Jeep Commander Forum banner

Nightshaded my tail lights

30K views 48 replies 20 participants last post by  Kansas1230 
#1 ·
I was a little unsure of how they would look but now that they are finished they are awesome. I am wanting to do the upper rear breaklight also. I'm just afraid of messing up the wiper fluid sprayer that's apart of it when I have to take it off. If anyone has any advice for that part please let me know.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I have been wanting to do this my self.
Ever since I saw this commander in the Cardomain thread, I have been thinking about doing it on my XK too. But this guy's tint looks so much darker, which I would want on my Black XK (as long as the light still goes through).

Either way, welcome to the forum! Nice looking rig, enick :werd:

Edit: It looks like this Commander tinted the top brakelight, so I don't know if that helps you

#6 ·
Looks good. Welcome to the Forum!

#16 ·
First of all, I'm a GIRL.
When I said "this guy's tint looks so much darker" I was referring to the cardomain XK, not yours. Plus, youre a newb! How are we to know your gender after one post :rofl:

Without going outside and looking at it and if I remember correctly, I think the brake light has two phillips screws you remove and you can remove the wiper hose and unclip the light. Should be easier than the taillights (IMO).. but dont quote me on it

Any other future upgrades planned?

#12 ·
They are illegal in most states, the vehicle manufacture is required to have a certain percent of reflectable lense to the rear, AZ law simply states it is a violation to change the tail lamps or cover them with any material.

#13 ·
They would fine you big for that here in the "great" garden state. You cannot even have stone guards on your lights because it is an obstruction. The only vehicle you could get away with that is on a undercover cop car. They have smoked headlights and tail lights and they are the only vehicle that has tinted front side windows and even the windshields are tinted. So much for "undercover" because they stick out like sore thumbs.

#17 ·
Thanks. About future mods, YES! many...window tinting, rims (I know people will be like 'why on an off road vehicle?'), different grill, nightshading the signal lights, leds for most all interior lights. My wonderful husband has all the ideas and executes them. I would like to go for the "murdered look". Hmmm, better sound system than I have currently. Anything that can make it more appealing to the eye.

#19 · (Edited)
Two screws and it comes right out:

I also was stopped for having tinted covers on the front and back lights on my Mustang convertable and had to remove them to avoid the ticket in Vermont.

#22 · (Edited)
I did not remove it. I just wanted to make sure that I had clearance behind the areas to the sides where I installed sequential turn signals. It should just slide of if you are careful and do not break the connector.

If you are worried breaking it, just cut the rubber hose and splice it back with a vacuum line splice with barbed ends.

#42 ·
I know that is true, but I have seen several of them driving around Pearland and Houston with the taillights done.

#24 ·
how do you find out whether its legal or not...cause im having trouble...(Delaware Law is like a 2.5 million piece puzzle of carnations).

#25 ·
§ 4339. Color of clearance lamps, side marker lamps, backup lamps and reflectors.

(a) Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.

(b) Rear clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.

(c) All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except the stoplight or other signal device, which may be red, amber or yellow, and except that the light illuminating the license plate shall be white and the light emitted by a backup lamp shall be white or amber.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4339; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

#27 ·
http://www.dmv.de.gov/services/driver_services/drivers_license/dr_lic_equipment.shtml

The above link states all requirements for any light on your vehicle. From what I read it's pretty much illegal. On my Commander though it's worth it and I guess nothing has happened yet so I'm not concerned about it. There are worse things you could do.

By the way, the upper break light I was having problems with, not wanting to break any part of it...remove 2 screws (I call them star screws cuz I don't know what else they are),unattach the electical clips to the light, and the fluid sprayer is jsut a hosed attachment. It slides right off.

#28 ·
By the way, the upper break light I was having problems with, not wanting to break any part of it...remove 2 screws (I call them star screws cuz I don't know what else they are)
They are called Torx Screws or Torx head screws

#31 ·
thanks sorry for being late on the response

#32 · (Edited)
Nice mod. I have a black commander and also got my tailights, third brake light, and front turn signals tinted (except I left the white back-up part clear on the tailights). Really adds a nice spice to the car. About tickets, I would imagine you will probably be hassled in the future for your lights. I have been pulled over twice with mine on (for other reasons) and never got a ticket. A family friend, who is a cop, told me that this was probably due to the fact that the backup light was left clear. I guess it fools many of those busy MA cops, but yours looks smoked out from a mile away. Cool mod anyways, looks good on your color commander. Also, your mod list looks very similar to mine lol. Would put window tints and sounds system as a next priority for you (my two favs by far).

#34 ·
I've heard of people smoking some crazy stuff, but tail lights ? How do you do that...crush them up and then wrap it ? How do you light it ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.