Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have been wa ting to do this for a while. Here is a test fit of the nexus 7 in dash. It's a bit rough still needs sanding and stuff.

I'm still deciding if I want to do a sound processor and go full aftermarket or get a head unit in the glove compartment and use all stock components.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
392 Posts
That's interesting. I've got a nexus 7 myself and never thought to put it there. Is there a reason you did it or just trying something out no one else has done? Is it easily removable because I'm not sure how this equipment does in the extreme heat and cold.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I did this was because at the moment I can't Afford those new kenwood dnn991hd or the new pioneer line. Just think it's crazy paying 1500 for a head unit that still can't do what a table does.

The tablet is easily removable ( just pops out by the corner)

I have used my nexus 7 with a window mount for a round trip from ny to va and it worked fine, it will mostly be used for music and some navi.

Best of all I can get digital out and use a sound processor.

Not to mention this table has one of the best resolutions compared to any head unit.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Intriguing, I don't have any experience with the Nexus 7.

You do NAV, how does the Nexus 7 do NAV does it have GPS built in or some GPS accessories that connects to it?

I guess no radio, but you don't listen to radio, so no biggie?

How do you pump the audio through the vehicle speakers?

You mention a sound processor? Is that how you'd pump audio through to the vehicle speakers?

Actually, that give me a great idea (rushing to the patent office) but sell an aftermarket head unit that is just a dock for a tablet. It contains the amp and radio, docks the tablet and is controlled by the tablet, either ports the audio from the tablet or radio controlled by the tablet. Have an app for the tablet to controll it all. You can add bluetooth and GPS for apps to do hands free cell phone and Nav.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It does have GPS in the tablet. Unless he has one that is 3G or 4G or uses his phone as a hotspot it won't have internet connection. There are speakers on the back but they're not very powerful but it also has bluetooth so it can be linked to a small bluetooth radio. There is also an adapter you can buy cheaply that plugs into the bottom where it charges so it will accept any USB device.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

To use the Internet and gps on the tablet I will be tethering my note 3 to it. There is also a cool app I think talked tablet talk that allows me to take texts and phone calls on the tablet.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It does have GPS in the tablet. Unless he has one that is 3G or 4G or uses his phone as a hotspot it won't have internet connection. There are speakers on the back but they're not very powerful but it also has bluetooth so it can be linked to a small bluetooth radio. There is also an adapter you can buy cheaply that plugs into the bottom where it charges so it will accept any USB device.
I'm thinking a more seemlessly intrigated system, that would work just like a real Stereo Head unit. Granted that isn't available now, but I don't know if there are any devices/components available off the shelf to make it work.

If a Nexus 7 has Bluetooth, is there an app to do handsfree with your cell phone? I'm betting there is an app to stream music from your phone? As well, enough storage to store tons of songs in mp3 and movies.

As you would guess, I'm NOT going to be satisfied with the tiny speakers in the back of its tablet itself, I want the output amplified and sent to the speakers in the doors. So you'd need an amp that either connected to the audio output or (and I think that is what the OP was getting at) a sound processor that connected to the tablet via usb and be controlled by the tablet.

A radio would be the tough one, NOT hard to design a good radio that could be controlled by the tablet, but nothing is off the shelf that I am aware of. A bluetooth radio sounds like to me is going to be novelty transistor radio, but I don't know that for sure.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Very interesting idea. I would enjoy doing this with my galaxy tab 3, although I would want to do it in a way that if I ever wanted to, I could put the old stereo back in easily so there was so permanent damage. (I don't have the NAV system in mine)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

alright, i redid the file in photoshop and it looks much better.

the way this works.

Nexus 7-> OTG cable-> UC222 -> PPI DSP-88R-> JL audio XD 600.1 & 600.6

the UC222 uses the otg cable to take the digital signal from the Nexus 7.
the UC222 puts out a digital signal and goes to the PPI DSP.
from the PPI we send the signal to the 2 JL audio amps.
there is a PPI controler that controls the volume and maybe some other things.

i will be using 4 gauge kicker cable to a distribution block for power and ground.

i have a few sets of speakers so im still deciding on what to use.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very interesting idea. I would enjoy doing this with my galaxy tab 3, although I would want to do it in a way that if I ever wanted to, I could put the old stereo back in easily so there was so permanent damage. (I don't have the NAV system in mine)
it is very easy to put back the old system. i never do mods that can not be reverted. you just have to buy a dash kit (the one you would use when you install an aftermarket radio. then cut that up and fiberglass the shape of your tablet. thats it.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
it is very easy to put back the old system. i never do mods that can not be reverted. you just have to buy a dash kit (the one you would use when you install an aftermarket radio. then cut that up and fiberglass the shape of your tablet. thats it.
Yea, you mentioned before the aftermarket head units are too expensive, the double DIN units (which is the only one's with a touch screen display) will NOT fit the Chrysler Stereo opening, you have cut away a lot of plastic to get them to fit.

Of course you can put back the original radio, probably have to screw/glue in some blocks of woods to fit the spacers that cut out previously, but it would be as big of a project to put back the OEM head unit as it was to put in the aftermarket double din head unit. So, that is another advantage to your setup.

The Chrysler OEM head units have a face plate bigger than the body of the head unit. The Chrysler OEM head unit face plate is the same height as double din, slightly wider than double din. BUT, the Chrysler OEM head unit has a smaller body than double din, its is shorter than double din but equally as wide as double din.

