Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used VHT Nite Shades to tint their tail lights? If so, how well does it work and is it easy to apply? Also, were you happy with the result?

·
Registered
205 Posts
If it's a spray, does that mean you run the risk of runs and uneveness if you don't do it properly? I don't think I'd take that risk, unless it comes off easily.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have tinted my taillights with nightshades. I put it on in VERY thin coats to reduce the risk of running. I dont remember how many coats but you have to make sure they both match in darkness. My XK is black with the black mopar taillight guards so it gives it the blacked out look that is pretty sweet. I didnt black them out totally though, I wanted it to still be safe and legal. You can still see some red and you get enough light out of it for the brake lights. It is tinted to a dark red shade. The process was easy and I am happy with the appearance.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Used it on my turn signals on my old Ford Focus. A lot of other Focus owners had been using it on their taillights with good results.

The key is to apply EVEN coats on both lights, and just take your time letting them dry. A good layer of clearcoat helps add some shine once you are done with the Niteshades, as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Command This. said:
I have tinted my taillights with nightshades. I put it on in VERY thin coats to reduce the risk of running. I dont remember how many coats but you have to make sure they both match in darkness. My XK is black with the black mopar taillight guards so it gives it the blacked out look that is pretty sweet. I didnt black them out totally though, I wanted it to still be safe and legal. You can still see some red and you get enough light out of it for the brake lights. It is tinted to a dark red shade. The process was easy and I am happy with the appearance.
do you have any pics so we can see your results. thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used it on my F150...and ditto what everyone else is saying....take your time and do thin coats with the lights next to each other, so they stay even in color. Clear coat them after your final coat....it makes them nice and shiney. Take your time and it will turn out fine.

·
Registered
455 Posts
donutz said:
do you have any pics so we can see your results. thanks
I will once I have a clean XK. It has been snowing or raining non stop so my jeep is covered in salt. I will get a pic next time I wash it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Same here - used it with great results by taking my time on my old Z28 and it came out very nice. Although, upon very careful inspection, the left side always had a bit more orange peel look to it than the right side, but seriously not noticeable until you were on top of it. Thin coats and even layers worked great. Haven't touched the Jeep with it yet, thinking of swapping out the rear tails for the LED's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts