Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we'll be driving down to AZ for Christmas - from CO, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any trails between Heber and Payson, or Payson and Mesa that they'd recommend? I've seen information on the Sunflower Mine off of 87, but it's always better to talk with someone that's been on the trail. Thx!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sunflower is great or I just went to a place out here that is off of Bush Highway which is also off the 87. There is also a place north of Fountain Hills called Rio Verde and thats fun too. What dates are you coming out here. We should meet up and I will let 49ersfan know you are coming down too.This is what the place looks like off of Bush Highway. There are more pictures under the picture forums and the title is Some one found mud in AZ

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
There will be snow in NE Arizona during December, I haven't player in snow yet and would certainly join if the opportunity avails itself.

There are some neat trails around O'Leary Peak or the Kaibab National Forest.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
bjamrow -
I went to school in Flagstaff and spent many days (and nights) driving around an area near there. I know it's a little north of where you're looking to 'wheel but if you can get to the Cinders Recreation area, I think you'd have a great time.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreation/peaks/ohv-cinder-hills.shtml

I spent a lot of my first year's college fund buying (after breaking) parts on my old '78 K5. Mom was thrilled. There are miles of trails and the terrain consists of pea-gravel sized lava rock from the nearby volcanoes. You can drive the ridges of some of the volcanoes and even drive into the bowls if you choose. You can spend all day exploring the easier routes but if you get the bug - gas it and try a hillclimb or two. I've been trying to get back there for 20 years. There's no rock crawling, little mud (though the time of season, you may find some) but miles of trails that get challenging when they get a little steeper. I found some other trails up in the San Francisco Peaks area, but I don't remember enough to help you get there - I just know they exist! Anyway, have a great time, Northern Arizona is one of my favorite places on the planet, I miss it. By the way, I broke most often in or near Sedona. It's a beautiful place to send Blazer parts to heaven.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depending on how much snow they have up on the Rim, we might be going through Flagstaff instead - so that might be an option, thanks KMAX. It's looking like I'll be free to go out and play on Saturday, December 27th...should have commitments with the family done by then - maybe I'll throw a post up on the trail run section and see who we can get?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts