Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the low tire warning on my 08 sport. I was told that using nitrogen in the tire will help with pressure fluxuating. I live in denver Co so the outside temp changes quite a bit.Is this true and what are the advantages

·
Banned
389 Posts
i have the low tire warning on my 08 sport. I was told that using nitrogen in the tire will help with pressure fluxuating. I live in denver Co so the outside temp changes quite a bit.Is this true and what are the advantages
Nitrogen inflation is a dealership scam...just fill it up with regular old free air (which is 70% nitrogen anyways).... :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
X2

Actually its closer to 78% nitrogen.

There is absolutely NO benefit to nitrogen filled tires on consumer automobiles.

Except increased gas mileage from the weight reduction in your wallet....

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
X2

Actually its closer to 78% nitrogen.

There is absolutely NO benefit to nitrogen filled tires on consumer automobiles.

Except increased gas mileage from the weight reduction in your wallet....
What applications call for nitrogen inflation and why? Sounds like snake oil to me.

·
Banned
389 Posts
What applications call for nitrogen inflation and why? Sounds like snake oil to me.
Snake oil it is. Well put! Anybody who would spend money on a new vehicle at a dealership and fall for the $100+ scam of nitrogen inflated tires, and keep those ugly looking lime green valve caps on for years afterwards might just buy some ocean front property in Colorado too...PT Barnum was right, there really is a "sucker born every minute." :)

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Its primarily used in aerospace systems where there are large fluctuations in temp and pressure. Having 100% nitrogen allows them to calculate the expected changes in pressure so they can monitor the system and identify leaks.

The added moisture and other contaminants in air throw off the calculations..... so you never really know what the "new" pressure is going to be under the new temp & pressure environment during flight.

I also believe NASCAR adopted this too since tire pressure during a race is extremely important and those tires get very hot. So having 100% ideal gas in then gives better control over heated race pressures.

None of this matters for our vehicles. There are actually people out there who have argued with me and said the benefit of nitrogen is that it doesn't change pressure with temperature. I told them to go back to high-school and stop using sales brochures as a surrogate for knowledge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts