. As for pressure I know that they will make it for the application and i've seen it on heavy equipment like loaders, dumps, and lulls. The other problem is that the cost is WAY WAY high for something like this that isn't perminant. If you really like the idea you will have to find someone local and talk to them but I personally would never get this done even if I had to drive on broken glass every day.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I am 44 and I remember buying bias ply-tires, where tire quality was almost solely dependent and the number of plys quantity you purchased. Now almost everything is a radial and the ply count has disappeared from consideration.

Does this make sense to anyone or am I lost in a fog?

·
Registered
444 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I don't have any additional input about tires but I did want to welcome you to the forum.

I also wanted to say thank you for your service.

One of the finest men I know is a former marine, my stepfather.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Howdy;
I just bought an '08 w/ the trail package...

Problem is, can't find tires in the original 245/65R/17 in an eight ply rated, which have served me very well the past 18 years or so. I drive a lot in cactus, and don't like flats. One dealer has told me he can fix me up with 8 or 10 ply wranglers, another said that there's only one tire in that size that's not a 4 ply, and that's a 6 ply Firestone something or other.

Hi Betterluckytg...welcome to the forum...and thanks for your service to our country...

I found some info at Tire Rack that might help you. Here's the start of an article about ply rating and load rating:

"The load range or ply rating branded on a tire's sidewall helps identify its strength and ability to contain air pressure. While specific load ranges are assigned to passenger tires, load ranges are identified in ascending alphabetical order for light truck tires (the further along the letter is in the alphabet, the stronger the tire and the greater amount of air pressure it can withstand and load it can carry). Before load ranges were adopted, ply ratings were used to identify the relative strength of light truck tires with higher numerical values assigned to tires featuring stronger, heavier duty constructions.
Today's load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers found inside the tire, but indicate an equivalent strength based on early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric body plies, or one steel ply."

The rest of the article can be found at
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

I think you can get a slightly larger tire and still stay stock relative to lifts, spacers, etc. As far as I can tell, the load rating is a substitute for ply rating. However, I don't know if that means that a higher load rating will withstand a cactus better or not. Maybe so. If you want a higher load rating, you can choose an LT tire rather than a P (passenger) tire. You can get C load rating or even go to an E rating. But they will be heavier, higher air pressure as you noted and not ride as nice. But I did notice that tread depths can be deeper. But I suggest you verify your theory that a heavier load range will withstand cactus better before you go that route. And let us know what you find out and decide! Thanks.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gettin' there...

Howdy;
Riddle: I think you're right. No more ply ratings, except maybe on the heavier duty truck tires, maybe 8 ply up? Ain't change great? I suspect "they" just want to keep us guessing.

GP inta da mitt: Thanks a LOT for the links; that tech stuff on the Tire Rack site is a very big help. Looks like you're right, load ratings have replaced ply ratings. You think maybe tires are better due to new compounds, or newer, better "cords" of steel, polyester, and kevlar? Or maybe lower or just simpler standards? Am learning, but it's a slow process. Too many numbers for this old dog.

Sorry 'bout the accent; I moved from "down below" to da UP in '73 or so, and lived there until '88, so kinda picked up da lingo doncha know. Ya, you betcha!

49er fan: When do you expect the tweel and such to hit the market? Looks interesting, and sure would hold up to cactus. In any case, after all this research, it looks like I'll just try to avoid the nastier stuff.

Thank you gentlemen for all the input!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Howdy;

Sorry 'bout the accent; I moved from "down below" to da UP in '73 or so, and lived there until '88, so kinda picked up da lingo doncha know. Ya, you betcha!
Ya, Toivo, yuse guys have a gude day, eh.:stickpoke:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts