Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2006 Commander V8 4.7 with almost 200,000 miles.

The more work we have done, the more the worse it gets. The mechanics we have taken to say they can't figure it out, but I don't know if I believe that. I think they just didn't try hard because they knew we had spent most of our money already.

Anyway, it started with a leaking radiator and an ignition switch problem. We had a shop replace the radiator. It was fine at that point except for intermittent heat and some noise that we suspected was the water pump. We decided to go ahead and have the water pump done just in case.

When we got it back from the shop, there was no heat and it was overheating. We took it back to them. They put in a new thermostat and temperature sensor and flushed the system. They said they couldn't figure out the problem. When we picked it up again, it was shaking, and misfiring. Then, the the brake pedal got hard.

We then had it towed to a different shop. They said they looked at it and couldn't figure it out. They said there were no exhaust gases in the coolant so they didn't think it was the head gasket.

We started with a car that ran fine with a leaky radiator. Now, we can't even drive it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
230 Posts
We have a 2006 Commander V8 4.7 with almost 200,000 miles.

The more work we have done, the more the worse it gets. The mechanics we have taken to say they can't figure it out, but I don't know if I believe that. I think they just didn't try hard because they knew we had spent most of our money already.

Anyway, it started with a leaking radiator and an ignition switch problem. We had a shop replace the radiator. It was fine at that point except for intermittent heat and some noise that we suspected was the water pump. We decided to go ahead and have the water pump done just in case.

When we got it back from the shop, there was no heat and it was overheating. We took it back to them. They put in a new thermostat and temperature sensor and flushed the system. They said they couldn't figure out the problem. When we picked it up again, it was shaking, and misfiring. Then, the the brake pedal got hard.

We then had it towed to a different shop. They said they looked at it and couldn't figure it out. They said there were no exhaust gases in the coolant so they didn't think it was the head gasket.

We started with a car that ran fine with a leaky radiator. Now, we can't even drive it. Any ideas?
Did they "burp" the system? This purges the air trapped in the cooling system. If this is not done, you get overheating quickly. You will have what appears to be a full system while you do this.
When I did my 4.7 waterpump, I spent 45 minutes on this process. I did a search on this forum under burping a 4.7 and found this : Search results for query: burp cooling system on 4.7. If this was skipped this for the radiator, and then the pump, you would have problems each time.
The hard pedal would indicate no vacuum to the power brakes. Probably a vacuum hose got disconnected?

·
Registered
230 Posts
OBTW, the "bleeder screw" referred to is a plug in the housing for the upper radiator hose. I cannot remember the size of the allen wrench required to open the plug. If you have a metric bolt of the right size, you can insert it head first into the plug, and turn it with vise grips .

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Commander Sport 4.7L V8
255 Posts
Sounds like the Danny Devito shop off Matilda is working on it :(. Work the burp yourself, and you can do it without the bleeder port if necessary just takes a little longer. run it for 20ish min, let it cool off for about 30+min, it'll drain the coolant from overflow. Fill the overflow tank up again and run for 20ish and let cool again. Rinse and repeat until overflow doesn't empty once cool. Will help if you rev it.

Check your spark plug boot wires, maybe the pulled one out for it to misfire and shake? Not sure on brake pedal, I second the notion of checking for the vacuum tube lines. You sure they don't have a crooked tech in there just causing issues to pull more money from you? I hate to think that way, butt jeez.

Sounds like the second shop doesn't really want to dump much time on it.

At this point, I'd politely request a thorough write up of EVERY step the shop took on the JEEP. then walk through everything in the path and proximity.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Any codes?

The intermittent heat and overheat, is usually air in the system since youve replaced all the major components.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts