Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, so I made the decision to keep my 07 commander for a few more years to see if I could make it to 300k miles or a little less, currently at 244k~. Well not seeming to be a good idea. Just recently gotten it from a shop for ball joints a couple sensors and etc had it for two days. In the 1st day having it back the battery light kept popping on and could smell an electrical burning smell. Took it by O'Reilly, no codes and everything checked out fine. Next day hits about. 90 here in my part of VA on the highway start to smell it again, battery light pops in then I start to see smoke. Next the abs and traction control goes off then the 4wd and a sudden hard studder followed by a transmission over temp then a system shut down, cutting off right when I got to the peak of a hill luckily. Popped the hood and the plastic cap on the alternator was melted along with the alternator looking fried. New alternator was put in and now it only does a click lights come on battery light, service 4wd, transmission over temp, check gauges, abs, and traction control stay lit.

I've searched different forums and seen most linking it back to the starter but wanted to see if there are any other suggestions any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Administrator
15,359 Posts
Hello everyone, so I made the decision to keep my 07 commander for a few more years to see if I could make it to 300k miles or a little less, currently at 244k~. Well not seeming to be a good idea. Just recently gotten it from a shop for ball joints a couple sensors and etc had it for two days. In the 1st day having it back the battery light kept popping on and could smell an electrical burning smell. Took it by O'Reilly, no codes and everything checked out fine. Next day hits about. 90 here in my part of VA on the highway start to smell it again, battery light pops in then I start to see smoke. Next the abs and traction control goes off then the 4wd and a sudden hard studder followed by a transmission over temp then a system shut down, cutting off right when I got to the peak of a hill luckily. Popped the hood and the plastic cap on the alternator was melted along with the alternator looking fried. New alternator was put in and now it only does a click lights come on battery light, service 4wd, transmission over temp, check gauges, abs, and traction control stay lit.

I've searched different forums and seen most linking it back to the starter but wanted to see if there are any other suggestions any help is appreciated!

@kazp3r17 Did you put a new battery in?

·
Administrator
6,472 Posts
Battery was checked and still good.

@kazp3r17;

Personally, I would replace the battery anyway; If the alternator fried/went bad, that almost certainly would have had some adverse effects on the battery.

Seems like I'm replacing my battery every 3 yrs or so. In the Florida heat, that's about all you can safely get out of them - and that's on an engine & alternator that's been running with no issues.

I'd also check your engine grounding straps & make sure they are not broken, they are rust free & making solid contact with bare metal on the chassis/firewall as designed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@kazp3r17;

Personally, I would replace the battery anyway; If the alternator fried/went bad, that almost certainly would have had some adverse effects on the battery.

Seems like I'm replacing my battery every 3 yrs or so. In the Florida heat, that's about all you can safely get out of them - and that's on an engine & alternator that's been running with no issues.

I'd also check your engine grounding straps & make sure they are not broken, they are rust free & making solid contact with bare metal on the chassis/firewall as designed.
Good point there, I'll have to pick up a new battery this evening for it. Just had it towed to a local shop to pull the starter off and redo the starter wire that I never got around to redoing after a quick fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up the XK last Wednesday from the garage and still no start. The mechanic can't even figure out what's wrong with it so it's just gonna sit until I'm able to tinker on it again. Ended up finding a '12 wk2 for a good price

1 - 6 of 6 Posts