Double Din head units are a perfect box shape front to rear, while the Chrysler OEM is a bigger face plate about an inch deep, the face plate bolts to the dash structure and there is a panel that snaps overtop of it, usually it covers more than just radio as well, like holds the environemental controls. Then extending out of the back of 1" thick faceplate is the body of the head unit that goes into the dash, that is smaller than the faceplate, same width, but shorter than double din.

Depth seems to be the same, or at least on the Commander you don't seem to run into depth problems with Double Din aftermarket head units.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Nexus 7-> OTG cable-> UC222 -> PPI DSP-88R-> JL audio XD 600.1 & 600.6

the UC222 uses the otg cable to take the digital signal from the Nexus 7.
the UC222 puts out a digital signal and goes to the PPI DSP.
from the PPI we send the signal to the 2 JL audio amps.
there is a PPI controler that controls the volume and maybe some other things.
I, and I think most, do NOT know what the components are that you have on the diagram.

The OTG Cable, the mutli-port dongle plugging into the Nexus 7, is this one of the cables that plugs into one of those smart media ports, like MHL or micro HDMI? Does it do more than just port conversion?

The UC222, that is the Red Box plugging into that multi-port dongle going to the Nexus 7, what does that do?

The PPI, I assume the black box in the center with the words "Power Precision" on it, that is the Digital Sound Processor (DSP)? What does the UC222 do, if this is taking the digital signal and converting it to an anolog signal for the Amps.

And you need a control head for the PPI, there is nothing off the shelf that can be controlled via USB and an App loaded on the Nexus 7?

And finally Radio, anything off the shelf that can be fit into this seemlessly, or you just going to have to get an aftermarket radio, control that at the radio head and route the output to the DSP?

i have a few sets of speakers so im still deciding on what to use.
I used Polk Audio speaker on my Commander, love them, they are advertised as 6.5" because they will fit 6.5" holes but they are really 6.75". They have a much deeper bass than most speakers I have bought, you can actually feel it on some songs, you'd have to go to sub-woofers to do better IMO. I haven't tried anything more expensive than the polk audio, so I may NOT have the most informed opinion, but I can tell you they beat the heck out of most of the Sony/Pioneer/Dual speakers you see sold around, of course many times better than the OEM speakers.

I have thread on my speaker install, I got Component Polk Speakers for the front, mounted the tweeter in the 3.5" speaker spot on the dash and the Mid in the door, put the crossover under the dash, it sounds great.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I, and I think most, do NOT know what the components are that you have on the diagram.

The OTG Cable, the mutli-port dongle plugging into the Nexus 7, is this one of the cables that plugs into one of those smart media ports, like MHL or micro HDMI? Does it do more than just port conversion?

The UC222, that is the Red Box plugging into that multi-port dongle going to the Nexus 7, what does that do?

The PPI, I assume the black box in the center with the words "Power Precision" on it, that is the Digital Sound Processor (DSP)? What does the UC222 do, if this is taking the digital signal and converting it to an anolog signal for the Amps.

And you need a control head for the PPI, there is nothing off the shelf that can be controlled via USB and an App loaded on the Nexus 7?

And finally Radio, anything off the shelf that can be fit into this seemlessly, or you just going to have to get an aftermarket radio, control that at the radio head and route the output to the DSP?

I used Polk Audio speaker on my Commander, love them, they are advertised as 6.5" because they will fit 6.5" holes but they are really 6.75". They have a much deeper bass than most speakers I have bought, you can actually feel it on some songs, you'd have to go to sub-woofers to do better IMO. I haven't tried anything more expensive than the polk audio, so I may NOT have the most informed opinion, but I can tell you they beat the heck out of most of the Sony/Pioneer/Dual speakers you see sold around, of course many times better than the OEM speakers.

I have thread on my speaker install, I got Component Polk Speakers for the front, mounted the tweeter in the 3.5" speaker spot on the dash and the Mid in the door, put the crossover under the dash, it sounds great.
Alright, so that is just the way i want to set up my unit but, i will upload a simpler setup with less components.

so, to answer your questions:
the OTG cable is very similar to a MHL adapter and plugs into the same port. the Nexus 7 has a micro usb port where the micro usb plugs in. the OTG cable allows you to plug in a usb thumb drive (or other usb devices) and a charger.

the UC222 is a DAC (digital analog coverter) it plugs into the USB of the OTG dongle and turns the signal from the nexus 8 into a digital signal for me to use an optical cable.

the PPI in the box with Power precision written on it. it is a sound processor. the reason i picked it is its cheap price (compared to others) and its ability to take a digital signal.

the UC222 sends a digital signal to the PPI DSP-88R with an optical wire, this gives the best possible signal and only one wire to run =]

now the PPI comes with a small controller which is something that i wanted. its a must for me to have a knob to control volume.

regarding polk speakers. i have used the DB line and the MM line. both awesome. im either using a set of focals or some high end kickers i have, i believe the QS65.2

in a few i will post a much simpler setup for those that are interested along with some more pics and a video if i can upload it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Simple option 1:

here we have a nexus 7 tablet that has the UC222 connected to it by the otg cable. from there the UC222 connects to the pioneer (or any other radio) by rca to aux cable.

the radio will be hidden in your glove compartment.

the reason i am still using the UC222 is that it provides a cleaner and stronger signal then the headphone jack.

option 2 even simpler:

here we have a nexus 7. no otg cable just a power cable. it connects to the pioneer radio (or any other radio of your choice) by bluetooth

the head unit will be hidden in your glove compartment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts