Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'd check your owner's manual and see what the gap should be. You might have got some bad info off of the forums. If they were purchased for your specific vehicle and it says pre gapped then you shouldnt have to gap them.

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
the manual has the suggested settings foe the factory plugs which are not ngk. the ngk's probably fit several other vehicles and are gapped for one of them. id go by what the website says.

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
ldc2335 said:
initial results are + 3 mpg's all city driving, ill have to wait till i fill up for more long term results

hopefully this will be the factor i was lacking, i was getting 12.3 - 12.9 all city with intake and exhaust done. i finished the drive today at 15.7, i hope it stays
Yes, please do report ongoing results. I'd switch to these if your results hold, your mpg is identical to mine.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
my mileage is constantly 15 around town and 20-21 on the highway. not bad with 32" tires if you ask me. this is a correct calculation as well. using my GPS for miles traveled.

i use cruise on the highway all the time and sometimes in town. there not a lot of traffic, and i can set the cruise to 35 mph for a few miles that don't have stop lights.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
With mine I'm getting 17-18 mixed, which isn't too bad. Most of my commute is highway, so that helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I work for Honeywell - Autolite and I know part of our quality check is to make sure the plug has the correct gap....If you change the gap you change the way the spark arcs which could result in misfires. If you have damage to your engine as a result, since you changed the gap, you screwed yourself. I put a set of Autolite XPs in an 02 Wrangler that was getting 15ish mpg and it jumped up to over 20. I'm going to put a set in the commander, but i'm debating about when I should do it. I'm assuming that the commander's come w/ Champion plugs, but does anyone know if they're platinum or a higher grade, or are they just plain plugs? I'm below 30K so I shouldn't have to change them yet.

·
Registered
230 Posts
yep regular crappy plugs in the Hemi as well - Platinum plugs are next on the "need" agenda since I have picked up a slight hesitation and have lost about 1 mpg in the past 3 months - now down to a combined 12.5 mpg OUCH

·
Registered
76 Posts
sparkplug gap info is usually on the emission spec sticker in the engine compartment. Gapping the G-power plugs takes extreme care and patients on not damaging the electrode since is very fragile.

Had the G-power in my XK for a month and MPG is about 1-2+.But thats probably because the old copper core plugs were very worn. Other than that I have no problems with it. Gonna wait til the next 20K miles before I check the wear on these plugs. The old champions lasted no more than 20K.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
follow up: all city driving all under 60 mph

i used the computer to calculate and my everyday trip to work as a base trip

before plugs avg. 12.3 - 12.9 mpg normal style driving

after plugs avg. 14.4-14.9 mpg normal driving style

driving a little less aggressive, i can keep it in the 15's easy, i just have a lead foot

driving like a grandma, i did a few trips and kept it in the 17's.. i couldnt believe it..

bottom line $22 plugs worth it to me

so about a 2 mpg gain with my normal driving style which gives me about about 40 more mile per tank......not bad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts