Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Commander limited, and when I turn the electronic climate controls to defrost, the air immediately comes out the vents. I can hear the motor running and trying to switch but it never comes out the top vents on the windshield. When I select the vents or floor setting, it appears to work correctly, it is just the defrost which is the most important setting. I took it to the dealer yesterday, and they could not see anything obviously wrong although they charged me 150 dollars to look at it and wanted 900 more to remove the dash to start looking for the problem. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? I sure don't want to pay 900 bucks labor to go on a exploration mission, then pay more if they find the part that is broken.

Any help to avoid the stealership would be so much appreciated.

Thanks
fireman603

·
Banned
389 Posts
issue

I had a similar issue w/ my 2000 Cherokee the stealership wanted to also take the dash out and go on an exploratory mission and I turned their offer down. I got a buddy of mine to help me remove the dash on a sunny Saturday and was able to fix my problem, but since its not really a similar vehicle yours might not be as easy of a fix (mine was actually a vacuum line issue). I'd recommend searching around your area for someone to help you on your own, someone who is handy with taking things apart and reassembling them without damage because a dash assembly is a touchy thing to go pulling apart without help and experience. Good luck!

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
The Commander is electric, not vacuum. There is a blend valve that rotates to switch the air to the level that you want: Top (defrost), Middle (vents), Bottom (floor). Put the Jeep in a place where it is quiet (garage?). Turn ignition key on, but do not start. Make sure HVAC system is on. Rotate knob between the settings and you will hear the blend valve working (a quiet groaning!). You should hear it rotate to floor (one direction) because you say that is working. What do you hear in the other direction? Clicking would indicate broken gears. Straining would indicate an obstruction. If it sounds the same in both directions, the valve is working properly. Members have written that items have fallen down in the defroster registers which can block the air flow. If I remember correctly, one member stated that it was a quarter! Good luck. :eek:rangehat:

·
Banned
389 Posts
The Commander is electric, not vacuum. There is a blend valve that rotates to switch the air to the level that you want: Top (defrost), Middle (vents), Bottom (floor). Put the Jeep in a place where it is quiet (garage?). Turn ignition key on, but do not start. Make sure HVAC system is on. Rotate knob between the settings and you will hear the blend valve working (a quiet groaning!). You should hear it rotate to floor (one direction) because you say that is working. What do you hear in the other direction? Clicking would indicate broken gears. Straining would indicate an obstruction. If it sounds the same in both directions, the valve is working properly. Members have written that items have fallen down in the defroster registers which can block the air flow. If I remember correctly, one member stated that it was a quarter! Good luck. :eek:rangehat:
I was kinda guessing that the Commander wasn't vacuum like my old Cherokee, just was mentioning that for him more on the note that he should make sure to find someone to help him with it that is the "handy" type in case if he's not....thanks for the info. (dhh3) good tip!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts