Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Been wondering about this for a while but haven't posted a question about it...

What's the normal stance of the commander? Does the back sit higher than the front? Mine looks pretty even. Would that suggest they lifted it to even it out? How can I check for that and what should I be looking for?

TYIA!

·
Registered
338 Posts
They do tend to sit lower in the front. I you are even you may have a small spacer on to of the strut tower or possibly slightly stiffer springs.... like front springs for the v8 if you are running the v6..... or possibly the rear is just sagging.........

you could also have a 2" leveling lift which would include spacers all around but providing only a small lift in the rear.... these spacers would be on the top side of the springs.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hey all,

Been wondering about this for a while but haven't posted a question about it...

What's the normal stance of the commander? Does the back sit higher than the front? Mine looks pretty even. Would that suggest they lifted it to even it out? How can I check for that and what should I be looking for?

TYIA!
jopina7807;

From the factory, the rear of a Commander always sits about 1 1/2 to 2 inches higher than the front - what most refer to as the factory nose-dive look.

If you are sitting level, you either have after-market adjustable load-leveling front shocks - or some kind of spacers - or spacer lift installed.

This is a pic of Big Blue when I first bought her with all of the factory components still in place.

Although it's not a straight-on side view, you can still get a pretty good idea of how noticeable the nose-down angle is, as it sits from the factory.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Here is a good side view of stock ride. Wheel spacers are added, but that didn't change the stock stance.

Here is after the leveling kit with the same wheels and tires.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My kit is just the 2” Crown lift kit. Crown is the same as Rough Country.
The 2” kits give you a lot more than two. I got around four or five in the front.
You can do a search and find all kinds of info and discussions about how much the kits actually raise the front end.
I read a ton of info before I decided on my kit. Most of the info was from this great forum.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Took another pic of the jeep this morning and noticed a slight difference in stance from back to front...so don't think it's level.
It looks like yours is sitting stock.

When is it normal to replace shocks/struts, etc.? May do a lift kit and wheel spacers when those need replacing.
Generally, shocks and struts are pretty worn around 100k miles. At 130k all of mine were completely worn. If you're planning on doing a lift kit and wheel spacers on a higher mileage XK, though, you should probably be expecting to replace other worn out components on your front suspension.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I get ya....

What should I be looking at? Upper and lower CA?s, bushing, brakes (rotors and discs), struts and shocks?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Took another pic of the jeep this morning and noticed a slight difference in stance from back to front...so don?t think it?s level. Pic attached:

When is it normal to replace shocks/struts, etc.? May do a lift kit and wheel spacers when those need replacing.
That looks stock to me.

Your at 120,000 miles now and if you still running the stock shock absorbers up front & stock shocks in the rear, you're overdue to replace them in my opinion.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much should I be looking at for a complete replacement of the suspension, including a leveling/lift kit?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
How much should I be looking at for a complete replacement of the suspension, including a leveling/lift kit?
I'll echo what @cico7 said;

It depends on the components you pick and who's doing the work;

If you are talking about upper and lower control arms as well as springs shocks and a lift - I'd say every bit of 2K - maybe more.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did an OME springs/Bilstein shocks lift and paid about $850 for the parts. Local shop assembled the front shock towers for me for $40 (DO NOT attempt to do that job at home!) and then an alignment for $90. I did all the wrenching myself. Total cash outlay just shy of $1000.

The spring/shock combo lifted the front about 4 inches and the rear about 3 so the XK sits basically level now - and the ride is awesome. EDIT: Just put a set of wheel spacers on it today and the stance is just right.

Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did an OME springs/Bilstein shocks lift and paid about $850 for the parts. Local shop assembled the front shock towers for me for $40 (DO NOT attempt to do that job at home!) and then an alignment for $90. I did all the wrenching myself. Total cash outlay just shy of $1000.

The spring/shock combo lifted the front about 4 inches and the rear about 3 so the XK sits basically level now - and the ride is awesome. Just put a set of spacers on it today and the stance is just right.

Bob
Hi TwoBobsXK,

So, are you saying that you did the spacers in addition to the ome bilstein 4in lift? What size spacers and how much lift now with the spacers?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi TwoBobsXK,

So, are you saying that you did the spacers in addition to the ome bilstein 4in lift? What size spacers and how much lift now with the spacers?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
Nope, no spacers in the suspension. I wasn't clear in my previous post - I added wheel spacers to get the tires out to the edges of the flares. Sorry about the confusion. Just the springs lifted it that amount.

The factory springs don't last all that long and I have experience with OME products with my Liberty and really liked them. I didn't want an offroad Commander since my Liberty fills that role for me but the OME springs gave me the lift and ride I wanted.

Since you're going to be up under the XK to basically tear apart the suspension I strongly suggest you replace the shocks at minimum. They are shot at about 60K to 70K miles - you'll be 'shocked' (HaHa!) at how much better your Jeep will ride and how much more stable it will feel. Add the lift from some spacers and you'll have a new Jeep ;)

Bob

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, so RC spacer loft came in this week and will be buying the rest of the system within the next week or two. Mainly posting for confirmation or suggestions if I’m looking at the wrong things:

RC kit - arrived
Bilstein shocks and struts - purchasing this week
OEM springs - purchasing this week
JBA upper and lower - after Christmas
Wheel spacers - after the new year

Won’t install until all components are in, so probably early spring if I’m lucky!

Does this list look right? Am I missing anything?

·
Banned
159 Posts
Alright, so RC spacer loft came in this week and will be buying the rest of the system within the next week or two. Mainly posting for confirmation or suggestions if I’m looking at the wrong things:

RC kit - arrived
Bilstein shocks and struts - purchasing this week
OEM springs - purchasing this week
JBA upper and lower - after Christmas
Wheel spacers - after the new year

Won’t install until all components are in, so probably early spring if I’m lucky!

Does this list look right? Am I missing anything?
not 100% necessary but you might want to throw in some new spring isolators while you have everything apart.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts