Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you folks can't get more than 200 miles/tank, then I don't know what to tell you.

My 4x4 Limited w/Hemi is getting (with cruise on travelling level pavement and per the EVIC average over 1-3 minutes):

65MPH: 19.5mpg

60MPH: 21.0mpg

55MPH: 24.5mpg -- yes, that's NOT a typo.

These figures were repeatable, and real. Give it a try and let us know how you fare. The MDS works as advertised, but if you mash on that Hemi, it will suck down fuel like a freshman sucks down beer.

Biggest killer of mileage w/the Hemi: Stop-n-Go traffic.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tried an experiment today - a trip to the local Wal-Mart, some 6-7 miles away.

Being nice and using cruise when possible @ 50mph to make most use of MDS: 14.0 MPG

Driving like normal: 12.2 MPG

I will be driving a few hundred miles to Tallahassee in 2 weeks; I plan to cruise at 65 and see what kind of mileage I get. I'll post the results. I still think we can get VERY good mileage from the Hemi on non-neighborhood trips.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've also noticed that on grades, get off of cruise control.

As the Jeep goes down hill, I feel the bump of the engine going from 4 to 8 cyl. Purpose seems to have more engine drag to keep the right speed. Then the trans will shift to 4th gear (tach jumps and the MPG falls).

Of course, it is good when there is radar at the bottom of the hill, but I've found cruise control gave me 17.5 MPG vs my foot, gave 20.5 MPG (over a 20 mile test course, 60 MPG, with sufficient traffic that you couldn't go much faster without many lane changes).

BTW, I did reset the MPG guage once I got up to highway speeds. And now, I have just over 500 miles on it.

It is scary to see the MPG being about 11 MPG on a cold engine. But since my round trip to the office is 3 miles, I still get 3 days per gallon<G>.

Tom

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here in Southern CA, if I drove under 65 MPH, I would get blasted off the road.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Those figures (like 19 mph, 24mpg) are nothing but electronic bogus. If you start them on expressway, they show up for a few seconds but then they slide down real fast ending around 13.5 on expressway 12 in city. But that's how the the vehicle was rated. Not in your wildest dreams will you get 19 mph on it. For 2000 miles my average mileage (based on actual amount of fuel pumped vs miles driven) is exactly 12.09 mph. Average distance on gas tank (with about 18 gallons average fill-up) is 220 miles. 'Nuff Said.:mad:

·
Registered
396 Posts
My numbers are like Mikey's.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The figures I cited were the averages reported by the EVIC after 4-5 minutes of driving with the cruise control set to those speeds on level pavement.

·
Registered
36 Posts
while checking out that mds reset, I found some interesting things about the 300c evic. They say it works with other DC vehicles. Does anybody know anything about this with the Commander or even Grand Cherokees?

On an 8 hour drive yesterday I found there's a data display easter egg in the 300C Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC).

There are 7 pages of additional EVIC data you can access by pressing mode (music note) and compass on the steering wheel simultaneously for about 10 seconds. Use the leftmost Up/Dn arrows to scroll through the pages.

Also:

While in the odometer mode with the ignition switch in the On position and the engine not running, depressing the
odometer/trip odometer switch for about six seconds will display the engine hours information. Holding this switch
depressed while turning the ignition switch from the Off position to the On position will initiate the EMIC self-diagnostic
actuator test. Refer to the instrument cluster diagnosis and testing service information for additional details on
this cluster function. The EMIC microprocessor remembers which display mode is active when the ignition switch is
turned to the Off position, and returns the VFD display to that mode when the ignition switch is turned On again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was trying to duplicate those two tricks with the evic in the commander. If you turn the key to on then off to on three times it will display "DTC report"...done. Then I tried messing with various button combinations. Now I get DTC report p0585......done. p0585 is Cruise Control Multi-Function Input "A"/"B" Correlation. Don't know what it means but I was messing with the cruise control buttons. Anybody know what that means. I haven't driven it yet but hopefully it is no big deal. Is there a way to reset codes without code reader? I am still very curious to know if there is any other info the evic will display.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I held the C/T switch for about 5 seconds and got "Variance = 8" on the display. Hitting SELECT will cycle it up to 16 and around again. I don't know what it's for. Couldn't get anything else to display.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JoeTampa said:
I held the C/T switch for about 5 seconds and got "Variance = 8" on the display. Hitting SELECT will cycle it up to 16 and around again. I don't know what it's for. Couldn't get anything else to display.

That is for setting the compass variance manually - magnetic versus true north. IIRC, it's in the Commander user manual.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok, this may be a stupid question but how do you guys go about testing mpgs other than the EVIC.

I want to try and get an accurate count. Could someone post a step by step process of what you guys do to calculate this? Like reset this and reset this and then drive somewhere...etc.

It seems like the only way to get good mpg is by using cruise control. lol!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have no idea how this works in cars, but what you are "blindly" trying out may be more of a problem for you later on ... we build machines where such functions change certain settings that are NOT intended for the user to mess with. As an example, we can set modes to optimize for use here or overseas, power settings, etc. with which users cannot only mess up their systems, but "break" them. I would stay away from "playing" without knowing the consequences. Only my four cents ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Faustus said:
I have no idea how this works in cars, but what you are "blindly" trying out may be more of a problem for you later on ... we build machines where such functions change certain settings that are NOT intended for the user to mess with. As an example, we can set modes to optimize for use here or overseas, power settings, etc. with which users cannot only mess up their systems, but "break" them. I would stay away from "playing" without knowing the consequences. Only my four cents ;)
I think if we take out the catalytic converter and replace it with a flux capacitator, you would be able to improve gas consumption by using biodegradable products. :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just my opinion and I'm new on this forum but there appears to be quite a few posts on milage, regardless of the drivetrain installed. We all knew we were buying a 4700lb rectangle with apparently very little aerodynamic considerations by Jeeps design team, who other than me, thought the milage would be poor and not whats rated, just like every other vehicle I've owned, the rating never works out in the real world , it just seem to me that buying a large SUV isn't the best move if milage concerns are on the top of your priority list.

·
Registered
33 Posts
nutsnbolts said:
I think if we take out the catalytic converter and replace it with a flux capacitator, you would be able to improve gas consumption by using biodegradable products. :D
I was getting great mileage until someone stole my Space Modulator!
Line art Cartoon Coloring book Clip art Black-and-white

·
Registered
54 Posts
Todd Abbott said:
Just my opinion and I'm new on this forum but there appears to be quite a few posts on milage, regardless of the drivetrain installed. We all knew we were buying a 4700lb rectangle with apparently very little aerodynamic considerations by Jeeps design team, who other than me, thought the milage would be poor and not whats rated, just like every other vehicle I've owned, the rating never works out in the real world , it just seem to me that buying a large SUV isn't the best move if milage concerns are on the top of your priority list.
We all love the suv, we just like to complain about something. Otherwise, we'd be driving something that is ugly just to have 50 mpg.

·
Registered
401 Posts
nutsnbolts said:
I'm having mine installed this weekend...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts