Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody using pure nitrogen in their tires? I had my Cmdr serviced in Traverse City, MI; that dealer was pushing the service. Didn't find out the cost. I passed since I would want to start the service at my home dealer's (who doesn't yet have the equipment). The line is that the nitrogen molecules are larger than the oxygen, so the tires will hold their pressure better & thus be safer and more efficient. You'd have the problem of getting your tires serviced at your favorite tire shoppe if they didn't have the equipment; you could always add plain old "air". (Michelin tires traditionally also hold pressure supposedly due to the rubber composition - my personal experience attests to that. My Cmdr came with Goodyears which also seem to be holding well.)

·
Registered
473 Posts
nitrogen is generally used in tires for racing applications. it is more stable so maintains its pressure better than compressed air. there are several racers that still used compressed air as there isn't much advantage to using nitrogen. i can't see where it would benefit anyone running nitrogen in street tires. in my opinion its not worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here in Germany they are more and more using nitrogen, Most cars here are outside and not stored in a garage. The temp change from winter to summer and the higher autobahn speeds do generate lot more heat. You don't get water condensation inside your tires, but it is a hassle finding nitrogen and slight cost. I take my other car to the track and with air the tires can go up almost 10 psi, that can be the difference in a blown tire or not. With nitro no change. But again , in German autobahns in summer and their elevated speeds this can be a benefit. Then winter very little change.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The local Porsche dealer offers this service as well. I continue to just use air in all my tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use the Nitrogen in mine, helped in the winter to maintain the tire pressure. There were no leaks but the 'shrinkage' in the cold set off the pressure sensors often. Since the switch to Nitrogen - no problems. I did also note a slight maybe half gallon mpg increase overall as well. Cost me less than $20 to fill up and any 'top offs' are free afterward. Haven't had to do that yet.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
emsjeeper said:
I use the Nitrogen in mine, helped in the winter to maintain the tire pressure. There were no leaks but the 'shrinkage' in the cold set off the pressure sensors often. Since the switch to Nitrogen - no problems. I did also note a slight maybe half gallon mpg increase overall as well. Cost me less than $20 to fill up and any 'top offs' are free afterward. Haven't had to do that yet.
That was why I was really curious about it. Here in AZ we have large temperature and elevation ranges which can mess with the tire pressure. For example in the winter I can leave 70F temps at home and drive up to Flagstaff only to find temps in the teens. This means when I come out of the hotel in the morning I would find the tire pressures quite low. If nitrogen keeps the pressures more even that would be helpful.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The atmosphere has about 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen. When you put "normal" air in your tires, you already are filling the tires with 80% nitrogen. Would the other 20% make a difference? Maybe, maybe not. When I had new tires put on our old Grand Caravan, they put in nitrogen. I will say that I had to put air in the tires less. I wouldn't use nitrogen unless it's free.

·
Registered
717 Posts
When I had my Fortera Silent Armors put on my WJ they filled the tires with nitrogen at no additional cost......Mileage went up slightly...Don't know if that was a direct benefit of having nitrogen in the tires or just having properly inflated tires

·
Registered
230 Posts
Local dealerships here have been using nitrogen fills for a bit more than a year now - once one started it, they all kind of started to offer it. My car has had it in since I got the new tires put on last July - one year later, and 23,000 miles later, my tires all have exactly 33 pounds of pressure in them without ever touching them. That part is great!

I have noticed that during colder mornings, the tires feel a bit "lumpy" - hard to explain, but it just doesn;t feel quite right until the temp in the tires warm up a bit - it isn't crazy noticeable, but I can feel it (225/50 R16's)

I don't think I would go out of my way for this servie or even pay extra, but if it is offered, the pressure has been stable as can be. 23,000 miles and I am getting new tires next week, so they will have nitro in them as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My family has been running Nitrogen in tires for about 4 years. We have seen lower operating temps, better fuel mileage, better tire wear, and stability in tire pressure. Most of our testing has been in 18 wheelers with some on our personal vehicles. We have one rig that runs almost the same route everyday minus accidents and road construction that was able to get 15K miles of more wear.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The tire dealer touts the fuel economy, but I can't verify, because I don't know what my car would have gotten running regular air.

·
Registered
23 Posts
From Goss' Garage on Motorweek:

Now here's something that's relatively new, something you should be looking for, this is nitrogen and nitrogen in tires has a number of advantages, but one of its biggest advantages is that it's dry. Whenever you fill a tire off of a regular air supply there will be moisture in that air. Moisture can corrode the wheels, it can damage the sensors if you happen to have a tire pressure monitoring system on your car, all of these things. Nitrogen is completely dry!

But, a couple of things: number one, if you have nitrogen in the tires, you should have valve stem caps, or something that identifies it, like green markings on the caps, so that anybody knows that there is nitrogen in the tires. Also make sure that the repair shop has a nitrogen tester. This will tell if the nitrogen they're putting into your tires is a proper concentration, without that you might get air.

And finally, no matter what you have in your tires, the most important single thing that you can do is routinely monitor air pressure. Use a high quality gauge and do it at least once a month, it makes all the difference in how long your tires wear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
prudemonkey said:
The tire dealer touts the fuel economy, but I can't verify, because I don't know what my car would have gotten running regular air.
Fuel mileage is EXACTLY the same whether using nitrogen or air, don't let anyone tell you any different.

If you have to pay for nitrogen you are wasting your money.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Milous said:
Fuel mileage is EXACTLY the same whether using nitrogen or air, don't let anyone tell you any different.

If you have to pay for nitrogen you are wasting your money.
Well, if the pressures are more stable with nitrogen you could increase your fuel economy... the whole properly inflated tire thing. To me it wouldn't be a waste of money if the pressures are more stable across a greater range of elevations and temperatures. Not all of us live in flat areas... here in AZ we have very large elevation and temperature ranges which mess with the tire pressures.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts