Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just sharing some general impressions of my new '08 Hemi Overland that I've had for only one month. Just got back from a trip from Spokane, WA, to San Luis Obispo, CA, and back. Here are a few of my thoughts:

1. I am amazed at the QD II in deep snow even with the stock G/Years.

2. Comfort on long haul days is very impressive, better than expected.

3. Gas mileage on the 2,600 mile trip was 17.11 actual while the dash computer said it was 17.7. This included a lot of Hwy 1 twisty driving along the CA coast. When I returned home last night it had only 4,000 miles so the mileage should improve a bit in the future. I've read that mileage is affected about 1 mpg for having fulltime 4 wheel drive but that's a price I'm willing to pay to have it.

4. I used almost 1 Qt of oil in the first 4,000 miles but that should settle down over the next few thousand miles as the engine gets broken in. My Wrangler started out using some oil but uses very little now requiring no additions between 6,000 mile oil changes.

5. I checked the odometer for accuracy against my Garmin 496 GPS and found that it's virtually dead accurate, near zero error. The speedometer, however, is about 1 1/2 mph optomistic at 70 mph.

6. It handled very well on twisty mountain roads for having such a high CG.

7. Nav and Sat radio are worth the $$ on trips like this.

Overall, we're extremely happy with it and plan on running the wheels off of it in the coming years!! And we couldn't be happier with all the chrome trim and the general good looks of the Commander.

Started in snow country:

Northern CA coastline:

Tight squeeze through a Redwood:

On Pismo Beach. No snow, barefoot in the sand.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Very Nice looking Commander, Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very nice commander and nice pics! Just curious, did that chrome cap come factory on your Overland?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry didn't specify, I meant to say the fuel door gas cap...

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts
Very nice pics. Do you have any larger resolution of the 2nd and 3rd ones that you could email me or give me a link ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys.

VTCmndr, the chrome gas cap is Mopar and that's the one mod I've done so far. Plan to keep it very close to stock except for some G/Year Silent Armours when the original tires wear out.

Jeep 5253, these pics are on my photobucket and the link is below. I'd be happy to email them to you, however, just PM me with your email if you want.

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r240/normlunt/

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Good to hear about your trip, Norm. Great pics.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
What is the max clearance on that tree? I think I might have to air-down when we go there in the future...

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I might as well include what's in my hanger ... that's sort of like a garage, isn't it? It's a 2002 Maule 260C, which I'm selling this spring or summer and getting out of aviation for the 2nd time in my life (due to my son's death in an airplane in June, 2008).

This is at a remote grass strip called Magee, in N. Idaho. A river runs through it.

Here's another favorite in my garage. The first is a glamor shot by Motor Trend I pulled off their site and the 2nd is me driving on a race track for a "track day". It's a 2007 Corvette Z06.

On the long straight at Spokane Raceway Park (a 2.5 mile road racetrack) I'm able to accelerate to ~170 mph before braking for a turn. But offroad in a Jeep and climbing up a very steep hill is just as much of a thrill.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Who doesn't love a 'Vette?, and to drive one on a track? Cool!-43:icon_biggrin:
ps:I clicked on the link...beautiful tribute.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Perhaps my favorite vehicle of all, the '04 Rubicon:

This is steep. Both axles locked up and workin' and Rubi makes it. Fun.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
My 1985 Yamaha VMAX that I bought new and it's in absolute pristine condition even with 50,000 miles. I'll never sell it! ((1985 was the first year for the VMAX))

My 2002 KTM 520 EXC pictured here with me and my departed son high on the off-road-legal trails in the Washington Cascades. The KTM EXC series are the most incredible off-road motorcycles:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
That's a nice bunch of toys you have there. Your XK looks just like mine did, but only for a couple of months until I decided to start putting mods on it..... I like the silver.:pimp:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Norm, I know that kind of love for family and life. You are a blessed man.
Thanks, TYMAC. My new mantra in life is, "I am thankful that I had so much to lose". I miss him more than anything or anyone else in the world.

Here he is beside his '05 Z51 Corvette at a track day in California. It's now in my garage ((so I guess it belongs in this post)) and I don't know if I can bring myself to sell it. Each time I drive it I am flooded with memories. It was originally mine and he sold his '99 Vette and took this one when I got the '07 Z06. We shared all our numerous hobbies ... we were partners in crime.

Thanks for 34 incredible years, son.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts