Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm sure I can find the issue but it save me some diagnosis time if anyone has a clue where to look. It sounds like the right front wheel is falling off when I hit even a slight crack in the road. I can't stand it any longer.

I know the wheel is tight so its something underneath. This hard winter we have had has not been easy on her!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Is your jeep lifted? If so what lift? How many miles are on your jeep and when was the last time the sway bar end links and bushing were replaced.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry, Bone stock 09 Hemi Limited QT2, 42,000 miles

I have never had to fix anything on this Jeep, just routine maintenance and the N23 recall/actuator replacement. Yes my 4-low works still 3 months after the new actuator

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I would disconnect the front sway bar end links and take it for a drive and see if the noise goes away. If it does you know that's the problem.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would disconnect the front sway bar end links and take it for a drive and see if the noise goes away. If it does you know that's the problem.
Okay, that's what I thought it might be. Are there replaceable bushings or do I need to replace the entire end links? Is this a dealer only item?

My Jeep has been flawless so I really can't complain. I love it!

I hope to do a 2" lift soon.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The bushings are replaceable and available just about anywhere. easy job. I'd replace the links too. The rubber wears out.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I would just get OEM replacement end links and sway bar bushings. Like I said though, I would disconnect the end links first and see if the noise goes away before buying new parts. If it doesn't that eliminates that being the problem

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would just get OEM replacement end links and sway bar bushings. Like I said though, I would disconnect the end links first and see if the noise goes away before buying new parts. If it doesn't that eliminates that being the problem
Thanks. Its the sway bar. I picked up a set of Moog bushings and end links today. I'll get them on tomorrow when it warms up.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Nice!!! Glad I could help out.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FIXED! It took all of 30min to replace the bushings and end links! Easy! Now she is quiet again and the love affair continues!

I love my Commander :SM120:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I shouldn't have bragged :(

I drove it about 10 miles tonight and its almost as bad as it was. I brought it back to the house and pulled the pass side wheel off and found that the dust shield was rattling so I fixed that, still making the popping/clunking sound. I did a ball joint/TRE check and those feel good and tight but I can kick the front of the tire and it makes a similar noise to what I hear in the cabin.

Any idea's, There is a bushing that the strut mounts into on the lower CA that could be the culprit. I will pry on it tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Did you tighten everything up to proper spec? If you took off the end links and drove it and the noise was no longer there than that was definitely the issue. So I'm guessing you didn't do that?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you tighten everything up to proper spec? If you took off the end links and drove it and the noise was no longer there than that was definitely the issue. So I'm guessing you didn't do that?
No, I just threw parts at it. I am pressed for time right now. Of the 4 Jeeps in my driveway, 3 are broke down and the other is my trail rig. My 94 XJ needs a new engine, I have it, just no time to drop it in, my 90 XJ has bad death wobble so it needs some parts. The Commander is drivable but worries me with this noise.

I'm getting divorced so money is to tight to drop it off and get it fixed right now.

Any idea's, everything is tight to spec.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The lower ball joints are shot. 1/4" up down play in the pass side. The drivers side is minimal but still not good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was having the same issue. Changed all the suggested bushings and that didn't help so I have left it alone for awhile. Very annoying.

I took the commander in to get the tires rotated yesterday and the tech asked if I was having noise issues. He said that it was common on the Jeeps and showed me the issue I was having. He pointed out to small cracks on the wheel. It seems that what looked like chrome wheels is really just a non-removeable hub cap that will crack and start to make that rattle when hitting bumps. With the Jeep off the ground he hit the tire with a hammer and there was the noise. He rotated the tires and now my noise is coming from the rear. Just not as noticeable from the driver seat.

The only way to get rid of the noise is to replace the wheel. Unfortunately the used replacement he found had a small crack in the cap also. So, for now I live with it but am happy that it isn't something that is causing more damage to the vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got the same clunk as well - happened after I had the 2" RC lift installed. I've done some investigating online and apparently it's a common problem with the tie ends that connect to the sway bar...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts