Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did some surgery on the commander tonight. the rubbing on the tire wells was driving me crazy.

i cut the plastic out. and left a little.

there was a huge hole i filled in. a little tin, some welding, some grinding, no more hole.

the piece to fill the hole.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here it is finished

tire on lots more room.

the passenger side sucks. i just bent back the seam. and ziptied the plastic to cover the air-conditioning lines. i then used bedliner like i did on the drivers side. no more rubbing, the wife is happier and so am I!:D

passenger side finished, lines covered, seam bent back. bedlinered.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Never seace to amaze us!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
as a sx tech in lasik eye sx i must say you do nice patch work....lol

·
2,248 Posts
Testa,

In a previous life, (about 25 years ago), I was a C.O.T. before I started designing Surgery Centers. I figure you will know what a C.O.T. is.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
HueyPilotVN said:
Testa,

In a previous life, (about 25 years ago), I was a C.O.T. before I started designing Surgery Centers. I figure you will know what a C.O.T. is.
yes sir i sure do...i don't want to hijack this thread so i'll send you a PM.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
that is the same way I had to cut my wheel well on the driverside. I did not mess around with the other side with all those lines. But for some reason the driver side is the only side that really rubed. That pinch weld sure is a bastard to hammer down but very fun haha

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i hammered mine down, i should have used pliers to bend it over first. i broke some of the rossett welds, so i had to weld those back together.

on the passengerside i used my pliers first and then drove it home with the 3 lb mini sludge hammer.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Same thing I did on mine, but didn't fill the hole...

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it goes into the unbody frame. i didn't want a bunch of crap going in there and rusting everything out.

i bit extreme, "but thats how i roll." (scrubs quote)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
4.7commander said:
i bit extreme, "but thats how i roll." (scrubs quote)
werd!:D

Looking good. You sure have put a hell of a lot of work into your Xk and it's paying off really well. Thats a bad ass looking Commander.:cool:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I did the same zip-tie technique.... the other day, turning into my driveway, the zip-ties finally gave out. Gotta figure out some other way to cover them.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i was thinking about it yesterday, watching TV.

i think it might be better to make a plate to protect those lines. i just don't trust the plastic.

so much to do so little time,

i still can't believe they put the lines running through the wheel well. what were they thinking?

so if you're wheels and tires are hitting like mine, my winch and bumper must not be weighing the front end down as much as i thought. interesting. i think my winch and bumper lowers the front by .25", at the most.

·
Registered
40 Posts
4.7commander said:
i was thinking about it yesterday, watching TV.

i think it might be better to make a plate to protect those lines. i just don't trust the plastic.

so much to do so little time,

i still can't believe they put the lines running through the wheel well. what were they thinking?

so if you're wheels and tires are hitting like mine, my winch and bumper must not be weighing the front end down as much as i thought. interesting. i think my winch and bumper lowers the front by .25", at the most.
Ya know, I have been doing some thinking about this and other methods of lifting the Commanders. I wonder if the spring rate is different for the 4.7 and the 5.7 hemi. One has to weigh more than the other, and usually mopar has different spring codes for the different spring weights. For example, I would be really surprised if your 4.7 front strut springs are the same spring rate as mine, otherwise my lighter 3.7 sport would "sport" more lift from the factory. This said, you can do some research on the spring rates to get that front end back up to compensate for the winch setup. Probably a lot cheaper than the Old Man Emu setups. Another option is to use the preload spacer out of a skyjacker kit. I am not referring to the whole front end assembly, but just the .25" preload spacer that gives more like .5-1" of lift.

-Jared

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i like the idea of new springs. i don't want the front end any more stiff then it already is.

my toyota drove like a caddy with the springs i had on it. it was nice, but it leaned a bit when you took a corner. so not that soft. i just want a little more height with a little softer ride up front.

so far i like the rear, i bilstien shocks in the rear with 255/70 valving, they are perfect with the commander. and the rear springs are about perfect for my taste. although some long length springs would be better. more suspension travel!

i'm going to take a trip out to the junkyard and take some measurements of coil springs on some GC's and other coils to see what i can find in the way of lifted rear springs for the commanders rear end.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You should see what my lines on that passenger side look like...I had to take the plastic cover completely off... and then pull all four back into that corner...It's quite an interesting situation... and just two of those are AC lines btw... the other two carry engine coolant through them...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts