Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone besides me had problems with the driver and passenger side doors sounding like a groan or a moan when opening and closing? It sorta reminds me of my mom's old Ford LTD when the hinges went dry. Anyway, I started with the dealer 2 years ago about this, and now its getting close to my end of the 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes .... I used some kind of apray lube in between WD40 and White Litium ... it's called Fluid Film .. they've been quite for a couple months now :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ours has started doing this. 08 purchased new 6 months ago, less than 15k miles.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I remember back in the day, whenever you got an oil change and lube job, they would spray your door hinges with white lithium grease. I don't know any shop doing this on a regular basis. So do what I did, buy a spray can of white lithium and spray your hinges once a month or so.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Body Lubrication
Locks and all body pivot points, including such items as
seat tracks, doors, tailgate and hood hinges, should be
lubricated periodically to assure quiet, easy operation
and to protect against rust and wear. Prior to the appli-
cation of any lubricant, the parts concerned should be
wiped clean to remove dust and grit; after lubricating
excess oil and grease should be removed. Particular
attention should also be given to hood latching compo-
nents to insure proper function. When performing other
underhood services, the hood latch, release mechanism
and safety catch should be cleaned and lubricated.
The external lock cylinders should be lubricated twice a
year, preferably in the fall and spring. Apply a small
amount of a high quality lubricant such as Mopar Lock
Cylinder Lubricant directly into the lock cylinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't understand how it is that I paid almost $36,000.00 for this Commander and the damn doors sound like a barnyard door opening and closing. I'm no dummy when it comes to lubricting the hinges, for when my storm door on my house squeeks I spray it. But, I also didn't pay $36,000. for the storm door. I've had it at 2 different dealer's 4 times for this and each time I was told they had to lube the hinges, and that this was a problem for Jeep because the hinges constant metal on metal (friction). Has anyone had their hinges replaced yet? I'm not the type to just throw some lube on and take it, although from the previous post, I believe some do.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I don't understand how it is that I paid almost $36,000.00 for this Commander and the damn doors sound like a barnyard door opening and closing. I'm no dummy when it comes to lubricting the hinges, for when my storm door on my house squeeks I spray it. But, I also didn't pay $36,000. for the storm door. I've had it at 2 different dealer's 4 times for this and each time I was told they had to lube the hinges, and that this was a problem for Jeep because the hinges constant metal on metal (friction). Has anyone had their hinges replaced yet? I'm not the type to just throw some lube on and take it, although from the previous post, I believe some do.

Honestly there is nothing else you can really do. When the hinges lose their lubrication they are going to make noises. It doesn't matter if you paid $100 for the vehicle or $200,000. Just get a can of lithium grease like stated and apply it when ever you think about it. You drive a jeep, not a mercedes.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
My doors have made that noise for a long time now. I would spray the hinges and springs down with lithium grease and they would be back to making noise in a couple weeks. My solution was to just live with it and ignore the noise between lubrications.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I don't understand how it is that I paid almost $36,000.00 for this Commander and the damn doors sound like a barnyard door opening and closing.
THAT'S why new Jeeps come with an owners manual ... I posted the two sections that deal with body lubrication ... it's just like changing the engine oil ... cars have moving parts that need maintenance and lubrication.

The other thing is when it's making the loud noise it's messing up the hinge parts (wearing it out really fast) if you want the doors to keep working properly get some lube on them ASAP.

Dealers or even the attendant at the local "filling station" used to provide door hinge lubricatin for free at one time, now they don't.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I have not experienced this problem yet on my 2006, but I will pick up some lube just to make sure (maybe my dealer does it when they change the oil).

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Usually the primary noisemaker is the roller that pushes against the door spring.
The pin that the roller is rotating on dries out.
The door hinge pins ride on bushings, either oillite brass or nylon and hold lube fairly well.
Like others have said, clean and lube, but very few lubricants have staying power in the hinge area.
Seems like a fair amount of water can drip onto the hinges and wash out the lube.
I've had good success using a commercially available chain lube.
This can always be found at motorcycle dealers.
The lube comes with a extension tube and you can control the flow.
It comes out as a very thin liquid, not unlike WD-40, and penetrates well.
In about an hour the carrier evaporates off and the product becomes a grease.
I lube the roller and open,close a few times and then lube again.
Later, I wipe off the excess.
At that time you will see it has become a grease consistency.
Depending on how rainy it is or how often I wash it, I've found re-application at every oil change or about three months to be about right.
I stopped using the spray grease years ago because of its inability to penetrate. It just kinda lays there.

I'm kind of surprised at the post about 30k+ vehicles shouldn't require body pivot maintainence?..............Why not?

My thoughts/experience,
Rob

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Good info Robby. I'm going to check on the chain lube for better penetration, because I think something was remaining dry after lithium treatment.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Usually the primary noisemaker is the roller that pushes against the door spring.
The pin that the roller is rotating on dries out.
The door hinge pins ride on bushings, either oillite brass or nylon and hold lube fairly well.
Like others have said, clean and lube, but very few lubricants have staying power in the hinge area.
Seems like a fair amount of water can drip onto the hinges and wash out the lube.
I've had good success using a commercially available chain lube.
This can always be found at motorcycle dealers.
The lube comes with a extension tube and you can control the flow.
It comes out as a very thin liquid, not unlike WD-40, and penetrates well.
In about an hour the carrier evaporates off and the product becomes a grease.
I lube the roller and open,close a few times and then lube again.
Later, I wipe off the excess.
At that time you will see it has become a grease consistency.
Depending on how rainy it is or how often I wash it, I've found re-application at every oil change or about three months to be about right.
I stopped using the spray grease years ago because of its inability to penetrate. It just kinda lays there.

I'm kind of surprised at the post about 30k+ vehicles shouldn't require body pivot maintainence?..............Why not?

My thoughts/experience,
Rob

So your saying that if I go out and buy a $1,500,000 Bugatti Veyron I actually have to change the oil. If im going to spend that much money on a vehicle the oil should last forever...................lol.....jk:stickpoke:

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
So your saying that if I go out and buy a $1,500,000 Bugatti Veyron I actually have to change the oil. If im going to spend that much money on a vehicle the oil should last forever...................lol.....jk:stickpoke:
Oh buddy!

If I had that kind of play money, I'd change the car, not the oil every 3 months!

LOL,
Rob

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is common especially with Jeep hinges. This is the fourth Jeep I have owned in a row and all of them started to do it, especially when it's cold outside. The dealer just lubes it and it eventually comes back. I wonder if my steering wheel will start to squeal when it is turned fast (again, especially when it's cold) like my last 3 Jeeps did. I don't know why these hinges do this, I've never owned another vehicle nor has my wife that have had squeaky door hinges. Unfortunately, Chrysler and hardware don't always have the best reputation. It is frustrating though that a company's luxury SUV makes as bad of a noise as a 80's Wrangler with such commonly used part like a door hinge!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My 07 hasn't squeaked yet w/ 36k on it. I do keep them lubed though. We seen a bunch of Volvo's at work that all share a similar problem. The doors swing open and then the catch stops it at full open. The catch constantly pulls on the A Pillar until it rips the catch strap right out of the pillar. It then has to be welded up and painted, only for it to happen again. It's just a flaw that Volvo has. Now these cars retail for as much as a Commander if not more. Just because you pay a certain amount of money for a product doesn't mean that it will be perfect nor remain perfect for very long. Use some lithium grease.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts