Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing my 32's, I was having some rubbing issues at full turn.

I cut out a square of the inside wheel well, bashed the pinch weld over, and painted the area black. It really isn't that noticeable at a glance, and I have no rubbing issues now.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Although it would have required more steps, could have you done it without cutting the plastic (ie. remove the plastic, bash the pinch weld over, paint, and replace the plastic)? Just curious.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dh63269 said:
so do you have 32's or 35's?

32's on the XK

35's on the JK

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rubicontrail.net said:
Although it would have required more steps, could have you done it without cutting the plastic (ie. remove the plastic, bash the pinch weld over, paint, and replace the plastic)? Just curious.

I don't know. I think the tire would still rub the plastic even if the pinch weld wasn't sticking out. You know? The plastic it where it is regardless.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I dont think that i have the balls yet to start cutting up the Comander any worse then when i did to install the rear trailer hitch. I paid too damm much money for this vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I think he would rub the plastic as well if it hadn't been cut out. Doesn't look bad.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
PolarBZ said:
I think he would rub the plastic as well if it hadn't been cut out. Doesn't look bad.
With a heat gun you can reshape the plastic and not cut anything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a49erFootballFan said:
With a heat gun you can reshape the plastic and not cut anything.

Yeah I saw the post that guy put up about that. Even he ended up hacking the wheel well up because it didn't work out that great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Any issues with the passenger side wheel well? Thought there were some AC lines or something that go to the rear controls mounted awful close in the rear of the passenger front wheel well. Let me know if you can as this is the route I am about to take as well.

-Jared

·
Registered
451 Posts
I tried the heat gun thing and it didn't work that great. Now the wheel well is mal-formed and I still get a little squeak when I turn and the tires are wet. It isn't a big deal, I think I'll just wait for nicer weather and pound over the weld and possibly leave the plastic as is....

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I am having the same exact rub issues. It doesn't bother me THAT much to do anything about it just yet, though.

Had my first "bottoming out" today, though, while going over some train tracks. Guess I was going a little faster than I should've been (was going the same speed over them that I used to in my ZJ... but I guess that's the difference between 2" on the XK and almost 6" on the ZJ). I felt the tires go straight to the top of the fender. Got home, and saw where the tires had rubbed off some of the dirt. Nothing major, but definitely a lesson learned.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wonder if I am going to have this same issue when I get my tires on. I ordered 255/70/17 and I am pretty sure they will not rub but I guess I will find out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts